1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441708 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #975 on: May 25, 2021, 02:30:52 PM »
I be intrigued to know how many games our current squad you think should have won in the premiership across the 38 game season? Bearing in mind that two managers with very different philosophies could not get anything out of them at that level.

He was commenting on the Bruno Labaddia post and comparing his record to West Brom’s. Feels like we’re constantly slipping back to Bilic and Allardyce debate in veiled ways all the time.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #976 on: May 25, 2021, 02:40:19 PM »
He was commenting on the Bruno Labaddia post and comparing his record to West Brom’s. Feels like we’re constantly slipping back to Bilic and Allardyce debate in veiled ways all the time.

You're right, and I look forward to the next manager taking over and focusing on the season ahead. At present I put us at 70/30% odds against promotion next season but will reevaluate that once we have a manager and after the transfer window has closed and we can judge the squad we have more accurately. I just hope we avoid doing a Stoke.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #977 on: May 25, 2021, 02:40:50 PM »

What happened to Bruno Labbadia who was very strongly linked and suggested to have had advanced talks with us before we focused on Bilic? I will actually Google it but I remember researching him a lot last time and being quite taken by him!
I get German satellite tv and haven't seen him linked to any clubs since being sacked by Hertha Berlin last January. And there have been quite a few vacancies. According to Wikepidia he had a win percentage of 28% and lasted 28 matches. Having said that, his teams play decent attacking football, but I get the impression with him that alot is down to charisma and creating a good team spirit. How that would work over here I've no idea.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #978 on: May 25, 2021, 02:41:48 PM »
Bournemouth are also in the market for a new manager so I believe. Surely a more attractive proposition than we are?

Did Woodgate get sacked? Or was he only a caretaker?

He/him

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #979 on: May 25, 2021, 02:44:32 PM »
I get German satellite tv and haven't seen him linked to any clubs since being sacked by Hertha Berlin last January. And there have been quite a few vacancies. According to Wikepidia he had a win percentage of 28% and lasted 28 matches. Having said that, his teams play decent attacking football, but I get the impression with him that alot is down to charisma and creating a good team spirit. How that would work over here I've no idea.

Sounds like a German version of Kevin Keegan. I think whoever it has must ideally have some experience of management in England, else it is a massive gamble that we end up with another Pepe Mel.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #980 on: May 25, 2021, 02:51:22 PM »
Sounds like a German version of Kevin Keegan. I think whoever it has must ideally have some experience of management in England, else it is a massive gamble that we end up with another Pepe Mel.
Then you'd have ruled out Daniel Farke, Nuno and Hassenhuttl, to name just 3 off the top of my head. Klopp had never managed outside of Germany.
I think its a gamble with any manager wherever they come from. However, if their track record is good enough elsewhere, I think its a gamble worth taking.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:53:31 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #981 on: May 25, 2021, 02:54:41 PM »
Then you'd have ruled out Daniel Farke, Nuno and Hassenhuttl, to name just 3 off the top of my head.
I think its a gamble with any manager wherever they come from. However, if their track record is good enough elsewhere, I think its a gamble worth taking.

I'm not saying never do it, just weight up the risks involved against the other options. We as a club have chosen to employ a very short term strategy. As much as in an ideal world we would seek to do a Norwich / Daniel Farke we passed that opportunity up when we sacked Bilic (sorry to bring him up again). Now, it is imperative we get promoted within the next two season whilst we still have parachute payments. So we don't have time for someone to come in who doesn't understand the league, to learn the ropes. Whoever gets the job needs to hit the ground running.

Pie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #982 on: May 25, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »
Are we good enough for the top six though? I think it is highly debatable.

- Last time out we had a young Nathan Ferguson playing out of his skin until Christmas
- Edwards played an important role off the bench, I'd be surprised if he even features
- Sawyers and Livermore, after the last 12 months they aren't going to be any better, slower & older
- Our limited choice of strikers is now even worse than last time in the championship
- Dianganna has been damaged by Allardyce
- Wilder already has binned off Robinson, and is favourite for the job
- Everyone thinks Pereira is going, our talisman

Bilic got every drop out of the squad to get us to 83 points, including the foresight to bring in a few players from the academy. Whoever comes in this summer IMV will not be as effective and is working with a team with no strength in depth, so as soon as we get into November time and a few injuries kick in then we could tumble into mid-table very quickly. If we hire someone like Wilder then it also requires a complete rebuild of the squad to suit his brutal physical brand of defensive football.

The best thing I can say is that we are not the only club entering into next season in the championship in a mess.

But remember how we felt in the summer Bilic was appointed? I rememebr very similar feelings regarding the quality, and lack of numbers within the squad. We then managed to sign some good players at the end of the window and had Ferguson and O'Shea come through the ranks. Whats to say we won't have a similar situation next season.

I'm warming towards Lampard only if he realy has the desire to spend a few years at the club developing it. I can accept being used as a stepping stone but not at the first opportunity. He neds to prove his long term worth with a club.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #983 on: May 25, 2021, 03:14:29 PM »
Now, it is imperative we get promoted within the next two season whilst we still have parachute payments. So we don't have time for someone to come in who doesn't understand the league, to learn the ropes. Whoever gets the job needs to hit the ground running.
You presumably wouldn't think that just after being promoted would be a good time for someone to learn the ropes either, which leaves me wondering exactly when an appropriate time would actually be?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #984 on: May 25, 2021, 03:27:46 PM »
Bournemouth are also in the market for a new manager so I believe. Surely a more attractive proposition than we are?

In what way? If you want to live by the coast then yes, otherwise we are a bigger catch than Bournemouth.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #985 on: May 25, 2021, 03:28:19 PM »
You're right, and I look forward to the next manager taking over and focusing on the season ahead. At present I put us at 70/30% odds against promotion next season but will reevaluate that once we have a manager and after the transfer window has closed and we can judge the squad we have more accurately. I just hope we avoid doing a Stoke.

I haven’t actually noticed but who are your ideal candidates?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #986 on: May 25, 2021, 03:29:27 PM »

Sounds like Bilic!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #987 on: May 25, 2021, 04:26:00 PM »
In what way? If you want to live by the coast then yes, otherwise we are a bigger catch than Bournemouth.

I see them as a well run club with stable ownership and an identity. Add in the location and yes it is far more attractive IMO.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #988 on: May 25, 2021, 04:31:57 PM »
Mellon has left Dundee by mutual consent. Time to be worried.
MAGA!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #989 on: May 25, 2021, 04:38:29 PM »
Mellon has left Dundee by mutual consent. Time to be worried.

It's more like "mutual consent". Fans unhappy with style of play, ignoring youth players. Chairman saying they want someone to match their long term vision. He's been sacked. Shouldn't be on our radar having managed no higher than League One.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #990 on: May 25, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »
It's more like "mutual consent". Fans unhappy with style of play, ignoring youth players. Chairman saying they want someone to match their long term vision. He's been sacked.

Sounds like Sam when he left West Ham and Everton...

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #991 on: May 25, 2021, 04:48:31 PM »
Maresca set to take the Parma job so that rules him off the list.
Will be interesting to see how he gets on. May be one for the future.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #992 on: May 25, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
Will be interesting to see how he gets on. May be one for the future.

Glad he's got a job but glad he's not here. Hope he does well though of course.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #993 on: May 25, 2021, 05:04:29 PM »
Sounds like Sam when he left West Ham and Everton...

No idea why you've mentioned Allardyce? He was sacked by Everton and West Ham didn't offer him a new contract therefore effectively sacking him (he subsequently said he wouldn't have signed a new deal anyway). Nothing like the way the Mellon departure has been presented.  ???
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #994 on: May 25, 2021, 05:30:03 PM »
Just a horrible thought.
I would love to see lampard as coach/  manager, if it happened he wouldn't walk down to Aston to pick up Mr. Terry would he as ass coach?
Surely not?

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #995 on: May 25, 2021, 05:41:28 PM »
Just a horrible thought.
I would love to see lampard as coach/  manager, if it happened he wouldn't walk down to Aston to pick up Mr. Terry would he as ass coach?
Surely not?

Ass coach is more Grealish's department
Allllllll aboard

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #996 on: May 25, 2021, 05:45:36 PM »
Just a horrible thought.
Surely not?

I would hope the board aren't stupid enough to associate themselves with someone like Terry, certainly not at our club and with our history.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #997 on: May 25, 2021, 08:19:19 PM »
I see Jokanovic is also in the frame according to Alan Nixon in the mail, 2 promotions to his name and plays positive football,
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #998 on: May 25, 2021, 08:25:04 PM »
I see Jokanovic is also in the frame according to Alan Nixon in the mail, 2 promotions to his name and plays positive football,

He said Sheff Utd are quite far down the way with him but it ain't over till it's over i guess.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #999 on: May 25, 2021, 09:41:23 PM »
As Enzo has today been appointed Parma manager I'd be happy with Lampard.   Massive opportunity missed with Enzo, will probably be managing Juve or Milan in 2 years. 

Big Sam said he'd told the board we should appoint a 'young and ambitious manager'.  That ain't Wilder who looks past his sell-by date.

Lampard's odds are tumbling and Wilder's going the other way.  Bet Victor now have them joint favourite at 4/1.

Mark Robins should also be in the running, done a fantastic job for Cov and has an eye for talent.

We won't pay Jokanovic what he wants.