1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441701 times)

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2021, 02:38:30 PM »
I'd be amazed that a Premiership club will come in for Wilder. He and Eddie Howe would be the only two that I'd only ever want as manager.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2021, 03:19:22 PM »
I'd be amazed that a Premiership club will come in for Wilder. He and Eddie Howe would be the only two that I'd only ever want as manager.

Wilder has shown that he has now idea how to set-up a premier league team that can hurt the opposition and no idea what he is doing in the transfer market. Sheff Utd success in their first year was based solely on all out defence and failed as soon as they lost their keeper. So I agree with you, I do not see Chris Wilder managing again in the premiership, unless of course he gets another championship club promoted and then gets them relegated on the back of it.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2021, 03:22:37 PM »
Certainly the calibre and stock of our last 2 managers has exceeded expectations when appointed even if both have ultimately failed.

Bilic didn't fail, he got us promoted at the first attempt after rebuilding the team in one summer. Relegation this season was a given with our budget. Like Allardyce didn't work out but I wouldn't class relegation and his time as a failure either - it was fairly inevitable. Houdini could not have kept us up given the strength of the premiership (40 points required for safety) and our meagre resources.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »
Wilder has shown that he has now idea how to set-up a premier league team that can hurt the opposition and no idea what he is doing in the transfer market. Sheff Utd success in their first year was based solely on all out defence and failed as soon as they lost their keeper. So I agree with you, I do not see Chris Wilder managing again in the premiership, unless of course he gets another championship club promoted and then gets them relegated on the back of it.

I think this gets lost by many due to the fact that they finished 9th. They had 0 GD 39 f & 39 A...only the top 3 let in fewer but only Newcastle, Norwich and Watford scored fewer.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #879 on: May 24, 2021, 03:45:16 PM »
Bilic didn't fail, he got us promoted at the first attempt after rebuilding the team in one summer. Relegation this season was a given with our budget. Like Allardyce didn't work out but I wouldn't class relegation and his time as a failure either - it was fairly inevitable. Houdini could not have kept us up given the strength of the premiership (40 points required for safety) and our meagre resources.

Bilic was given a two year brief to get us out of the Championship . Hardly failed on that basis. Doing it at first attempt did him no favours !

Sacked after 4 wins in 8 months. He failed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #880 on: May 24, 2021, 03:53:09 PM »
Sacked after 4 wins in 8 months. He failed.

he didn't, the club failed him !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #881 on: May 24, 2021, 03:55:58 PM »
he didn't, the club failed him !

We'll never agree on this. Well out of his depth.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #882 on: May 24, 2021, 04:08:28 PM »
We'll never agree on this. Well out of his depth.

Got us promoted a year earlier than planned.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #883 on: May 24, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »
Got us promoted a year earlier than planned.

Stumbled over the line with the highest budget in the division and the only Champions League class player at that level.

A 2 year plan doesn't mean you don't try to get promoted in the 1st season, and achieving said promotion doesn't absolve you of all responsibility for said disastrous 2nd season.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #884 on: May 24, 2021, 04:19:46 PM »
Stumbled over the line with the highest budget in the division and the only Champions League class player at that level.

A 2 year plan doesn't mean you don't try to get promoted in the 1st season, and achieving said promotion doesn't absolve you of all responsibility for said disastrous 2nd season.
Achieving a set target a season/ 12 months ahead of schedule doesn’t mean you failed either !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #885 on: May 24, 2021, 04:24:02 PM »
Can we leave this Bilic discussion for another topic?  ::)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »
Achieving a set target a season/ 12 months ahead of schedule doesn’t mean you failed either !
This has to be the biggest myth going. He didn't achieve it early, he merely hit his target. Do you really think the board said "don't worry, this is a two year project, the first year's a free hit, so just chill Slav, have a fag and take your time"
He would have been tasked with getting promoted at the earliest opportunity, simple as, no way would he have been given a 2 year window! If he hadn't got us up first year, he may have been retained, but he just as likely would not.
The fact that the second half of his first season and the first of his second were consistently poor, along with his public criticism of the board and his ever deteriorating demeanour meant he had made his position untenable.
He ad t goo Tom.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #887 on: May 24, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »

Don't teams cut their cloth accordingly. If you look at Sheff Utd's team and squad you would hardly play like 1970 Brazil...The guy got Sheff Utd to 9th. The goal keeper debate is funny to me, Wilder got Henderson to come therefore is a good signing. If Henderson was so brilliant and the future for goalkeeping in England why didn't other teams higher up get him? Its like saying Wilder's so lucky because he signed a good player who did well for him, imagine if he didn't....Can you imagine if Ferguson hadn't signed Cantona he wouldn't have done as well....But he did. Isn't that part of management.
Everyone mentions Brewster and McBurnie but don't seem to mention Stevens, Fleck, Lundstrum, Norwood, Baldock etc. 
I personally am not sure about Wilder but to be perfectly honest when you put him up against some of the other "top" candidates his body of work stands up.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #888 on: May 24, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »
Can we leave this Bilic discussion for another topic?  ::)

The post that started the usual staunch defence of the failed Croatian was merely me highlighting that our last 2 managerial appointments have been more ambitious names than we expected. The hoped response would be speculation about people who may appear out of reach (but not unrealistically so).

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #889 on: May 24, 2021, 04:44:24 PM »
Don't teams cut their cloth accordingly. If you look at Sheff Utd's team and squad you would hardly play like 1970 Brazil...The guy got Sheff Utd to 9th. The goal keeper debate is funny to me, Wilder got Henderson to come therefore is a good signing. If Henderson was so brilliant and the future for goalkeeping in England why didn't other teams higher up get him? Its like saying Wilder's so lucky because he signed a good player who did well for him, imagine if he didn't....Can you imagine if Ferguson hadn't signed Cantona he wouldn't have done as well....But he did. Isn't that part of management.  Everyone mentions Brewster and McBurnie but don't seem to mention Stevens, Fleck, Lundstrum, Norwood, Baldock etc. I personally am not sure about Wilder but to be perfectly honest when you put him up against some of the other "top" candidates his body of work stands up.

I am more than happy to mention Stevens, Fleck, Lundstrum, Norwood and Baldock. They are are maintstays in a Sheff Utd team that has finished 20th and averaged less than as goal a game for two years.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #890 on: May 24, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
I am more than happy to mention Stevens, Fleck, Lundstrum, Norwood and Baldock. They are are maintstays in a Sheff Utd team that has finished 20th and averaged less than as goal a game for two years.

Agree, it's like when commentators say "[insert name of any Albion defender/keeper] have had a good season"... erm no they haven't they've contributed to a defence that leaked 75 goals and got relegated.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #891 on: May 24, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm looking forward to whoever comes next, got to be better than a manager who won 4 games in nearly 6 months of fixtures.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #892 on: May 24, 2021, 05:07:36 PM »
I'm looking forward to whoever comes next, got to be better than a manager who won 4 games in nearly 6 months of fixtures.

Agreed, especially seeing as he followed a guy who took 8 months to win his last 4 games.

8 league wins in 14 months... we deserve better.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #893 on: May 24, 2021, 05:33:07 PM »
Agreed, especially seeing as he followed a guy who took 8 months to win his last 4 games. 8 league wins in 14 months... we deserve better.

I presume you are including in your eight month period several months when no football was played whilst the league was suspended? You also haven't highlighted that we didn't lost many games either (just seven defeats over the whole season). I don't see any merit in comparing the number of wins we have achieved in the premiership with the championship. Our record last time out in our promotion campaign was 22 W, 17 D & 7 L. It would have been nice to have turned a few more of those draws into wins but considering we had a unreliable keeper and no goalscorer that was nevertheless very good. 

Regardless of whoever is in charge, does anyone on here expect us to get more than 83 points next season? I'd snatch your hand off for that now.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #894 on: May 24, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
I presume you are including in your eight month period several months when no football was played whilst the league was suspended? You also haven't highlighted that we didn't lost many games either (just seven defeats over the whole season). I don't see any merit in comparing the number of wins we have achieved in the premiership with the championship. Our record last time out in our promotion campaign was 22 W, 17 D & 7 L. It would have been nice to have turned a few more of those draws into wins but considering we had a unreliable keeper and no goalscorer that was nevertheless very good. 

Regardless of whoever is in charge, does anyone on here expect us to get more than 83 points next season? I'd snatch your hand off for that now.

What are you on about? Boinging_along and myself highlighted the number of wins Allardyce and Bilic had in the last 14 months. No further input or nuance required if it was I'd have identified that over a third of that entire period and over half of the Bilić portion was played at the lower level.

I think the forum would be united in both expecting and demanding better.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #895 on: May 24, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »
I don't know where this expectation comes from, when we simply don't have the funds in the Premier League?

Modern Football is more about money and less about the skill of the Football Manager. 

That's why the price we get for Pereira is more important than the identity of the new Boss, this Summer.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #896 on: May 24, 2021, 06:09:06 PM »
If we are looking to just get back up for a season, Wilder is an ok shout.

If we are looking at the long term and aiming to stay up, I cannot see that he is the answer.

Surely the latter should be our sole aim.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #897 on: May 24, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »
It’s interesting that there is a desire to apply context to a Wilder team that finishing 9th in the premier league  one season, but was then on track for relegation. Yet there doesn’t seem to be the same desire to allow context to a manager who finished second in a league below but was on track to get relegated.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #898 on: May 24, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »
It’s interesting that there is a desire to apply context to a Wilder team that finishing 9th in the premier league  one season, but was then on track for relegation. Yet there doesn’t seem to be the same desire to allow context to a manager who finished second in a league below but was on track to get relegated.

I can hear the distant rumble of minds blowing as certain posters try to get their heads around the logic of this concept.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #899 on: May 24, 2021, 06:19:40 PM »
I seriously question the judgement of Wilder for:

1) swapping Robinson for Burke
2) recruiting 38 yr old Jagielka in Premier League

no thanks