1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441699 times)

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #850 on: May 23, 2021, 11:00:09 PM »
Christ on a Bike... Dreadful manager.

I thought you’d be impressed 😝
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #851 on: May 23, 2021, 11:14:19 PM »
Here's me thinking you wanted decent football? Blow me down...   :D

I do and like I said not my first choice but atheistically worse than Wilder or better than Wilder?  Worse than Allardyce or better than Allardyce? We have reached the point in the eye test where the optician is swapping lenses in and out of the frames and they aren't making a discernable difference.

I reiterate my short list is Appleton, Evatt and Robbins. It isn't the clubs nor many fans. I want high octane, possession orientated, defending is for wimps football. I want the full Ardiles anything else is a compromise I am not prepared to make.

None of which is likely to happen so if it's a pragmatic stodgy choice I really can't be asked to pick up the cudgels about a choice that I am largely indifferent about. Just spare me any coach where were are -------'s West Brom.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #852 on: May 24, 2021, 07:42:07 AM »
Karl Robinson has downplayed links to us and other Championship clubs, saying he has a long term contract with Oxford and “doesn’t have the energy” to talk about any other job.

Link looks tenuous and mostly fuelled by the bookies and his links to Allardyce, but it’s another name to the list.
https://www.witneygazette.co.uk/sport/19323398.oxford-united-boss-karl-robinson-west-brom-speculation/

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #853 on: May 24, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
We need to decide what the actual management set up at the club is.   If we are really running a DOF/coach model then players are just as, if not more important, than the man taking the coaching.    With the parachute money coming in, and the inevitable sale of Pereira on the way we should already be looking to cherry pick the best players from the Champ and even League One clubs, although they will of course be waiting for a call from a new PL team.  The suitability of any incoming coach should then be based on how well they will be able to work with the players in the squad/on the shopping list rather than based on budget for players that they can then spend.

Post Meggo, the club was at its healthiest when we properly worked this system (lets not get into the "Dowling is no Ashworth" conversation) and i for one would like to move back to that model working properly.   The issue we had last summer was that the transfer strategy seemed to be a complete mess with owner/DOF/recruitment and manger all pulling in different directions so we ended up with an unbalanced and unready squad. 

But the DOF is still there because the blame was spread and that shouldn't be the case. If recruitment is down to the recruitment manager/DOF and we end up with a squad not fit for purpose then the DOF needs to go.   If it is apparent that the coach cannot get the best out of the players at his disposal then its the coach that should go.  Clear lines.  It's not who is the best manager, but who is the best fit for the system we are operating.   

For example, from what i gather Wilder pretty much ruled the roost at Sheff Utd and although he may be a very good manager (lets pretend last season never happened all round) will he be a fit?  If the club really are looking at Wilder then i can only presume that we are moving back to the old school manager role and if that is the case do we even need a DOF?

Lampard worked well with a limited budget (for the Prem) and bringing through youngsters so would he actually be happier coaching?  I can't think for a minute why he would want to come here but it might be a better fit if we are to continue with Dowling as the man in charge.

In my experience it doesn't matter what the type of business/team is but success is always based on clear strategies and lines of responsibility.  Whenever i have been involved in organizations where there is uncertainty it invariably goes wrong at some point regardless of the talent involved.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:11:09 AM by Oldbury24 »

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #854 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:32 AM »
The biggest problem I see is convincing the new appointment that we are looking more than 12 months.  The reason I say that is we have an owner who is looking to sell and if we were promoted next season, the Lai would sell and then the new owner might want to get the managment structure.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #855 on: May 24, 2021, 10:09:49 AM »
The biggest problem I see is convincing the new appointment that we are looking more than 12 months.  The reason I say that is we have an owner who is looking to sell and if we were promoted next season, the Lai would sell and then the new owner might want to get the managment structure.

Lai didn't sell this time round so I wouldn't be so sure he would manage a sale next time should we get promoted.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #856 on: May 24, 2021, 10:11:24 AM »
Lai didn't sell this time round so I wouldn't be so sure he would manage a sale next time should we get promoted.

This season their were unknowns as to how Covid would affect clubs finances. I think he would next time, since Covid should have settled down and TV deals have been agreed, so clubs know what income they will recieve.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #857 on: May 24, 2021, 10:13:15 AM »

We need to spend at least two seasons in the PL and be seen as a side stabilising before Lai can even think to sell if he wants to recoup his outlay.  Thus this focus on a longer term (2 years is longer term now in football ffs) appointment.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:14:58 AM by Oldbury24 »

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #858 on: May 24, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
Lampard for me, maybe I'm blind but I see a young, dynanmic manager who got a big job too early but with the right resources could build a talented young squad who can play strong counter attacking football. He's probably looking at a prem surivival club next though in Nov/ December?

I still think it's nailed on Wilder though who would on the surface be a safe pair of hands for a championship club looking to rebuild. Others would be more risky.

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #859 on: May 24, 2021, 10:37:16 AM »
i see more votes have gone for mcinness and rightly  so its alright keep downing scottish football but has been dominated by the same two clubs for years of which aberdeen have had some victories under mcinness and winning the league cup just remember where did ferguson come from to the mancs plus albion had scottish players in the past and aproper captain while at the albion strong character which will be needed

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #860 on: May 24, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
Are we sure Lai still owns us ? Seem to be a fair few rumours to the contrary flying around
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #861 on: May 24, 2021, 11:53:49 AM »
i see more votes have gone for mcinness and rightly  so its alright keep downing scottish football but has been dominated by the same two clubs for years of which aberdeen have had some victories under mcinness and winning the league cup just remember where did ferguson come from to the mancs plus albion had scottish players in the past and aproper captain while at the albion strong character which will be needed

If McInnes never played for us his name would not have been mentioned by any wba fan.

Steve Clarke finished above McInnes with Kilmarnock, Jack Ross (former Sunderland manager) has just finished above Aberdeen with Hibernian. Albion connections aside then McInnes wouldn’t and shouldn’t be mentioned.

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #862 on: May 24, 2021, 12:14:03 PM »
If McInnes never played for us his name would not have been mentioned by any wba fan.

Steve Clarke finished above McInnes with Kilmarnock, Jack Ross (former Sunderland manager) has just finished above Aberdeen with Hibernian. Albion connections aside then McInnes wouldn’t and shouldn’t be mentioned.
i wasnt just meaning 1 season his whole tenure at aberdeen small minded to say the least 8)

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2021, 12:16:30 PM »

I agree, the decision on the new manager should come from the head not the heart.
Having said that our decision will come from the wallet.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »
i wasnt just meaning 1 season his whole tenure at aberdeen small minded to say the least 8)

Small minded  :D

Only takes 5 minutes of your time to look through Aberdeen’s fans opinions of him on their forums. Many are baffled as to why he’s even linked with us, will be glad to see the back of his ‘shocking’ tactics, begging him to come and sign some of the rubbish he’s signed for them. One fan even said if any club has an ambition of getting promoted to the premier league then McInnes won’t be the man for that. Another said his level should be the Salford job.

I’ll repeat my previous comment, if he had never played for us, his name wouldn’t be mentioned.

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #865 on: May 24, 2021, 12:36:33 PM »
I agree, the decision on the new manager should come from the head not the heart.
exactly .who do some folks think we are going to attract it will be a cheap option while this lot are in charge  :o

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #866 on: May 24, 2021, 01:17:09 PM »
McInnes is literally worse case scenario.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #867 on: May 24, 2021, 01:22:27 PM »
McInnes is dire and should never be a consideration. Aberdeen fans couldn't stand the football he was serving up

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #868 on: May 24, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »
McInnes is literally worse case scenario.
this time last week there were 3 votes they have more than trebled in number since .so not everyone would be dissapointed

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #869 on: May 24, 2021, 01:25:55 PM »
this time last week there were 3 votes they have more than trebled in number since .so not everyone would be dissapointed

They would be a few months into his appointment...

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #870 on: May 24, 2021, 01:35:52 PM »

Although we are well renowned for being penny pinchers I doubt that Bilic or Allardyce were 'cheap' options.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #871 on: May 24, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
Although we are well renowned for being penny pinchers I doubt that Bilic or Allardyce were 'cheap' options.

Certainly the calibre and stock of our last 2 managers has exceeded expectations when appointed even if both have ultimately failed.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #872 on: May 24, 2021, 01:55:21 PM »
I'm concerned Wilder has peaked after Sheff Utd , a bit like how Megson wasn't quite the same after leaving  the Albion . Very bitter and irate towards the end at Sheff Utd , if it's true he hanging about for another Premier job....well....
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #873 on: May 24, 2021, 02:00:41 PM »
I'm concerned Wilder has peaked after Sheff Utd , a bit like how Megson wasn't quite the same after leaving  the Albion . Very bitter and irate towards the end at Sheff Utd , if it's true he hanging about for another Premier job....well....

If he comes here it will only be because another Prem team wouldn't appoint him.
Realistically, of the teams looking for a manager in the Prem who would appoint Wilder.
Spurs/Palace/Wolves?
Can't see it myself.
So he rocks up here thinking he's better than he really is. Doesn't bode well does it?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #874 on: May 24, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
Certainly the calibre and stock of our last 2 managers has exceeded expectations when appointed even if both have ultimately failed.
Bilic was given a two year brief to get us out of the Championship . Hardly failed on that basis. Doing it at first attempt did him no favours !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas