1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441713 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #525 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Hells bells, are we really baulking at a £700k fee? And saying thats "unrealistic"? That does not bode well.
Not even bothered about Appleton personally, but if thats an indication of what the club are prepared to do or not do, its not good.

I’m with this. If we can’t afford 700k in compensation then we are struggling.

None of the current out of work managers - with the possible exception of Wilder - are any better in my view.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #526 on: May 20, 2021, 07:57:56 PM »
I doubt we could attract any of the above as a Premier League club Terzic perhaps, as a Championship club there is less than zero chance they aren't going to manage in a teir 2 league. That said Bilic and Cocu did sign up at Championship clubs but neither are in post two years on so I'm not sure that is a particularly good advertisement for the approach.  Incidentally Dieter Heckling last gig was at Hamburg and he failed to get them out of Bundesliga II which in relative terms is a fairly substantial under achievement.

The overseas manager market is a complete bust for this search thanks in large part to the new work permit regulations
Clubs like ours have indeed been slightly stiched up by the new post Brext regs, much as predicted, but the question is are such managers on our radar at all. England is still very much on the radar of the European managers. Our relegation makes us less attractive, but we are still generally seen as a club which is 'often in the Prem League'. I assume that came into Bilic's thinking when he accepted the job. Some may see us as a stepping stone, but we can still profit from that.
My point is, if you don't ask, you'll never know.   

PS. Dieter Hecking missed promotion on the last game of the season, which I don't think changes the fact he has a very solid record.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #527 on: May 20, 2021, 08:01:39 PM »
If we got lampard, would the magician have a lot of respect for him and stay?
I think and hope we build a team around him
I suppose I'm saying that the higher/ the more we'll known the coach the better the chances of him not leaving?
I don't like Wilder, Howe or Lampard for m, but it's west brom so maybe the cheapest again, but it'll be at least 1 million a year won't it?
 You'd think they'd be queing up

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #528 on: May 20, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
The idea of being known as Frank Lampards West Brom is horrifying  ;D

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #529 on: May 20, 2021, 08:30:55 PM »
Not fussed about Appleton but if £700 k is too much for us then we are in a poor state.
It's peanuts compared to what's been wasted on players.
Wilder is about as exciting as a trip to Rhyl.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #530 on: May 20, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »
The idea of being known as Frank Lampards West Brom is horrifying  ;D
I'm not so sure, it does kind if have a ring to it

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #531 on: May 20, 2021, 08:33:37 PM »
Frank Lampards Albion? Super Franks Super Baggies?

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #532 on: May 20, 2021, 08:46:11 PM »
I agree 700,000 seems a small amount if we really want the manager. The trouble is we live in a reality where our owner won't put any money in. When was the last time we actually "poached" a manager? Was it Di Matteo?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #533 on: May 20, 2021, 09:00:35 PM »
Di matteo and mowbray were the last 2 poached and both did well. I would prefer mowbray over some of those that have been suggested like john terry, graeme jones Appleton etc
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #534 on: May 20, 2021, 09:01:08 PM »
Surely no serious link has been made with Jones?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #535 on: May 20, 2021, 09:04:23 PM »
West Brom set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after departure of Sam Allardyce | @JPercyTelegraph reports

Hardly news, people have known about this since the end of April.
Gera, Gera, Gera

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #536 on: May 20, 2021, 09:04:27 PM »
I cannot believe monk is on the list and anyone has actually voted for racist Terry.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #537 on: May 20, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »
I cant believe Enzo Maresca is joint top. No first team management experience. Good lord.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #538 on: May 20, 2021, 09:13:28 PM »
Wilder and Dowling signing players , great :-[

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albertbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #539 on: May 20, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
Torn between Wilder and Lampard.
I don't get the demand for ex-players as boss - loved McInnes, Appleton and Maresca as players but no thanks.
Wilder would be the sensible option I guess, based on his work at Sheff United.
But I think Lampard got a rough deal at Chelsea (though, admittedly Tuchel is a few levels higher). I liked the fact Lampard nurtured some of the younger lads, something I'd really like to see happening at the Albion.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #540 on: May 20, 2021, 09:22:28 PM »
Hells bells, are we really baulking at a £700k fee? And saying thats "unrealistic"? That does not bode well.
Not even bothered about Appleton personally, but if thats an indication of what the club are prepared to do or not do, its not good.
Indeed. If he's of interest to them, ruling him out at the outset for the sake of £700k or so is madness.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #541 on: May 20, 2021, 09:23:12 PM »
I know the article is by Percy who always seems pretty well informed but I don't think that there is much here other than Wilder is a the clear front runner. Unless we can't land Wilder then I think everything else is a red herring.

Tactically Wilder has become associated with a 3-5-2 shape but prior to Sheffield United he worked with four man defences. If he is wedded to the back 3 it pretty much craters large parts of the squad.

Under those circumstances getting a coach like Appleton or Evatt  whose stock formation does not do this saves almost any amount of compensation and just one less transfer is going to save £700k
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #542 on: May 20, 2021, 09:32:06 PM »
I know the article is by Percy who always seems pretty well informed but I don't think that there is much here other than Wilder is a the clear front runner. Unless we can't land Wilder then I think everything else is a red herring.

Tactically Wilder has become associated with a 3-5-2 shape but prior to Sheffield United he worked with four man defences. If he is wedded to the back 3 it pretty much craters large parts of the squad.

Under those circumstances getting a coach like Appleton or Evatt  whose stock formation does not do this saves almost any amount of compensation and just one less transfer is going to save £700k
Would it not be classic Albion at the minute to appoint the one bloke who did worse than Bilic / Allardyce and is the most unsuited to the squad we have ?
That's not to mention leaving Sheff Utd under a bit of a cloud . I'm expecting Wilder now .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #543 on: May 20, 2021, 09:32:29 PM »
They could probably crowdfund £700k to get Appleton, but it would be ultra-embarrassing!!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #544 on: May 20, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »
West Brom set to hold talks with Chris Wilder after departure of Sam Allardyce | @JPercyTelegraph reports

The worlds most predictable football club strikes again. It's absolute paint-by-numbers stuff at this club, they have absolutely zero imagination or ambition to think even slightly outside the box.

We'll now be stuck with a squad full of fairly expensive wingers and a head coach who doesn't play wingers. So with all the upheaval ahead already, we now need to find buyers for Diangana, Robinson and possibly Grant as well. Braindead.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #545 on: May 20, 2021, 09:54:39 PM »
Sam's own interview backs up the fact we have been looking at his replacement for a while:

https://talksport.com/football/883880/sam-allardyce-admits-lied-west-brom-future-relegation/
Gera, Gera, Gera

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2021, 09:55:44 PM »
Strange to see people baulking and recoiling at Wilder but championing Appleton. In terms of what they have actually achieved in management that seems strange.

Also in regards to Robinson didn’t Wilder buy him from the championship? What’s to say he wouldn’t play him in the championship?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:58:06 PM by SirTonyM »

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2021, 10:02:37 PM »
Strange to see people baulking and recoiling at Wilder but championing Appleton. In terms of what they have actually achieved in management that seems strange.

Also in regards to Robinson didn’t Wilder buy him from the championship? What’s to say he wouldn’t play him in the championship?

He binned him off for Oli Burke...

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #548 on: May 20, 2021, 10:15:28 PM »
Would it not be classic Albion at the minute to appoint the one bloke who did worse than Bilic / Allardyce and is the most unsuited to the squad we have ?
That's not to mention leaving Sheff Utd under a bit of a cloud . I'm expecting Wilder now .
Completly depressing, if true. If Brewster failed to deliver in his 5-3-2 setup, is Grant going to do any better? Chances will be at an absolute premium. Will there be a place for any creative player(s)? Even if Pereira stays, what sort of a role would he be given? Even if Wilder did manage to get us promoted, what would we have to look forward to?  Trying to beat the 19 goals Sheff Utd managed this season?

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2021, 10:39:27 PM »
Not fussed about Appleton but if £700 k is too much for us then we are in a poor state.
It's peanuts compared to what's been wasted on players.
Wilder is about as exciting as a trip to Rhyl.

The Sun Centre with the Dragon Slide! Rhyl rocks!

That's far more exciting than Wilder and Appleton added together and squared.