1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441361 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2021, 02:39:54 PM »
Hodgson has forgotten more about football management than most will ever know.......

That saying always makes me smile. It could be suggested his vast experience in the game would be an asset.

Minor point perhaps but suggestions of decrepitude and senility aren't the stand out qualities I'd be looking for in any new manager  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »
I read the article about Maitland-Niles team talk before the Chelsea game. Why is he not on the list? ;)

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2021, 08:13:46 PM »
No thanks to Maresa. Another not experienced enough for what is a crucial, crucial season ahead. One for the future perhaps but let him pay his dues elsewhere.

He's had 2 seasons at Premier League level in England and Spain as Assistant Manager and a season in Serie B as an AM.  Plus a year as Elite Coach at Man City working with Pep.

Some progress as quickly in 2 yrs as others in 20.  I doubt Pep would have appointed him if he wasn't highly regarded and he delivered the PL2 trophy. 

There are no guarantees whoever you appoint.  As I originally suggested it's unlikely we'll appoint him but as an ex-Baggie,  I will be watching his managerial career with interest.  I suspect he's possibly being groomed to take over from Pep in due course. 

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:56 PM »
He's had 2 seasons at Premier League level in England and Spain as Assistant Manager and a season in Serie B as an AM.  Plus a year as Elite Coach at Man City working with Pep.

Some progress as quickly in 2 yrs as others in 20.  I doubt Pep would have appointed him if he wasn't highly regarded and he delivered the PL2 trophy. 

There are no guarantees whoever you appoint.  As I originally suggested it's unlikely we'll appoint him but as an ex-Baggie,  I will be watching his managerial career with interest.  I suspect he's possibly being groomed to take over from Pep in due course.

Andy Myers then?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2021, 08:17:33 PM »
Re. the Barnsley Manager they're just about to kick off in the 1st leg semi-final if you can catch it.

Be interesting to see this intensity of play he operates.

Also to scout Dike and Woodrow as potential signings if they don't go up.   Alex Mowatt too who is out of contract.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:20:56 PM by WBA »

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »
Andy Myers then?

Are you the Board stalker...lol  ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #281 on: May 17, 2021, 10:23:31 PM »
Are you the Board stalker...lol  ;D

Not normally mate no, coincidence if I've replied to a few of your posts. Re Maresca if he was British and hadn't donned the stripes would he get any more attention than Chelsea reserve coach (I'm led to believe) Andy Myers ? ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2021, 10:30:32 PM »

Not sure that I'd place any weight on winning P2.  They probably bought that too

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #283 on: May 18, 2021, 11:50:06 AM »
I think we can knock the Hodgson rumours on the head. He’s leaving Palace due to the pressure and rigours of top flight football. Don’t think a 73 year old wants a year in the championship...

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #284 on: May 18, 2021, 12:01:59 PM »
I think we can knock the Hodgson rumours on the head. He’s leaving Palace due to the pressure and rigours of top flight football. Don’t think a 73 year old wants a year in the championship...

Not that I think he'll come but if he's leaving due to pressures of top flight football, doesn't that suggest a job in not the premier league, i.e. championship?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2021, 12:09:32 PM »
Not that I think he'll come but if he's leaving due to pressures of top flight football, doesn't that suggest a job in not the premier league, i.e. championship?

Being in the Championship as Manager of Albion would have it's own pressures such as masterminding an immediate return to the PL.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2021, 12:13:53 PM »
He can come to the Hawthorns anytime for me, manager or not.
Could he mentor a young manager perhaps?

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »
Even if Roy's statement can be read as he's not taking a job in 'the top flight' I'd be surprised if he came here now.
We're looking for an immediate return, plus a squad rebuilding job and would hope that whoever does achieve that would be around to stabalise us in the PL - not the kind of job you want if you're 'winding down'

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2021, 12:38:34 PM »
Even if Roy's statement can be read as he's not taking a job in 'the top flight' I'd be surprised if he came here now.
We're looking for an immediate return, plus a squad rebuilding job and would hope that whoever does achieve that would be around to stabalise us in the PL - not the kind of job you want if you're 'winding down'

Does that not rule out the current incumbent then? Just asking.... ;)

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2021, 02:57:11 PM »
Not normally mate no, coincidence if I've replied to a few of your posts. Re Maresca if he was British and hadn't donned the stripes would he get any more attention than Chelsea reserve coach (I'm led to believe) Andy Myers ? ;)

Was only joking mate - good to 'meet' you.  Re Enzo, yes because he's been an Asst Manager at West Ham and Sevilla in La Liga and Ascoli in Serie B.  So he has three years management experience albeit as Asst though the Asst is often the person who does much of the prep and tactics.  If I remember correctly when he was at West Ham Pellegrini was ill for a few weeks and he took the reins including beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and the West Ham players were raving about him.

Maybe Big Sam in an advisory 'general' manager role for a year with Enzo as Head Coach might work. 

Of course being an ex-Baggie is a factor and I feel that is something that could appeal to him.  He is very highly regarded within the game (must be if Pep headhunted him) and sooner or later he's going to get a gig. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:59:04 PM by WBA »

WBA

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2021, 03:10:04 PM »
Re. the Barnsley Manager they're just about to kick off in the 1st leg semi-final if you can catch it.

Be interesting to see this intensity of play he operates.

Also to scout Dike and Woodrow as potential signings if they don't go up.   Alex Mowatt too who is out of contract.

Watched the game, Barnsley coach is a bit of a nutter and they just hoof the ball constantly to the front men.  Dike was very disappointing last night.  There were no Barnsley players I'd be interested in.  Swansea a different kettle of fish though and I really like their manager Steve Cooper.  There was one touch of class which won the game by Andre Ayew, brilliant but apparently he's on 100k a week!  He's out of contract in June but his wages and age are against him unless they go up!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2021, 10:34:57 PM »
Time to resurrect this thread then.

It’s going to be Wilder isn’t it?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

BlackCountryPride68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2021, 10:36:26 PM »
Time to resurrect this thread then.

It’s going to be Wilder isn’t it?

Please no. Terrible fit.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2021, 10:38:19 PM »
probably wilder - not thrilled but will wait and see

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2021, 10:39:02 PM »
There’s more chance of us staying up this season than this next appointment being exciting and forward-thinking.

I’m almost certain they’ll go with Wilder.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2021, 10:39:28 PM »
I’ll take it. New start, hopefully fresh ideas with Chris! (If it’s him)

sammyg

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:01 PM »
Be happy with Chris Wilder.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2021, 10:41:08 PM »
Of all the potential candidates you’d have to want Wilder because at least he has the recent track record, I would certainly prefer that to an Appleton or McInnes or the usual names that get bandied about.

Sadly I wanted Big Sam as I could see the improvement we were making so anything else is a disappointment and Wilder’s record in the transfer market of late has not been wonderful

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2021, 10:42:06 PM »
Absolutely dreading to think who the blokes in charge are going to appoint.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2021, 10:47:08 PM »
2018 LMA manager of the year runner up, 2019 LMA manager on the year .....

Not Klopp, Guardiola, Bielsa

The views on Wilder baffle me slightly, 4 promotions been successful at every team he’s been at. Had he been linked 12 months ago fans would have been besides themselves. Granted this season they have been awful which is why he’s been linked to the Albion job & not premier league sides like last year. I saw Bielsea came out the other day & praised him for what a superb job he did at Sheffield United & that he’l miss going up against him, praise like that from someone as knowledgeable as Bielsa speaks volumes about Wilders ability as a manager.

My massive reservation is you need someone strong in the technical role as his undoing undoubtedly was his big money signings in the past 12 months, I’d rather Wilder in as manager with a new DOF than Dowling stay on.