1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 441645 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »
Paul Cook did a great job at Wigan when they could hardly pay the players that hadn't left the club for reliable wages.  He's in a similar situation board-wise at Ipswich.  Probably one of the very few young managers that would regard WBA as an attractive proposition.

Please no going back to Appleton and Moore. 

Allardyce will only stay if he gets a free rein on our bank account.

I'd love Paul Cook here, but last year I got the impression he wouldn't be open to a modern head coach role, he would likely want full control of transfers.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2021, 03:33:22 PM »
I don’t understand the shouts for Lampard personally and why it would be ambitious.

The media have created the rhetoric that he did a great job at Derby. He didn’t. He finished 6th. He did no more than ok and had players like Harry Wilson, Mason Mount and Tomori. 

He then got the Chelsea job purely because he was an ex player, spent hundreds of millions and got sacked.

It hard to see how is next job isn’t back in the championship.

He may be able to get some Chelsea kids again, is that really suitable criteria?

Bakeyaface

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Hi all Fans,

Just a post for an update. I don't post much I admit, but usually when I do it's accurate (please feel free to check out my previous posts, if you can be bothered lol)

I won't elaborate too much but I do know someone who knows someone type thing - and my source is pretty accurate.

So Allardyce is willing to stay and the Board are happy to keep him here, the money side of things is fine. Allardyce is concerned about his health though so he is weighing up the possibility of walking from football all together - or at least in a high pressured role.

The board have more or less confirmed that Pereira and SJ are going to be sold - but all the funds recouped will go to the transfer budget. The Board are convinced we will have the Leagues best budget. We have also enquired about Yosulu on a permenant deal but the wages may be a sticking point, he is very settled despite it being a loan. Again though the Board are chancing their arm a bit on that.

If in the scenario Allardyce and the Board can't come to a solution, then they have 99% made up their mind that Chris Wilder is their preferred man. Hence they want the Allardyce decision soon as they don't want to lose out on Wilder either.

Again, I'm not saying this is bonified concrete information, and of course feel free to disregard it all, but the guy who usually tells me these things is bang on.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2021, 03:40:32 PM »
Thanks Bakey, you were spot on before and another poster who has proven very reliable for over a decade on here also backed up the Wilder bit. The E&S also seem to be suggesting as much.

Joe Masi alluded to something the other day where Allardyce has said he will need to speak to his wife before making a decision to see how "a season in the championship will effect them" so it makes sense if he is worried about the health side of things.

I think Wilder will be a mistake, but oh well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:42:18 PM by Baggies »
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »
I remember you Bakeyface. Thanks for coming back with this info.

Disappointing to hear they are determined to sell Pereira, that means they will likely lowball us on him in terms of a fee. Also not too happy about Wilder as his transfer dealings are muck.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2021, 03:56:29 PM »
Thanks Bakey, you were spot on before and another poster who has proven very reliable for over a decade on here also backed up the Wilder bit. The E&S also seem to be suggesting as much.

Joe Masi alluded to something the other day where Allardyce has said he will need to speak to his wife before making a decision to see how "a season in the championship will effect them" so it makes sense if he is worried about the health side of things.

I think Wilder will be a mistake, but oh well.

Can't wait to see Semi and Bartley overlapping down the flanks!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
In reality, it's going to be Allardyce or Wilder - most likely Allardyce. I don't see Dowling having a ton of names he will look at, I have zero faith in his judgement.

In terms of the perfect world, I've said for years on here that German managers are the way to go, that they are the future. Well, now they are the present.

The last 2 champions leagues have been won by Germans, possibly also this year's. Last year Germans were managing the league winner in 3 of the major 5 leagues. A German has won the championship this year, the same German who won it 2 years ago and Germans might yet hold half of the managerial posts of the club's occupying this years champions league places when the league finishes.

The only issue now is the new rules post us leaving the EU, I think we can still hire German managers, but I'm not sure they can bring their assistants over as easily which might be a deal breaker.

Domestically, I wouldn't rule out Enzo Maresca. He is on an upward curve, has won the premier league 2 with Man City's development squad. I'm a romantic at heart - I'd love him back.

I'm not as keen on Wilder. I respect him a lot and if I was Burnley and Dyche left them, I'd be looking at him, but there are a few things that make me nervous. 1, his transfer record is poor in recent seasons, some real lapses of judgement. 2, the rumours of his fall out at Sheff Utd suggested he wanted total control of transfers - something we should not give him. 3, as pointed out on the E & S Albion podcast this week, he doesn't really like using wingers. What do we have a lot of?

I'd also say no to Appleton, who i do like but who I think doesn't quite have enough about him.

I do like the look of Ismael at Barnsley, my only concern is that I haven't seen a lot of them this season and Warnock suggested they played long ball football in  a post match presser, which must be bad if he is saying it 😂. I'm hoping in reality it was just high pressure football and a weakness they exposed. I'd have him on my shortlist if Barnsley fall short.

I'd also look at Struber, their ex manager who is now at New York RB.

Barnsley are weird. It's super vertical, high pressing football. That makes it sometimes look unrefined, and a bit "kick and chase", but there's a deeper plan there.

I'll try and find the video of Barnsley Vs someone and it's like ping pong

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2021, 04:02:42 PM »
Regards Maresca it is a mention purely because he played here. If it wasn't there would be named Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd (among others) backroom staff in this thread.

Bakeys post makes for grim reading to me. Allardyce staying and Johnstone leaving for as high a price as possible should be the only definite aims of the DOF in the next few weeks.

Wilder is a massive no from me. Sheffield United were abject this season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2021, 04:04:50 PM »
Regards Maresca it is a mention purely because he played here. If it wasn't there would be named Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd (among others) backroom staff in this thread.

Bakeys post makes for grim reading to me. Allardyce staying and Johnstone leaving for as high a price as possible should be the only definite aims of the DOF in the next few weeks.

Wilder is a massive no from me. Sheffield United were abject this season.
whats your opinion on the other 4 years he was there?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »
Barnsley are weird. It's super vertical, high pressing football. That makes it sometimes look unrefined, and a bit "kick and chase", but there's a deeper plan there.

I'll try and find the video of Barnsley Vs someone and it's like ping pong

I can't find the clip, but here's a quote:

“I can’t tell all the secrets. But the first principle is intensity. Without intensity, we’ve no chance. That’s why we need intensity first. If you want to dominate – we don’t have Premier League quality – but we can dominate with our intensity. You have to show the players where we want to win the ball and what happens after. When you win the ball, you have a short time when the opponent is not organised. So you have to stay vertical, play direct with purpose. That’s a big difference from playing direct. Direct with purpose can be in behind, diagonal, quickly – use this short window to hurt the opponent. The other thing it does is keep the opponent away from our goal."

He/him

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »
Thanks bakeyaface...what's your name all about?! I remember your previous info being solid and also quite interesting.

When we were linked to Wilder last year (or was it before Bilic?!) we couldn't believe it as it seemed he was doing so well. I wouldn't let this year tarnish that but it certainly puts it into perspective and he swapped out Robbo for Burke and persisted with Burke, that's a worry for me. But most managers have weird decisions in them.

For what it's worth I voted Allardyce. If he stays that means he's had decent reassurances and that in turn reassures me. If he was to go I'd like us to look at somebody young (in management years). Paul Cook, the Swansea manager (forget his name!), maybe Ismael I'd even be tempted to take a look at Bolton's manager (forget his name too!) who now has back to back promotions but it could be too soon for him.

Anybody with previous links to the club get a no from me. Maresca may be an option further down the line but on management credentials alone, of which he has none at this stage.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2021, 04:15:33 PM »
whats your opinion on the other 4 years he was there?

Innovative formation involving overlapping centre backs. While falling very lucky with their loan goalkeeper in the promotion season and the first season in the Premier League imo.

Latterly dreadful recruitment and constantly at odds with the hierarchy.

Pardew did well with Newcastle and Palace, but you're hard pressed to look beyond his spell with us when considering employing him now...

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »
I remember you Bakeyface. Thanks for coming back with this info.

Disappointing to hear they are determined to sell Pereira, that means they will likely lowball us on him in terms of a fee. Also not too happy about Wilder as his transfer dealings are muck.
It doesn't say they are determined, it may be that it is just inevitable.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
It doesn't say they are determined, it may be that it is just inevitable.

This information combined with the other noises from journalists etc make me think it is inevitable. We are weakening our own hand i think.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2021, 04:27:19 PM »
I'd much rather stick with Allardyce than get Wilder in.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2021, 04:28:35 PM »
Don’t think he would be bad for the club at all....but most of his experience is behind the manager in a mainly DOF role...him plus some one like maresca/Veira/Henry may be an absolute dream team.
I just don’t think that’s where we are looking.
I saw a recent interview with Rangnick in which he said he was happy to work as a DOF or manager. He also spoke about his time as a student in Sussex playing for an amateur club.  He is the man behind the rise of RB Leipzig and the 'gegen pressing' attacking style. I think his knowledge in the building would be an enormous asset, but there is a question as to whether he could work with others. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »

It's not whoooollley that reason, although I did admit I was being a bit of romantic.

Maresca was favourite for the Celtic managers job just over a month ago, while he has just helped Man City win their first PL2 title - he is basically the highest profile youth development league coach.

He also puts us in pole position to take advantage of cities academy - they currently have 3 or 4 players who are prime for a championship loan move who could be very exciting- Delap, Harwood-Bellis, Doyle, Palmer and maybe Nmecha.

His past here does help though - would be a good story.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »
No thanks to Maresa. Another not experienced enough for what is a crucial, crucial season ahead. One for the future perhaps but let him pay his dues elsewhere.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »
It's not whoooollley that reason, although I did admit I was being a bit of romantic.

Maresca was favourite for the Celtic managers job just over a month ago, while he has just helped Man City win their first PL2 title - he is basically the highest profile youth development league coach.

He also puts us in pole position to take advantage of cities academy - they currently have 3 or 4 players who are prime for a championship loan move who could be very exciting- Delap, Harwood-Bellis, Doyle, Palmer and maybe Nmecha.

His past here does help though - would be a good story.

To be fair Baggies, I meant throughout the entire discussion/thread, just happened to follow your post. My point is, whoever guided whoever to 2nd in PL2 isn't being mentioned at all (although because I can't be bothered looking it up imagine if that was also an ex-Albion player, would totally discredit my position).  ;D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2021, 05:05:16 PM »
To be fair Baggies, I meant throughout the entire discussion/thread, just happened to follow your post. My point is, whoever guided whoever to 2nd in PL2 isn't being mentioned at all (although because I can't be bothered looking it up imagine if that was also an ex-Albion player, would totally discredit my position).  ;D

it's not an ex Albion player it's Andy Myers (Chelsea U23)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2021, 05:21:43 PM »
Myers is actually an honorary Baggie though, he did this back in 2002...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCFYp3F4Ck
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
So Myers then, must be worth a shout  ;)

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »
Thanks Bakey. The name Wilder is grim to hear and a shame but expected one regarding Pereira. But, Sam in charge and signing Okay would be fantastic, so fingers crossed.
Allllllll aboard

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »
Myers is actually an honorary Baggie though, he did this back in 2002...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCFYp3F4Ck

Great 'assist' for Igor, sign him up......
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
Wilder is a Sheffield Utd man through and through.  Can't see him putting his heart and soul into any other team.

Also remember the last encounter in the Championship.  Incredibly cyncial play.  They snatched a goal at about 30 minutes and proceeded to play for time for the rest of the match.  Fleck ran round chopping down everything in navy and white.  We weren't good but they still had to rely on Henderson for a couple of point-blank saves.

Woe is me!
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes