1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 448961 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2021, 10:52:45 PM »
2018 LMA manager of the year runner up, 2019 LMA manager on the year .....

Not Klopp, Guardiola, Bielsa

The views on Wilder baffle me slightly, 4 promotions been successful at every team he’s been at. Had he been linked 12 months ago fans would have been besides themselves. Granted this season they have been awful which is why he’s been linked to the Albion job & not premier league sides like last year. I saw Bielsea came out the other day & praised him for what a superb job he did at Sheffield United & that he’l miss going up against him, praise like that from someone as knowledgeable as Bielsa speaks volumes about Wilders ability as a manager.

My massive reservation is you need someone strong in the technical role as his undoing undoubtedly was his big money signings in the past 12 months, I’d rather Wilder in as manager with a new DOF than Dowling stay on.

It's the transfer side of Wilder that puts me off more than his style. I think he would grind out results for us but as you say need a DOF who knows what they are doing. If its true that Wilder refuses to work under a DOF like rumoured at Blades then count him out immediiately.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2021, 10:53:58 PM »
I would certainly prefer that to an Appleton or McInnes or the usual names that get bandied about.
I agree on that point - there's no former Albion player who's good enough for the situation we're in IMO.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #302 on: May 19, 2021, 10:54:36 PM »
Wilder nailed on I'd say. We do need a long term appointment (for us that's 3 years).......!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2021, 10:55:39 PM »
Wilder will be a good manager for somebody baggies_24, but his past record suggests he will have no use for the majority of the permanent signings we made only 8-9 months ago. No use for Robinson, Grant, Diangana, or probably Matty Phillips.

Why don’t we approach a manager who is capable of using the players we have, rather that us throwing them on the scrap pile and wasting yet more money?
Boing Boing

MONKWBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »
My biggest fear is knowing Dowling is a very big fan of John Terry. I shudder at the thought of his appointment.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2021, 10:57:53 PM »
Wilder's favourite formation is 5-3-2 which tells you enough. A very negative formation which means goals will always hard to come by. Explains why Sheff Utd only managed 18 goals under him. (we've scored almost twice that).
P.S. And when Burke is one of the 2 up front, you've got bigger problems.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:59:40 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #306 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »
Lampard is only name that would excite me, the rest seem like dinosaurs, journeymen, and a collection of dull championship bosses that play a timid old school style of football. What a mess.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #307 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »
Wilder will be a good manager for somebody baggies_24, but his past record suggests he will have no use for the majority of the permanent signings we made only 8-9 months ago. No use for Robinson, Grant, Diangana, or probably Matty Phillips.

Why don’t we approach a manager who is capable of using the players we have, rather that us throwing them on the scrap pile and wasting yet more money?

Fair point Baggies.

Who do you think would be a good fit for the club?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2021, 10:59:58 PM »

Because that would take insight, knowledge and planning and we have Lai, Dowling and Ken making the decisions so I'd say Wilder is the best unimaginative but potentially effective appointment they can come up with.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
If they didn’t win the play offs, would anyone try and tempt the Swansea manager? I know we’d have to pay up but has done very well there with hardly any money

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2021, 11:01:08 PM »
Wilder is a great manager but we have a squad loaded with wingers and he doesn’t play wingers...

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2021, 11:02:21 PM »
If they didn’t win the play offs, would anyone try and tempt the Swansea manager? I know we’d have to pay up but has done very well there with hardly any money

Has to be in the mix.

Along with the Barnsley manager.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
I've forgotten his name (but his avatar on here says 'I hate Facebook') but a few weeks back he said we could get Wilder. This guy never gets anything wrong in his years being on here and is probably the only genuine 'itk' we have, so it looks like Wilder. He would be near the top of my list and bar his last season at United, his CV is excellent.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2021, 11:06:05 PM »
Fair point Baggies.

Who do you think would be a good fit for the club?

Somebody from abroad, a German manager being my own personal choice for reasons I’ve bored on about for a few years.

Domestically, I’d be half tempted by Ismael if he could play better football and I also like their former manager Struber.
Boing Boing

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:28 PM »
Tony Mowbray anyone?

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #315 on: May 19, 2021, 11:08:42 PM »
I also liked Struber. He did a good job at Barnsley in difficult circumstances.

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #316 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »
Appleton with Hodgson ?

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #317 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:31 PM »
Who doesn’t want to see Kyle Bartley as an overlapping centre back?  ;D

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #318 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:41 PM »
Friend of mine has suggested Robins from Coventry. Overachieved with limited resources it seems. As we've been sniffing around Gamer, this could make sense. Don't know much about the bloke myself.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:06 PM »
Tony Mowbray anyone?
I would, but I suspect I'm in a small minority!

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2021, 11:10:33 PM »
It won't be anyone currently in a job
No way will we be paying compensation

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:17 PM »
Bring back Roy Hodgson . Unfinished business ! The thought of Chris Wilder taking over is not a pleasant one , how on earth did he think Burke was Premier League standard !

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:19 PM »
I would, but I suspect I'm in a small minority!

Would take him back in a heart beat personally

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »
I'd like Edin Terzic in, but Eintracht Frankfurt rumoured to be closing in on him. His interim post at Borussia Dortmund will shortly be ending. He knows the English game through being No. 2 to Bilic at West Ham.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2021, 11:11:39 PM »
Appleton with Hodgson ?
Can't people just let Hodgson have a happy and, hopefully, long retirement like he seems to want to - "I'll miss football" he said today.