1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 173646 times)

tex

• Junior Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2450 on: June 10, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
So if wilder was the man for the board and the owner said no on the basis of his exit from Sheffield how was this not understood months ago. It was not exactly a secret the wilder had a public disagreement with the owner of SU, so how did we interview a man the owner would not appoint. More to the point who did we interview? Wagner supposedly interviewed but got a better offer/ won’t come. Did We only interview managers out of work with no lasting compensation issues or are we interviewing everybody so the owner can feel good about having the power to veto anyone he feels like. It looks like the board and owner are totally disconnected and playing games.

Bleeding Gums Murphy

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2451 on: June 10, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »
Who’s left then? Karanka? McInnes? Neil?

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2452 on: June 10, 2021, 01:49:17 PM »
Here's a theory, Dowling was that angry that Lai overruled him on Wilder that he has offered his resignation and Lai has backed down and they will now go with the boards choice (Wilder) and Dowling will withdraw his resignation as a result  :-X :-X
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten
Twitter - @Hodge2802

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2453 on: June 10, 2021, 01:50:42 PM »
Okay go out for a bit and I  come back to chaos. Or I went out and forgot it was chaos to start with.

Now the idiot(s) who leaked the whole Wagner/Wilder thing have had the whole thing blow up in their faces. Seriously somebody's ego took a dent and they decided that was more important than being professional. They have to be thankful that I don't own the club because nobody gets out of this alive (professionally not physically you have to understand)

I think the Hodgson link was a total red herring we are on plan b because unless Wilder was going to get Lai's seal approval he was never a runner (you might have wanted to check with Lai before going too far that path).

I'm not sure where we go from here I think journalists are pulling names out of the air with any previous connection to us being enough to trigger the name being put forward as a possible.

As far as foreign based coaches are concerned the criteria are bit wooly but boil down to Head Coach experience at top teir club e.g. one of the top 5 leagues. Note Lage did not automatically qualify despite 2 seasons in charge at Benfica but got allowed on appeal. Wagner would qualify because of his time at Schalke and Huddersfield. Someone in Wagner's position when joined Huddersfield e.g. Dortmund's second team coach would not now qualify.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OhBilics

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2454 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:06 PM »
The circus is still going I see.

Nothing surprises me with this club anymore.

Here’s hoping for a left field appointment from abroad
Do you think there's any chance of that, given Dowling's reluctance to get foreign players in? I genuinely don't know, but it just seems unlikely.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2455 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:59 PM »
HRK hasn't found a new club yet...... we'll be fine.

Oh god x2   :D

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2456 on: June 10, 2021, 01:56:58 PM »
Marco Silva is without a club I believe and would surely qualify as regards to employment law
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2457 on: June 10, 2021, 01:57:40 PM »
So if wilder was the man for the board and the owner said no on the basis of his exit from Sheffield how was this not understood months ago. It was not exactly a secret the wilder had a public disagreement with the owner of SU, so how did we interview a man the owner would not appoint. More to the point who did we interview? Wagner supposedly interviewed but got a better offer/ won’t come. Did We only interview managers out of work with no lasting compensation issues or are we interviewing everybody so the owner can feel good about having the power to veto anyone he feels like. It looks like the board and owner are totally disconnected and playing games.

Add to which: 2019 we try to entice Wilder away from Sheffield United because he has fallen out with the owners.  2021 we reject Wilder as a free agent as he fell out with SUFC owners.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2458 on: June 10, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
Marco Silva is without a club I believe and would surely qualify as regards to employment law

Ahhh forgot about him, i assumed he was working somehwere in Europe.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2459 on: June 10, 2021, 01:58:28 PM »
Find it a bit strange how Young Boys Berne suddenly swooped with a contract for Wagner.
Wonder if he was using us as a bargaining chip.
As for the Swiss league, its no better than the Scottish. Ajax comfortably disposed of Young Boys over 2 legs in the Europa League. But I see that Wagner originally comes from the south west of Germany, so it would be a shortish drive from there to Berne.

Having Champions League football and titles in a decent enough league will always trump managing a Championship club.

Agree it seems strange timing though.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2460 on: June 10, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
Add to which: 2019 we try to entice Wilder away from Sheffield United because he has fallen out with the owners.  2021 we reject Wilder as a free agent as he fell out with SUFC owners.

;D  ;D

Very true

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2461 on: June 10, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
since the poll has been reset could you add laugh or cry options please Life is super hard at the moment (As it for many) I don't need these fools having a public willy measuring contest. I truly think I'm done

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2462 on: June 10, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »
How many pages will this get too before we have a new head coach ?

With some of the names linked we may as well keep it open. We'll be looking for someone else by Xmas anyway.  ;D

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2463 on: June 10, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »

He's as bad as McInnes, Appleton and Neil just that he's been bad at bigger clubs. Don't think he's managed/coached since he was sacked at Everton over 2 years ago, do we really want another ex Everton coach that's been out of the game for over 2 years?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2464 on: June 10, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Having Champions League football and titles in a decent enough league will always trump managing a Championship club.

Agree it seems strange timing though.

Switzerland or Sandwell?

Celtic just signed a guy who had managed in Australia and Japan. Left of field but better than out current lot of names.

baggies_24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2465 on: June 10, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
The other absolute balls up in all of this is it just keeps putting us back further & further with the summer rebuild. Say if it’s Appleton that takes the job he’l have been scouting players for Lincoln he then needs to get up to speed on where we need to strengthen the squad & the suitable players available for those positions, that’s not going to be an overnight thing.

All this has been caused by an absent owner 8000 miles away who’s shown no interest in the club for 2 years & has suddenly from nowhere decided to stick his ore in. This shambles is Lai’s own doing he’s not fit to tie his own laces let alone own a football club.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2466 on: June 10, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »
Have we even enquired about managers with a good track record abroad, and apparently available? Ralf Rangnick, Lucien Favre,  Edin Terzic, Dieter Hecking? All have a more than  respectable track record and certainly a better one than Wagner.

I think you need to review your expectations  :D

Rangnick is linked with some of the finest jobs in football - he's now going to be rocking up at Carters Green any time soon.

Our time for Rangnick sailed nearly 10 years ago.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2467 on: June 10, 2021, 02:14:39 PM »
Do you care how many people have been interviewed when you go for a job interview?
No you don't so why should a football coach care either
If it suits him and suits the club he gets the job and both are happy
We know nothing about anything on here so why be disappointed about it?

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2468 on: June 10, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
Who’s left then? Karanka? McInnes? Neil?

I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring. Baggies will be my assistant and Stan as DOF.

He/him

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2469 on: June 10, 2021, 02:16:08 PM »
Just laughable really, typical Albion.

Perhaps they are waiting to see if Big Ron picks up his answerphone message Luke left him.......
Remember...
What the doormouse said...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2470 on: June 10, 2021, 02:16:30 PM »
Do you care how many people have been interviewed when you go for a job interview?

No, but I'd like to see some trail of thought.

As MarkW rightly points out - the coaches currently linked with interviews are of a scattergun approach.

We are in effect going to work through a list of cheap, available managers until someone is willing to say yes.

And then we will sack them 6 months later.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2471 on: June 10, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
I think I'm going to throw my hat in the ring. Baggies will be my assistant and Stan as DOF.

**cough cough**  :o

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2472 on: June 10, 2021, 02:18:15 PM »
Steve Coppell's available, he's not had a coaching job since 2019!  :-*

MarkW

• Administrator