1 (0.3%)
Marco Silva
4 (1.2%)
Other (British based coach)
6 (1.9%)
Other (Foreign based coach)
19 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 322

Author Topic: New Manager Thread 2020 (Archive)  (Read 446688 times)

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

Re: New Manager Thread
« Reply #2275 on: June 10, 2021, 08:21:39 AM »
Whoever the new manager is , let him choose his coaching staff, do not foist Brunt and Morrison upon him.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2276 on: June 10, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »
I think it's ridiculous to suggest that under Wagner the ball will be sailing over Pereira's head. It might be in the Premier League but no more so than under at least a couple of the managers lots of posters seemed perfectly happy with.

The Pereira test is a an interesting hypothetical. Assuming keeping Pereira is a practical option but not selling Pereira means that the manager has a lot less to money to play with to reshape the squad elsewhere what do you do? More importantly is Wagner more or less likely to need the Pereira money to reshape the squad than some of the alternatives? My view is less.

Finally on the Pereira theme if you can't work his talents into your tactical set up you are rubbish as a coach end of debate.   

Fully agree with your last statement Stan, this site was pretty united in the "stick Periera in the middle and let him do his stuff" view. Guess what it started to work when tried, Amazing eh ?
Sometimes i do wonder why football professionals cannot see what fans can (viz- our playing it out from the back debacle).
If I were coming into WBAFC as a head coach i would want Periera retained at all costs, he would be the difference at chumps level and the players around him would perform better too. Better than spreading 25m over 3 or 4 average chumps players in the hope they stay fit and excel. (Periera has a good fitness record, so whilst a risk its a calculated one)
I'd also want to keep Bartley as the mainstay at the back (wouldnt have said that a year ago though)

the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2277 on: June 10, 2021, 09:28:57 AM »
Fully agree with your last statement Stan, this site was pretty united in the "stick Periera in the middle and let him do his stuff" view. Guess what it started to work when tried, Amazing eh ?
Sometimes i do wonder why football professionals cannot see what fans can (viz- our playing it out from the back debacle).
If I were coming into WBAFC as a head coach i would want Periera retained at all costs, he would be the difference at chumps level and the players around him would perform better too. Better than spreading 25m over 3 or 4 average chumps players in the hope they stay fit and excel. (Periera has a good fitness record, so whilst a risk its a calculated one)
I'd also want to keep Bartley as the mainstay at the back (wouldnt have said that a year ago though)

Generally agree the key is how practical keeping Pereira to build around. In terms of price there is a number (not going to get into that debate here) where the club pretty much has to sell and no manager will ever complain about it.

Equally there is the player to consider. If I were a player would I want to play in Premier League? Would I want to earn anything up to 4 times what I will next season? And if I was unreasonably denied that opportunity would I be unhappy. Well yes on all three counts.

If there is a reasonable offer on the table and a deeply unhappy player that is not only going to be difficult to work with but potentially disruptive to the whole group then you take the reasonable offer.

Generally I think Wagner's basic shape and style takes less adjustment than Wilder's and as such it becomes easier to keep Pereira. Bartley on the other hand I am entirely happy to retain in a low block but in a high line a lot less so. I think we might get away with it in the Championship but that is an absolute no no in the Premier League. But we have to get there before it is a problem.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2278 on: June 10, 2021, 09:40:57 AM »
Agree with everyone saying keep Pereira.
Sadly I think the decision has already been made. He will be sold for as much as they can get for him, and I bet all the money won't be given to the manager to rebuild.
We are already being linked with freebies, apart from the odd one or two they very rarely work out.
For every Gareth McAuley there are 50 Ivanovic's
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2279 on: June 10, 2021, 09:50:25 AM »
Who are we owed money from?
CP &? = circa £10 million
Plus parachute how much say £20 million
Poss sell SJ = £15 Million
Wage % halved
So we keep the majician
We could easily have £50 million to spend to add quality to our team
Whats the problem?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2280 on: June 10, 2021, 09:58:25 AM »
Wage % halved
So we keep the majician
Whats the problem?

other side of the equation, how do we owe money to ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ben_westbrom

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2281 on: June 10, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
Wage % halved
So we keep the majician
Whats the problem?

When Cardiff went down their broadcasting money went from 107m in the Premier League to 37m in the Champ.  Huge difference there.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2282 on: June 10, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »
In this Birmingham Mail article Allardyce is quoted as saying that he made it clear to Ken and Dowling at the outset that he wouldn't stay if we got relegated. Apart from highlighting the short-termist desperation of bringing him in, as it was apparent for some considerable time that we were going to go down the Board has had many months to research and plan for finding Allardyce's successor.

However, as is often the case with our managerial searches, there's absolutely no indication that this has happened until (at best) relegation was confirmed on May 7th. Here we are 5 weeks later and they still seem to be like non-swimmers thrashing around in deep water. Their level of incompetence is staggering and yet they're not being held accountable for it. Was it beyond the wit of man to have established that Lai wasn't happy with Wilder before it ever reached the stage of the Board deciding he was their preferred candidate? There was ample time available for our famed but seemingly mythical "due diligence" to have been done a while ago.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:07:48 AM by WorcsWBA »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2283 on: June 10, 2021, 10:13:59 AM »
In this Birmingham Mail article Allardyce is quoted as saying that he made it clear to Ken and Dowling at the outset that he wouldn't stay if we got relegated. Apart from highlighting the short-termist desperation of bringing him in, as it was apparent for some considerable time that we were going to go down the Board has had many months to research and plan for finding Allardyce's successor.

However, as is often the case with our managerial searches, there's absolutely no indication that this has happened until (at best) relegation was confirmed on May 7th. Here we are 5 weeks later and they still seem to be like non-swimmers thrashing around in deep water. Their level of incompetence is staggering and yet they're not being held accountable for it. Was it beyond the wit of man to have established that Lai wasn't happy with Wilder before it ever reached the stage of the Board deciding he was their preferred candidate? There was ample time available for our famed but seemingly mythical "due diligence" to have been done a while ago.

I remember reading something when Dan Ashworth was here. He said that the club always knew who was available, manager wise, and always had a pretty good idea who they wanted before the existing manger left/got sacked.
If only eh?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2284 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
Wage % halved
So we keep the majician
Whats the problem?

Those figures don't really add up.

The parachute payments will enable us to cover the existing wage bill which would have been reduced. I assume our wage bill will be in and around £30m-£40m which in a post covid world is expensive within the division.

I don't see us obtaining £15m for Sam Johnstone given the length of time remaining on his current contract.

We also have existing transfer fees for Karlan Grant and Grady Diangana which will require further contributions too.

We will have some monies to spend - but it certainly will not be in the amounts that you are suggesting.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2285 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »
Allardyce lied. We know that but if he lied about being open to staying why should we believe him now when he says he wasn't? If he wasn't open to staying what were the meetings with the board about? Whether it was possible to have leaving drinks under Covid restrictions?

There are plenty of sticks to beat the club with over this process but one that says Allardyce is a reliable witness in the matter is best left unused.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2286 on: June 10, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
Allardyce lied. We know that but if he lied about being open to staying why should we believe him now when he says he wasn't? If he wasn't open to staying what were the meetings with the board about? Whether it was possible to have leaving drinks under Covid restrictions?

There are plenty of sticks to beat the club with over this process but one that says Allardyce is a reliable witness in the matter is best left unused.
He was hardly likely to state publicly that he would leave if we got relegated whilst there was a chance (however small) of us staying up. It seems an obvious and reasonable question for the Board to ask him prior to his appointment whether he'd be prepared to stay on in the event of us being relegated. If he lied to them then and is also lying about it now, it would make him truly despicable.

As far as our current situation is concerned, the Board has had more than enough time to bring someone in, so they need to get it finalised. The transfer window is open now and there's much to be done.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2287 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
Masi saying it’s not going to be Wagner
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2288 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:41 AM »
Masi just now on twitter:
"Hearing from multiple sources David Wagner will not be the next Albion boss. Chasing more details now..."

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2289 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

Hearing from multiple sources David Wagner will not be the next Albion boss. Chasing more details now... #wba
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2290 on: June 10, 2021, 10:43:25 AM »
Masi saying it’s not going to be Wagner

It was between him and Alex Neil, if Wagner has turned us down...

Now that would deserve a meltdown

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2291 on: June 10, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
Masi just now on twitter:
"Hearing from multiple sources David Wagner will not be the next Albion boss. Chasing more details now..."
It's being suggested on Sky that Wagner wants to stay in Germany. I don't think that Ken, Dowling & Co have got the faintest idea what they're doing. We're being made to look a laughing stock.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:48:43 AM by WorcsWBA »

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2292 on: June 10, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »
What an utter mess this is. It’l be bloody Alex Neil you watch. Just go out & get Wilder ffs doubt he’d want to come now though.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2293 on: June 10, 2021, 10:49:42 AM »
Joseph Masi Tweeted

Hearing from multiple sources David Wagner will not be the next Albion boss. Chasing more details now... #wba

Has to be Alex Neil then surely?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

AidantheBaggies

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2294 on: June 10, 2021, 10:50:01 AM »
This is getting highly embarrassing now.......whoever we appoint now will know they were no where near 1st choice.
Lee Probert's Barmy Army!!!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2295 on: June 10, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
What an utter mess this is. It’l be bloody Alex Neil you watch. Just go out & get Wilder ffs doubt he’d want to come now though.

Would any manager?

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2296 on: June 10, 2021, 10:50:41 AM »
Ha Ha Alex Neil here we come, what a shower

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2297 on: June 10, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »
Praying we’ll get Appleton now as Alex Neil will be Irvine-esque

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2298 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:01 AM »
Wagner off to Young Boys in Switzerland instead

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2299 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:54 AM »
FFS. Whoever its going to be, hurry up Albion. The transfer window is open and a new manager needs to be in quick, I dont want us bringing in players he won't use, waste of money, and I dont want us waiting till the last minute to bring players in either. Dont we learn lessons?

Alex Neil or Mark Hughes and I will personally storm the Hawthorns - one or two others for that matter as well.

Not Wagner, a tiny bit disappointed if I'm honest, thought he may be decent but fine, over to you Albion, but make it good and make it quick.