Author Topic: Reasons to be optimistic  (Read 5249 times)

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

Reasons to be optimistic
« on: April 26, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
When we go down we do have reasons to be optimistic for the championship.  We have 2 proven championship strikers in Grant and Robinson, pereira and Diangana can tear up this division, Townsend and O’Shea are better players now than last season, if Johnstone goes we have a ready made replacement in Palmer. Bartley and Ajayi and Furlong won’t have the standard of premier league players to deal with. Centre midfield is the only area Livermore and Sawyers we may need to find replacements
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

Re: Reasons to be optimistic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 02:03:03 PM »
One reason to be slightly optimistic is that Wolves can not relegate us next Monday. If Brighton win and we lose we will basically be down on goal difference. However we will not have the R if we lose to them.

They would hold that over us for years....

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:19:56 PM »
We will win more games next season and will be back in the ground.
We might see a couple of our youngsters given a chance
We can celebrate goals without waiting for Some VAR numpty to draw (or not) his lines
We won't have to watch MoTD
We won't have to listen to uninterested, ill-informed pundits discussing our club, whilst waxing lyrical about how great some other team, worth multi millions, is working "miracles"
We won't have to listen to the likes of Klopp and Tuchel bleating about their poor millionaires being unfairly treated
We won't have to be grateful for feeding off the richman's scraps.

Many reasons to be optimistic, the only downside is......

When we get promoted all of the above will be back on the table.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 02:36:32 PM »
When we go down we do have reasons to be optimistic for the championship.  We have 2 proven championship strikers in Grant and Robinson, pereira and Diangana can tear up this division, Townsend and O’Shea are better players now than last season, if Johnstone goes we have a ready made replacement in Palmer. Bartley and Ajayi and Furlong won’t have the standard of premier league players to deal with. Centre midfield is the only area Livermore and Sawyers we may need to find replacements

I cant see Pereira staying in the Championship. If BS is still manager, will Diangana want to stay?
We're going to loose Okay, Maitland Niles, Gallagher, so there will need to be funds to replace the midfield.
Get rid of the likes of Gibbs, Ivanovic, Austin, Phillips and any of the big hitters that are almost at the end of their contracts.
We should have money available from parachute payments and sales to have more than enough to have a go next season
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggieboy79

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »
If we think about where we were as a club in the year 2000, and where we are now, we are streets ahead in terms of the general size of the club.  That gives me plenty of optimism for the future.  In terms of our overall History, fanbase, major trophies won, Average league finishes and seasons spent in the top flight, I don't think we are the 'Little West Brom' that fans of certain other clubs think we are.  Plus we will get to see more wins than losses next Season (Hopefully) and we can be genuine Title contenders for the Championship if we do it right.  Boing Boing!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »
As already mentioned we have the core of the team with money from players leaving plus the parachute payments to add players to the squad and maybe a youngster or two to break through we have more than enough to be up there next season.
The hard part is stabilising in the top flight once promoted although strangely the Championship is a more entertaining league.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 04:18:08 PM »
The main reason for optimism is the lack of money in the championship means our parachute payments give us a huge advantage.

We should be very easily top 6 next season.
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 04:20:26 PM »
One reason to be slightly optimistic is that Wolves can not relegate us next Monday. If Brighton win and we lose we will basically be down on goal difference. However we will not have the R if we lose to them.

They would hold that over us for years....
We ain't about to lose to those *****
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:21:11 PM by LiamTheBaggie »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »
Quick point. It doesn't matter one iota how much we have to play with in the transfer market next season if we don't spend it wisely. Have another summer window like the last one and we'll be carrying a financial burden for years to come. I know it goes without saying but I thought I'd go on record as saying it anyway  ;D .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 05:46:22 PM »
The financial side should help us however unless we are going to keep most of the loan players (unlikely) with those leaving,Gibbs , Ivanovich definitely, Perriera probably we are going to be in for a large turnover in the summer which will very quickly eat into any advantage plus monies we owe on players like Grant and quite probably Diangana and all of a sudden it doesn’t look quite as straightforward as it should . Certainly Norwich and to a slightly less degree Bournemouth and Watford managed to keep the basis of their sides together for this season in the way we used to through the noughties .
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »
We have a significant advantage over every other club in the league aside from those relegated with us. Yes there will be squad churn but that will be the case with pretty much every other squad the best players will be playing in the Premier League either returning to their parent clubs or transferred out (largely to keep the clubs afloat) or in the case of 3 squads promoted.

Frankly looking through the squads of those that will be in the championship there are few that have much quality before they lose anyone and I wouldn't anticipate many being any stronger next season. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 09:36:29 PM »
I don't share the optimism.  Currently, most of the better players are loans.  Surely its inconceivable that Pereira will stay, surely he's so much better than the Championship?

There's a batch of players that are useless even at championship level namely Livermore, HRK, Peltier, Harper, Leko, Edwards.

I want to see a major clear out and players signed with potential.

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
I don't share the optimism.  Currently, most of the better players are loans.  Surely its inconceivable that Pereira will stay, surely he's so much better than the Championship?

There's a batch of players that are useless even at championship level namely Livermore, HRK, Peltier, Harper, Leko, Edwards.

HRK, Peltier, Edwards are all out of contract
Leko left us to join Blues last summer permanently

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 11:01:09 PM »

Seriously go look at some Championship squads and look beyond the best players in the Division many of whom like Pereira won't be playing in the division come the start of next season and as much as I don't particularly rate Livermore etc they aren't useless at that level.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 07:49:03 AM »
I expect to see decent offers come in for SJ and Pez.  I'd like to see Pez give us a year but footballers aren't sentimental and surely he will want to play PL football.

The money needs to be invested in midfield as OK and AMN have shown how important it to give that back four unit some protection.  If we do the defense is good enough for the Champ as they will get away will more of the inevitable clangers.   If we start the season with JL and RS as automatic picks for CM I will start to worry.

Our attacking options look strong at Champ level with Grady, Robinson and Grant.  Can Grant or Robinson play as CF? This will depend on the manager.  I think we will need one more unless Zohore comes back into the fold.  No doubt if he stays BS will want Diagne or a a CF like him.

If we strengthen in these areas then we should challenge next year.  And thats not blind optimism, more looking at the relegated trio this year and how Watford and Bournemouth are in the mix despite management changes.

BS is marmite but he has shown how an experienced manager can create a PL team within our budget by utilising the foreign/loan markets well. A number of the squad can straddles the division but the core/key roles ie CD, CM, CF need to be international standard players to have a good chance in the top division

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:00:58 AM by Oldbury24 »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 08:21:32 AM »
To be honest, I'm not very..........

As others have said we lack leadership & vision at the very top, seem to be lurching from one quick fix to the next.

I've no doubt we have the players to make a challenge, but whoever manages us next season, will find it difficult to sell a club philosophy, so the motivation will probably rest on improving player and coach reputations.

I'm not sure WBAFC would be towards the top of my list of places to work at the moment.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »
To be honest, I'm not very..........

As others have said we lack leadership & vision at the very top, seem to be lurching from one quick fix to the next.

I've no doubt we have the players to make a challenge, but whoever manages us next season, will find it difficult to sell a club philosophy, so the motivation will probably rest on improving player and coach reputations.

I'm not sure WBAFC would be towards the top of my list of places to work at the moment.

I know that Norwich are at a different place on the YOYO cycle but given the choice of their or our place you would pick there everytime, I think.
Norwich have a
Stable board, know their limitations and are still trying to "build" the club
Relatively stable squad
Manager who has been given support through tough times and good times
Fan base who are communicated with and largely "get it"

Whereas ....
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 10:02:07 AM »
I know that Norwich are at a different place on the YOYO cycle but given the choice of their or our place you would pick there everytime, I think.
Norwich have a
Stable board, know their limitations and are still trying to "build" the club
Relatively stable squad
Manager who has been given support through tough times and good times
Fan base who are communicated with and largely "get it"

Whereas ....
Ok, let's compare Norwich now to us in July last year.
We had a stable board who made clear their limitations
We had a stable squad (too stable, some might claim, seeing as we kept pretty much all of the promotion side)
We had a manager who was given support through tough times and bad. We stuck with Slav despite the wheels coming off late on and almost derailing completely
As a fan I was fully aware of our budgetary restrictions so I think that was communicated very clearly

What we did was react when things, on the pitch, didn't work out and reacted accordingly by bringing in an experienced manager to try and turn it around. It didn't work but how would we have felt if we'd stuck with Bilic and been relegated by March? Would we have applauded the board for their loyalty and stability? Would it have been ok because we are trying to build the club?

Do you think Norwich fans will be all smiles if Farke has them bottom by December? Do you think he'll survive? Let's see how they feel this time next year, if they are in the same position, or worse, than we are now.

It's easy to big up other clubs, who are on an upward trajectory, whilst criticising our own, but football is a funny and fickle mistress and changes very quickly.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
We had a stable squad (too stable, some might claim, seeing as we kept pretty much all of the promotion side)
We had a manager who was given support through tough times and bad. We stuck with Slav despite the wheels coming off late on and almost derailing completely
As a fan I was fully aware of our budgetary restrictions so I think that was communicated very clearly

What we did was react when things, on the pitch, didn't work out and reacted accordingly by bringing in an experienced manager to try and turn it around. It didn't work but how would we have felt if we'd stuck with Bilic and been relegated by March? Would we have applauded the board for their loyalty and stability? Would it have been ok because we are trying to build the club?

Do you think Norwich fans will be all smiles if Farke has them bottom by December? Do you think he'll survive? Let's see how they feel this time next year, if they are in the same position, or worse, than we are now.

It's easy to big up other clubs, who are on an upward trajectory, whilst criticising our own, but football is a funny and fickle mistress and changes very quickly.

Interesting to read another perspective, living near Norwich i can tell you that their fans are pretty sanguine about things generally, they like Farkes open communicative style (he is always on local TV) and it helps that they play attractive football and of course that they have stormed the league.
Will they call for Farkes head when the inevitable tough times come?, I doubt it, but only time will tell.

I earnestly hope we will be smiling and euphoric at our success next season, but ask me if I want to work for Farke, Delia & Stuart Webber or Lai, Dowling and who knows what manager.
Its a no contest, yes things change quickly but I stick my opinion that Norwich are better run and therefore more attractive than we are currently.

I take zero pleasure saying this, but trying to be objective thats how I see it.

Albion Family !!!

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »

I mean, Norwich were bottom in December last time they were in the Premier League, and he survived then. Not sure what the Norwich board would be expecting to be massively different this time around.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »
Interesting to read another perspective, living near Norwich i can tell you that their fans are pretty sanguine about things generally, they like Farkes open communicative style (he is always on local TV) and it helps that they play attractive football and of course that they have stormed the league.
Will they call for Farkes head when the inevitable tough times come?, I doubt it, but only time will tell.

I earnestly hope we will be smiling and euphoric at our success next season, but ask me if I want to work for Farke, Delia & Stuart Webber or Lai, Dowling and who knows what manager.
Its a no contest, yes things change quickly but I stick my opinion that Norwich are better run and therefore more attractive than we are currently.

I take zero pleasure saying this, but trying to be objective thats how I see it.
A lot of our fans are also sanguine though mate. Relegation is no shock, due to our financial inferiority, it was expected and that financial frugality will see us in good stead come August.
Us and Norwich practically twins! No sugar daddy, so we have to be well run, don't overspend and risk the long term future of the club, and accepting that relegation is not the worst thing in the world. If anything they have adapted to our model.

In response to the title of the thread, there are many reasons to be optimistic.

If nothing else, say it out loud "NO MORE VAR"  :D

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
I mean, Norwich were bottom in December last time they were in the Premier League, and he survived then. Not sure what the Norwich board would be expecting to be massively different this time around.
Fair play to them, but that would be akin to us sticking with Bilic and finishing with 21 points, How many would really have been happy with that outcome? Would OUR board have been lauded in the same way?

I'd be very surprised If Farke gets the same leeway next season, should they be just as bad, if he does then I think the loyalty will be questioned.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 11:25:43 AM »
A lot of our fans are also sanguine though mate. Relegation is no shock, due to our financial inferiority, it was expected and that financial frugality will see us in good stead come August.
Us and Norwich practically twins! No sugar daddy, so we have to be well run, don't overspend and risk the long term future of the club, and accepting that relegation is not the worst thing in the world. If anything they have adapted to our model.

In response to the title of the thread, there are many reasons to be optimistic.

If nothing else, say it out loud "NO MORE VAR"  :D

I'm one of the few who actually relishes the chumps compared to the EPL, I accept that the financial landscape requires us to flirt with the EPL but as a spectacle and entertainment I feel that we the fans get a better deal in the chumps.
A true(r) competition
A leveller playing field
Less fixture disruption
Last time great TV coverage
Less totally biased media coverage
NO VAR !!!  ;D ;D
Albion Family !!!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 12:21:24 PM »

Disagree, the board became unstable when Mark Jenkins left in August. I think I would have been more optimistic if he were still here.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
Disagree, the board became unstable when Mark Jenkins left in August. I think I would have been more optimistic if he were still here.

I think he could see where we were going so decided to go. Not sure they became unstable, just inactive with one one objective - keep the club in the Division on virtually zero funds.

That's the difference with our board and the board at Norwich - they seem happy to take the money and yoyo and it is part of their plan. We don't have a plan.

When I first saw the title of the thread I thought to myself that this will be a very short thread. Not too much optimism from me sadly; relegation is almost done, the inevitable fire sale will begin and hopefully we may have a team that can compete next year. Hopefully we will rid ourselves of these turgid owners and actually be owned by someone who has ambition, but I really do fear where we are going if he/they does not sell.
MAGA!