Author Topic: Reasons to be optimistic  (Read 1785 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Reasons to be optimistic
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 12:41:53 PM »
Disagree, the board became unstable when Mark Jenkins left in August. I think I would have been more optimistic if he were still here.
How did that make us unstable though? Nothing really changed, the budget was already set and later surpassed.
The only instability that I can see is when we were put up for sale, which , I believe, came much later.

SirTonyM

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Every time we have gone down since our first promotion under Megson we have managed to come back within a couple of years. I think this makes us feel like promotion is almost inevitable. You start to worry that next time we go down we may not come back. The key as always will be recruitment.

baggiebof

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 01:16:36 PM »
Like others have said, our financial position compared to others in the league gives the biggest cause of optimism because of parachute payments, sellable assets that could be cashed in to fund a rebuild and a few higher earners coming to the end of their contracts.

In terms of on the pitch, we have a few players who have been very good in the Championship in Diangana and Grant with many others who have looked good too. There are weaknesses, namely in the centre of midfield and at centre forward, whilst the squad needs more depth at full back. Bear in mind that we will be a popular loan destination for the better players on the market and the picture looks quite positive.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2021, 01:45:14 PM »
Hopefully we will rid ourselves of these turgid owners and actually be owned by someone who has ambition, but I really do fear where we are going if he/they does not sell.

The only chance Lai has of recouping his money is to run the club well as a self financing business....so as you were.

He needs us to get promoted and stick around for a second season before anyone will get near the value he wants.

He wont/can't inject money into the club to try for a quick win and can't take any money out of the club so we really are locked together.

TBH I'd rather have that level of stability than him sell to some all promising twonk who puts the club's finances at risk.   Aint no sugar Daddy going to wander down the High Street and think West Brom is the place to pour millions 😁
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 01:47:39 PM by Oldbury24 »

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
How did that make us unstable though? Nothing really changed, the budget was already set and later surpassed.
The only instability that I can see is when we were put up for sale, which , I believe, came much later.

It doesn't work like that though, all "businesses" have to make mid course corrections, after Jenkins left, all of the experience to do that well, left with him.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 01:55:28 PM »
The only chance Lai has of recouping his money is to run the club well as a self financing business....so as you were.

He needs us to get promoted and stick around for a second season before anyone will get near the value he wants.

He wont/can't inject money into the club to try for a quick win and can't take any money out of the club so we really are locked together.

TBH I'd rather have that level of stability than him sell to some all promising twonk who puts the club's finances at risk.   Aint no sugar Daddy going to wander down the High Street and think West Brom is the place to pour millions 😁

And for all of the reasons you give above, I am not optimistic at all unfortunately.
There's a dragon ripping you to shreds
It wants to be your friend
It's just trying to impress you
So won't you let it be
Let it be!

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »
Hope I am wrong, but I am not optimistic at all. I understand the points regarding some of the squad members, and the possibility of some extra cash investment, but my club is damaged and at risk, and most importantly it is broken from the top.

Ownership is more than disinterested, it wants rid of what it sees now as an encumbrance a failure. But it still wants top dollar which it is not going to get. There is a possibility a sale will be made that will not be in the long term interest of the club.

Day to day running is at the whim of a senior exec who knows nothing about football and has no interest in WBA as a football club.

We have a Director of Football who seemingly has very limited knowledge and information about the wider aspects of player ability, availability and acquisition. He also often appears reluctant to work in tandem to support anybody else, preferring to have them subordinate to his decisions/selections. What we actually need is an old fashioned manager who makes the decisions about players, prices and wages but this would be a backward step.

We have a  present Head Coach/Manager who may or may not be interested in staying, or may or may not be wanted next season. In any case we will lose many of the players responsible for our better performances, because they were never our players.  We may also lose probably our brightest and best contracted player. Others who have done well for us  previously in the Championship may well be frozen out as they have largely been this season, depending on who the Head Coach is.

I see no one presently at the club who I feel might be trusted to enhance our prospects for future seasons, neither on the playing side nor the commercial side. As I said as of this moment I feel we are doomed, we are all doomed Captain Mainwaring. Doomed I said doomed.  :'(

However a good win over the Dingles will no doubt improve my mood. ;D

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »
It doesn't work like that though, all "businesses" have to make mid course corrections, after Jenkins left, all of the experience to do that well, left with him.
I would argue that the January window was far better than the summer one, so not everything went with him.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
I'm one of the few who actually relishes the chumps compared to the EPL, I accept that the financial landscape requires us to flirt with the EPL but as a spectacle and entertainment I feel that we the fans get a better deal in the chumps.
A true(r) competition
A leveller playing field
Less fixture disruption
Last time great TV coverage
Less totally biased media coverage
NO VAR !!!  ;D ;D
I don’t think it’s few...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

wodenson46

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 09:00:37 PM »
I'm one of those not so few, Enjoy champs games

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
I'm one of the few who actually relishes the chumps compared to the EPL, I accept that the financial landscape requires us to flirt with the EPL but as a spectacle and entertainment I feel that we the fans get a better deal in the chumps.
A true(r) competition
A leveller playing field
Less fixture disruption
Last time great TV coverage
Less totally biased media coverage
NO VAR !!!  ;D ;D

Less fixture disruption? We had loads of fixtures moved for TV with an irritating amount of early kick offs and evening games (even pre lockdown). Throw in some over the top ticket pricing too.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2021, 11:55:07 AM »
I'm looking forward to August.

It's almost always an exciting season for us and I'd take the agony of yo-yoing for the money.

We had a (mostly) good eight season run in the top flight, we will have one again at some point.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2021, 12:05:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to August.

It's almost always an exciting season for us and I'd take the agony of yo-yoing for the money.

We had a (mostly) good eight season run in the top flight, we will have one again at some point.
Not very memorable though was it?
I put together some photo collages of my best seasons, to hang in my garage (Bar), and the only Prem one was the great escape. The others were all promotion years +1978

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 12:47:00 PM »
I put together some photo collages of my best seasons, to hang in my garage (Bar), and the only Prem one was the great escape. The others were all promotion years +1978

Id argue the Clarke Lukaku 8th finish season was a great one i also enjoyed Roy's full season

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »

Well look forward to us finishing top 21-22.

Hope I don't eat my words there.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 01:59:00 PM »
Id argue the Clarke Lukaku 8th finish season was a great one i also enjoyed Roy's full season
The wall's not that big, I had to prioritise!  :D
Seriously though, I struggle to get nostalgic about those seasons. Yes, there were highlights but, in the main, it doesn't feel like a memorable achievement.
Imagine if I showed any Wolves mates my homage to finishing 8th? They'd ruin me! I tend to just point them in the direction of the 1-5 picture though ;)