Author Topic: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (on loan from Arsenal)  (Read 25622 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Ainsley Maitland-Niles joins on loan
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2021, 09:15:21 PM »
BBC have him down as Man of the Match.
 https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56635783
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2021, 09:19:03 PM »
 AMN - fantastic energy and dribbling ability with the ball.  Ever since Mulumbu left we've been distinctly short of pace in central midfield.

It was the crucial factor that cost us relegation in 2008/09 under Mowbray, him pairing together Valero and Greening in CM!

Also cost us relegation last time, Livermore and Krychiowiak were too slow and ponderous in that area of field.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2021, 12:34:51 AM »
Brilliant performance. Great energy, tenacious and ran the show.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2021, 01:21:22 AM »
He looks like a player transformed. He is playing in a slightly deeper role and generally receiving the ball in deeper positions with a little bit more time and space (even against a high press) and the game is a little bit more in front of him.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2021, 08:08:41 AM »
Brilliant performance. Great energy, tenacious and ran the show.

Have to agree with this - two very good performances.

The deeper role suits him as opposed to playing further up the pitch.

I have been critical of him but he is going the right way of proving me wrong.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2021, 08:11:47 AM »
....and even with the deeper role, if that's what it is, he has the fitness and athleticism to make those forward runs. Looks as though he can run all day.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »
Superb performance. Energy, skill. strength and most important a soccer brain. Well played AMN.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2021, 11:03:54 PM »
Arsenal willing to sell for £20m according to Sun. Good luck with that or anything near it.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2021, 02:37:59 AM »
Arsenal willing to sell for £20m according to Sun. Good luck with that or anything near it.

They would do well to get half that. Did very well against Southampton last week but I'd say that's been his only stand out performance. For me he is over rated because he is English young and a product of Arsenal's academy.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
There's not many club valuations of players that do look good value let's face it.

I think he's been a tad under-rated for us. Yes his stand out performance was Southampton. He picked up an injury at the end of that game, was a doubt for the Leicester match, no doubt wasn't in full training in the lead up.....then was part of our central two that were outnumbered by a high quality Leicester midfield.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »
Hes worth about 25% of arsenal valuation if I was to be generous
O Albion we love you

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

The Athletic today
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2021, 07:31:41 AM »
The Athletic Daily
10 May            2021
The day before West Bromwich Albion's most celebrated victory of a grim season, the players were summoned to the canteen at their Walsall training ground.

They had not been called by the manager, coach or a senior player — but by a 23-year-old midfielder on loan from Arsenal. Ainsley Maitland-Niles had things to get off his chest.

Other players had their say but it was Maitland-Niles, having called club captain Jake Livermore the previous day to ask him to convene a meeting, who did most of the talking. The meeting lasted around 15 minutes and the message from Maitland-Niles was blunt. He told his Albion team-mates it was time to liven up.

Three weeks earlier, they had lost 1-0 at Crystal Palace in a game that was seen as their final chance to keep alive their survival hopes.

Sam Allardyce's side had been written off and Maitland-Niles felt that, during the extended international break that followed, some of his team-mates had eased off, believing their season was over.

He told them he had not joined the club to go down without a fight. The stark message from a player so young, and normally quiet, left his colleagues taken aback. But in a positive way. The next day, they demolished Chelsea 5-2 and followed it with a 3-0 victory against Southampton to briefly restore slim hopes of an unlikely escape.

But their late rally had not come soon enough and last night, Maitland-Niles was a frustrated onlooker. He was not permitted to play as Arsenal, his parent club, confirmed West Brom's immediate return to the Championship with a 3-1 win.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: The Athletic today
« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
Interesting and good on AMN for doing it, would have been much easier to shrug his shoulders and think 'I'm just on loan it doesn't really matter'.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: The Athletic today
« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2021, 08:41:16 AM »
Happy to read that. Well played AMN. I think he was great and I seemed happier with his performances than others on here. I liked his energy but also his skill. Shame we won’t have him back. What an awful season.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2021, 08:53:33 AM »
Isn't it sad though that it takes a loanee to take the initiative, and it did not come from our high wage earners from within.

Well done AMN - the quicker this 'gravy train' is dealt with, the better.
MAGA!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:59 AM »
Fair play to AMN for that. Many things wrong within the club and it takes outsiders to come in and call it out like Sam and AMN.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #191 on: May 10, 2021, 09:03:42 AM »
Isn't it sad though that it takes a loanee to take the initiative, and it did not come from our high wage earners from within.

Well done AMN - the quicker this 'gravy train' is dealt with, the better.

I was thinking exactly the same. If it takes a 23 year old loan player to buck things up in the dressing room you have to question the professionalism of that dressing room. If the article bears relevance to reality then well in lad.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (on loan from Arsenal)
« Reply #192 on: May 10, 2021, 02:18:26 PM »
Well done son, proper professional attitude. Such a pity the management team couldn't be arsed

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

Re: Ainsley Maitland-Niles (on loan from Arsenal)
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »
Well done son, proper professional attitude. Such a pity the management team couldn't be arsed

In my view Sam does.
But these are footballers.....or think they are. They may have the skills but can they be bothered when things don't drop on their lap?
Makes you wonder why some of the high priced players we have were hardly used?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP