Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 81797 times)

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

Re: Mbaye Diagne
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »
Dan he said 15 in a full Premier League season... 😬

Very true. Speed reading with dyslexia. Takes eyes off ball, trips over own feet, miss kicks in front of open goal, chance goes begging. Story of my life..........  ;D  .

I have to say 15 goals in 38 games at a higher standard is a fair leap from 20 in 46 at a lower one though. Especially when he's got what in how many with some very presentable chances having gone by the wayside thus far.

For the record I wouldn't guesstimate personally. Too many variables such as injuries, yet to be sold/bought teammates, managerial appointments, opposition systems etc.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #501 on: May 04, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »
Devils advocate then...

Lets say you could buy him for £8 million next season on £40k p/w would anyone here have him? Considering he'd be cheaper than Gibbs, Austin, HRK etc seems like a good deal.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #502 on: May 04, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »
Devils advocate then...

Lets say you could buy him for £8 million next season on £40k p/w would anyone here have him? Considering he'd be cheaper than Gibbs, Austin, HRK etc seems like a good deal.

Yes in a heartbeat.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2021, 04:11:43 PM »
Devils advocate then...

Definitely not - we will not be spending 8 million on anybody and nor should we spend it on someone approaching the end of their career.

40k per week is an additional £2m outlay.   

In post Covid terms, its unjustifiable given the additional work required on the squad.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #504 on: May 04, 2021, 04:23:10 PM »
Definitely not - we will not be spending 8 million on anybody and nor should we spend it on someone approaching the end of their career. 40k per week is an additional £2m outlay.   In post Covid terms, its unjustifiable given the additional work required on the squad.

I think we can get him a bit cheaper than that but regardless we are trying to build a team to get back into the premiership with hundreds of millions of pounds at stake, and have the large parachute payment. Why wouldn't we spend £8m on him? We are not Walsall or Shrewsbury town. £8m isn't even that much these days.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
I think we can get him a bit cheaper than that but regardless we are trying to build a team to get back into the premiership with hundreds of millions of pounds at stake, and have the large parachute payment. Why wouldn't we spend £8m on him? We are not Walsall or Shrewsbury town. £8m isn't even that much these days.

The club is naturally risk adverse and in a post Covid world they will not be spending £8m on a centre forward approaching 30 with next to little resale value, nor paying the wages cited in the original post. Should we fail to get promoted first time then we’re left with an expensive anchor round our necks in a division which is a sinking ship financially.

That also does not take into account the additional monies we will need to spend elsewhere to improve the squad such as central midfield, centre half and full back.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #506 on: May 04, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
I can't see us spending that kind of money on him - would only make sense if we got back at the first opportunity and there's no guarantee of that.  I can see us relying on Grant and Robinson next season - which should be enough but not really the lone forward types - would require us to get a lot of bodies into the box.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #507 on: May 04, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
The club is naturally risk adverse and in a post Covid world they will not be spending £8m on a centre forward approaching 30 with next to little resale value, nor paying the wages cited in the original post. Should we fail to get promoted first time then we’re left with an expensive anchor round our necks in a division which is a sinking ship financially. That also does not take into account the additional monies we will need to spend elsewhere to improve the squad such as central midfield, centre half and full back.

£8m isn't much, and Diagne has already showed that he can score goals in the premiership, let alone the championship, I wouldn't describe that as an anchor. Allardyce had already made it clear that he will only stay if the board back him, if they try to do it on the cheap he's off. I don't blame him one bit either.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #508 on: May 04, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »
The anchor isn't just the fee. The earlier poster also mentioned 40kpw in wages. Presumably in the Championship. So it's £8,000,000 (spread over however long) + £2,008,000 in wages (per season) for one player approaching 30 with an increased risk of injury, god knows who supplying him, whomever the manager may be and the possibility of missing out on promotion.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #509 on: May 04, 2021, 06:58:20 PM »
£8m isn't much, and Diagne has already showed that he can score goals in the premiership, let alone the championship, I wouldn't describe that as an anchor. Allardyce had already made it clear that he will only stay if the board back him, if they try to do it on the cheap he's off. I don't blame him one bit either.

There is better value out there to find a championship goal scorer.

The fee and the wages would be better spent elsewhere.

I’m hoping post covid that the days of big fees and wages are a thing of the past for clubs like us. I think there will be a massive pool of players available to us from the prem that clubs will try to offload and I think players will have to accept that big wages aren’t going to be on offer anymore.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »
Would take him without a moments hesitation
Allllllll aboard

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2021, 09:39:05 PM »
Did we not have an agreement that if we wanted to buy it was £8m in the Prem and £4.5m in the championship. I might be totally wrong  so apologies if I am

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
I hope we don’t sign him. He’s approaching 30 and can’t see him improving. He’d be another without any resale value. If we want to go down that route then we may as well get Gayle back on a free.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2021, 10:22:38 PM »
He's not as clinical at converting chances as Gayle, but he poses more danger than Grant or Zohore, because he has good positional sense.  Whether we should offer him a new deal, is a bit like what we should do with Allardyce. Only if we can't get anyone better.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2021, 10:53:37 PM »
Did we not have an agreement that if we wanted to buy it was £8m in the Prem and £4.5m in the championship. I might be totally wrong  so apologies if I am

Recent responses have been in answer to a hypothetical scenario of an £8,000,000 transfer fee in conjunction with £40,000 pw wages. No need to apologise, I don't always read each post on every thread either. In truth I'm reading less of everything on a more frequent basis for a variety of reasons.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:57 PM »
Devils advocate then...

No thanks. We can get better, for less.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #516 on: May 05, 2021, 07:34:01 AM »
Mbaye Diagne ain’t worth £8k never mind £8m.
I would give him ten-bob fer his buz fare to Elmdon Airport for his flight back ‘ome.
Nah, waste of space for me.
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #517 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:30 AM »
Yeah I though we had a fee agreed around 4 million for him if we were in the championship. Unsure as to who we think we could get better for that price, even if you look at the 8 million figure.

I feel he's been unlucky not to have another 2 or 3 goals this season, I can't see this guy not getting 15 goals or more in the championship next year...

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #518 on: May 05, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
I'm less impressed the more I see of him I would certainly worry about his ability to be combative against the typical Chumps CH, but then again he will pull defences around and can hold the ball up.
I suspect we will not risk it to be honest, we dont do risk.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #519 on: May 05, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »
If we were going to throw £8m at a striker this summer I'd be heading down to Peterborough to offer it up for Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #520 on: May 05, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
If we were going to throw £8m at a striker this summer I'd be heading down to Peterborough to offer it up for Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Karlan Grant would get as many goals as him in League one. You would rather have him than Diagne who can score goals in the top leagues in European football?

There are leagues and there are big differences between them.

Anyway we have no interest in Clarke-Harris so any rumour is a non starter.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #521 on: May 05, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »

If he was 2-3 years younger I would agree. A lot of his goals are quite nice, neat finishes. Its the strikers in league one who rack up numbers through scrappy, mishits, scrambles or brute force that you need to avoid because those type of opportunities get fewer and fewer as you go up the divisions.

I think at 27 this summer though, £8m is way too much. 

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #522 on: May 05, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
I had no idea he was 27, in that case I'd not be offering them £8m.

Karlan Grant would get as many goals as him in League one. You would rather have him than Diagne who can score goals in the top leagues in European football?

There are leagues and there are big differences between them.

Anyway we have no interest in Clarke-Harris so any rumour is a non starter.

I like Diagne, I just wouldn't spend that cash on him. If he'd come on loan again we should snap their hand off.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
I had no idea he was 27, in that case I'd not be offering them £8m.

I like Diagne, I just wouldn't spend that cash on him. If he'd come on loan again we should snap their hand off.

Point taken.

As much as we'll be well off compared to most in the Championship we still have to spend sensibly.

Personally I'd pay the 8 million for Diagne if he agreed to wages no North of 25k per week.

If we cant do that sort of deal then move on.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #524 on: May 05, 2021, 03:39:46 PM »

Not that was accurate, as reported, which makes the decision a no brainer. If we sign Diagne it is not just to help get us promoted, but to lead the line in the premiership when we are back. It would be stupid not to try to get the deal done.