Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass  (Read 56698 times)

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Robert Snodgrass
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2021, 01:11:53 PM »
I like Snodgrass but when he gets injured, he seems to be out for ages.  I might be wrong.
the other thing is just a feeling/vibe. He really got involved when he was at Villa,on and off the pitch so much I thought they'd sign him. I can't see him doing that here. we need committed players in other areas
Why do you think that...will he be any worse in commitment in other areas than the players we have  ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2021, 01:16:10 PM »
Is Snodgrass still involved with Scotland ?

He retired last year mate.

Do I not like Wolves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:56 PM »
We are being linked with a lot of players, most of seem to have PL experience which has to be good as that it is what our current squad lacks. We need some gnarled, gritty PL players to stand any chance of escaping this.
"It is the tradition of the club and the fans in which we trust"

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2021, 01:37:54 PM »
We are being linked with a lot of players, most of seem to have PL experience which has to be good as that it is what our current squad lacks. We need some gnarled, gritty PL players to stand any chance of escaping this.

Yep. I think people want more toe-dippers but that won't fix our problem.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 01:43:32 PM »
I've always thought he was a decent player, but is "in your face" enough for what we need now?  Also one of his main strengths is free kicks, where we already have Perreira.

He offers more than being "in your face".
Also, surely it would be better to have as many options for a decent freekick as possible, rather than just Pereira.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2021, 01:54:16 PM »
Not sure its credible for those suggesting Grosicki as the alternative given we've had two managers that have appeared to not favour him.

He's made 16 appearances for his 4 assists in this division. Snodgrass has made 163 appearances contributing 26 goals and 23 assists. They're both the same ago too.

If that's the comparison then it is goodbye Kamil.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:55:53 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »
As I've previously said, I think Snodgrass is a quality player, but then I also think Grosicki is a quality player. To be honest I haven't seen enough of either to say who would be the more consistent. Grosicki is a bit younger than Snodgrass, and Grosicki is one of our few players with genuine pace. (A major problem of ours is getting up the pitch quickly).  The otehr question is that in SA's system, either will be expected to spend a fair amount of time around our own penalty box.  So are either going to be able to constantly get up and down the pitch? 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
I would think part of Sam’s thinking is to get a quality set piece taker, which I’d say he is certainly better than anything we have.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2021, 02:15:28 PM »
Standard Albion recruitment bring in ageing players on the cheap.  In the past he's shown lots of fight but that does not mean he's going to give the same commitment to us when the body is beginning to feel older and it's just a meal ticket.

Snodgrass is very  left footed and a good crosser of a ball so is Pereira;  is Snodgrass intended to replace him?  Snodgrass will get feisty but if he's slow into the tackle, he'll be giving away fouls in dangerous areas.  We have seen this a couple of seasons back

Play Edwards, he has shown plenty of commitment.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
We could have done with him a few seasons ago IMO. That said he would still walk into our team. Has the experience and grit that we are currently lacking.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2021, 02:34:36 PM »
We have 1 domestic loan and unlimited foreign loans.

Big Sams plans for bringing in 3 foreign players were scuppered by Brexit I believe he said  8)
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »
I'm more concerned with strengthening the central spine of the team. I feel this is more important than a winger! This was the point I was making earlier, nothing against Snodgrass personally!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2021, 06:35:47 PM »
I've always liked Snodgrass and saw him a lot in his Leeds days. The player he is now is a left-footed player who operates from the right and whilst he can beat a man is more likely to come inside and create whilst possessing good set-piece delivery and providing a threat from free kicks. Sound like anybody we know? I fear how Pereira gets in the side with Snodgrass being brought in and for that reason, I'm not really in favour of the move.

I understand that signings will be short term or on loan, fine, but let's not stunt the development of the core squad going forwards for someone who has a better temperament and more experience.

Brombo97

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2021, 06:51:51 PM »
Robert Snodgrass, an aging so-so player, sure to add the pace and stamina we need! Dowling and Allardyce, jeez, what's the opposite of the Dream Ticket?

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
For anyone complaining about players ages. 2 words Gareth Mcauley  ;D

alwaysbilly

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
Keith Andrews was similar - a good signing but not many wanted him.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2021, 08:06:33 PM »
John Percy Tweeted

Sam Allardyce expects to make Robert Snodgrass his first signing as West Brom manager. @JPercyTelegraph
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
John Percy Tweeted

Sam Allardyce expects to make Robert Snodgrass his first signing as West Brom manager. @JPercyTelegraph

Percy also says trying to find clubs for Austin and Grosiki. Krov will be let go too.

Any transfer fee of over 2m will be unlikely so looking at PL players coming to end of contracts or on loan.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2021, 08:17:25 PM »
2 more words Kevin Phillips

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2021, 08:31:37 PM »
Percy also says trying to find clubs for Austin and Grosiki. Krov will be let go too.

Any transfer fee of over 2m will be unlikely so looking at PL players coming to end of contracts or on loan.

Can only take one more PL player on loan!

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
I've always liked Snodgrass and saw him a lot in his Leeds days. The player he is now is a left-footed player who operates from the right and whilst he can beat a man is more likely to come inside and create whilst possessing good set-piece delivery and providing a threat from free kicks. Sound like anybody we know? I fear how Pereira gets in the side with Snodgrass being brought in and for that reason, I'm not really in favour of the move.

I understand that signings will be short term or on loan, fine, but let's not stunt the development of the core squad going forwards for someone who has a better temperament and more experience.

I'm more worried for Diangana to be honest but Snodgross does possess qualities that we lack. Fight and guile.

I'm still completely astounded at the lack of use of Grosicki but we're not at training everyday so who knows?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2021, 08:41:38 PM »
2 more words Kevin Phillips

For your Kevin Phillips and McAuley you can easily counter with

Ivanovic
Austin
Grosicki
Al Habsi
Peltier
Hoolahan
Mears

All more recent, and none of which are likely to be viewed as particularly successful in years to come.

33 may not be what it was 20 years ago, but the drop off is still huge. I believe I’ve seen poster on here (I think Stan) provide a great post on why you avoid players like Snodgrass after 29 or so.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:36 PM »

Ivanovic
Austin
Grosicki
Al Habsi
Peltier
Hoolahan
Mears

All more recent, and none of which are likely to be viewed as particularly successful in years to come.

33 may not be what it was 20 years ago, but the drop off is still huge. I believe I’ve seen poster on here (I think Stan) provide a great post on why you avoid players like Snodgrass after 29 or so.

He certainly has, there was one very good post. Although I do agree with him there are some exceptions to the rule. I fear this is the beginning of Standaman's worst nightmare and i sympathise!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »

Ivanovic
Austin
Grosicki
Al Habsi
Peltier
Hoolahan
Mears

I don't think we'd be investing for the future though, with sell on value. This would be a short term fix and nothing more. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2021, 09:01:32 PM »
He certainly has, there was one very good post. Although I do agree with him there are some exceptions to the rule. I fear this is the beginning of Standaman's worst nightmare and i sympathise!

I agree, that there will always be exceptions.

For me, Snodgrass isn’t it though.