Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass  (Read 18719 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Robert Snodgrass
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 08:14:22 AM »
Jumping on him before he even signs. People criticise our current squad then call out potential new signings as poo before they even put pen to paper. Why bother supporting Albion? We’ll never sign world beaters but Snodgrass knows how to play in the basement of the league which is exactly what we need right now.

Well said BB

Never liked Snodgrass when he has played against us as he has always done well, so I welcome him to the club. A no nonsense Scotsman who is not backward in coming forward, just the thing we need at the moment.

Beggars can't be choosers when you are in the position we are in.
There's a dragon ripping you to shreds
It wants to be your friend
It's just trying to impress you
So won't you let it be
Let it be!

WoysWunderful

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2021, 08:26:03 AM »
Jumping on him before he even signs. People criticise our current squad then call out potential new signings as poo before they even put pen to paper. Why bother supporting Albion? We’ll never sign world beaters but Snodgrass knows how to play in the basement of the league which is exactly what we need right now.

I get the impression sometimes we could sign Ronaldo and people would moan it wasnt Messi  ;D

Snodgrass is a scrapper of a bloke. Bar livermore we don't really have that attitude in the squad. That is exactly what we need. Look at it like the fletcher signing. Was he the best version on himself on the pitch? No that had passed. However off the pitch he was immense. I'm hoping Snodgrass has the same effect.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:11 AM »
Would have loved Snodgrass 8 years ago. At 33, i'm not convinced he adds much. A very Allardyce signing.
Boing Boing

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2021, 08:43:54 AM »
We need experience and personality which I believe he brings so I don’t really have an issue. It’s a needs must signing.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
Yet again we seem to be addressing our least priority position first. Absolute madness for me, we desperately need a DM, LB and at least one striker, yet here we are again going down a blind alley by signing another winger.
Better than Phillips and Edwards, no better than Grosicki, IMO.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2021, 09:14:06 AM »
I get the impression sometimes we could sign Ronaldo and people would moan it wasnt Messi  ;D.........

I wouldn't be moaning at Ronaldo over Messi, far more suited to our needs. When's the press release? I won't be happy until I've seen the obligatory photos of him with a top, scarf and a bowl of bacon with grey payz/faggots and payz  ;) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2021, 09:19:55 AM »
I wouldn't be moaning at Ronaldo over Messi, far more suited to our needs. When's the press release? I won't be happy until I've seen the obligatory photos of him with a top, scarf and a bowl of bacon with grey payz/faggots and payz  ;) .
They are both too old mate and Messi's never cut it at International level. Saw Ronaldo at the Hawthorns back in the day and he was gash, stay clear and move on.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
There are definitely more important positions to be filled. However Grosicki is off, I have no doubt in that (he'd have gone if Forest had got the deal done in time) so a winger makes some sense as the one's we've got have hardly been creating chances. Snodgrass is also good with freekicks (I remember him scoring a pearler at the hawthorns for Norwich) so he should improve us in a creative sense.

Dexy : kris_boing : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2021, 09:45:03 AM »
I haven't seen enough of him over the past 2 years to judge this. He does have ability, great left foot, dead ball delivery. The big questions are what's his fitness like in terms of staying fit ...need to make sure he's not in a regular injury cycle which Morrison and Brunt were from that age onwards.
Also, does he have the gas now to play wing back if that's what we are utilising ? If he's a candidate for playing an advanced central role, he'll be competing with Pereira and Krovinovic. Maybe Sam thinks he's more guaranteed a committed shift with Snodgrass. We definitely have an issue with consistent commitment levels and intensity.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »
It is really straight forward Ronaldo and Messi at their peak were generational talents even at the post peak stage of the their careers they are still better than most players on the planet, neither have had career limiting injuries and both have teams that are largely built around them.

Robert Snodgrass at his peak was a pretty average Premier League footballer. At the age of 29 West Ham paid too much money for him because they needed a short term fix. They replaced him within the year and loaned him out to Villa in the Championship. Admittedly he enjoyed a revival under Moyes but even the rather lumpen Moyes has done with him now. Enter West Bromwich Albion the new mug in the game.

He is not bringing anything for the here and now and the prospect of him lumbering around the Championship on over £20k a week is less than appealing if you wondered why we don't progress our youngsters into the first team and many jump at the first sight of a big payday it is this type of signing for this type of Head Coach. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »
Would Snodgrass have (almost) 80 caps if he was Polish? Not for me. The answer is staring us in the face if we need more quality in wide areas.

You’re not talking about a return are you?! Or are you!?

At first I thought you were talking about Grosicki but then I remembered a certain released player.

Synod grass is very similar to the kind of signing that put us where we are now really

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
You’re not talking about a return are you?! Or are you!?

At first I thought you were talking about Grosicki but then I remembered a certain released player.

Synod grass is very similar to the kind of signing that put us where we are now really

Thought it was pretty clearly about 78 cap Polish winger Kamil Grosicki mate  ;D

But if Brunty wasn't injured I'd have him back like a shot  8)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »

Haven't seen anyone "Jumping on him". Some people have pointed out he's a winger and we have plenty of those (myself included), some people have questioned if he's better than what we have already, such as Grosicki, which is a valid concern, and some people have discussed what contract length would be acceptable.

It's a transfer board, we discuss transfers, and people are allowed to question the quality of signings, otherwise what would be the point of the thread?

If he signs a daresay everyone will get behind him because he's an Albion player, but there's zero need for you to be questioning why people "bother supporting Albion" just because they are discussing an incoming 33 year-old winger.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 10:14:21 AM »
Thought it was pretty clearly about 78 cap Polish winger Kamil Grosicki mate  ;D

But if Brunty wasn't injured I'd have him back like a shot  8)
Have to say I thought Grosicki would be right up Sam's street , can only appear he's moving on which for me is a waste.  I can accept Snodgrass if that allows a bit more quality to come in as well.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 10:44:01 AM »
Snodgrass is the type of player we should have been all over 10 years ago, either when still in scotland or at Leeds in league one.

He's not for me now, not at 33. As others have said, Grosicki is better.   If we are to sign him, 18 months is also 12 months too much. Give him 6 months,  he will be rewarded handsomely and can prove he has the fitness for another championship contract (not with us).

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:43 AM »
Have to say I thought Grosicki would be right up Sam's street , can only appear he's moving on which for me is a waste.  I can accept Snodgrass if that allows a bit more quality to come in as well.

When we signed Grosicki a good friend of mine who is an avid Hull fan said that on his day he was very good, but most of the time you may as well field a traffic cone instead. His words not mine. I certainly have not seen enough of him in Albion colours to suggest anything different.

Would love to see him actually get some starts, but he has clearly upset someone and I suspect he already has a 'sold' sticker on him.
There's a dragon ripping you to shreds
It wants to be your friend
It's just trying to impress you
So won't you let it be
Let it be!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2021, 11:07:46 AM »
I don't think it's a case of direct comparison between Snodgrass or Grosicki. Snodgrass is more of an all-round wide midfield player with a higher work rate, whereas we don't know what's going on with Grosicki but could we afford to play Pereira, Grosicki and Diangana, all relatively lightweight in premier league in terms ?

In an ideal world we wouldn't have appointed Allardyce, would have stuck to a more long term plan even if it meant certain relegation...and so would be looking at younger signings. That's not where we're at. The owner wants to stay up at all costs Allardyce wants premier league ready signings. I doubt we are going to find any at the age that we want which fits our budget.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
We need experience and personality which I believe he brings so I don’t really have an issue. It’s a needs must signing.

Like Ivanovic you mean?
Loads of experience, loads of personality.
Problem is there's no football in his legs
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2021, 11:26:06 AM »
Snodgrass brings experience, ability, fight, workrate and skill. Unlike our other wingers he's not going to take rubbish lying down, not going to start internally crying when things dont go his way and will put a shift and tackle in. This puts him at least equal best with what we have.

YEs he's just turned 33 but we only have 2 loans left and i guess they will be going for bigger wages/better player types with those 2 loans and using nominal fees and 6-18 month contracts for Snodgrass type players with PL experience.

It's not one deal to get our peckers up for in it's own right but i think we will see plenty moved on and rightly so, squads way overloaded in a certain type of player and malnourished in other areas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:31:53 AM by gazberg »

victor mature

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 11:27:12 AM »
I like Snodgrass but when he gets injured, he seems to be out for ages.  I might be wrong.
the other thing is just a feeling/vibe. He really got involved when he was at Villa,on and off the pitch so much I thought they'd sign him. I can't see him doing that here. we need committed players in other areas

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2021, 11:53:31 AM »
I've always thought he was a decent player, but is "in your face" enough for what we need now?  Also one of his main strengths is free kicks, where we already have Perreira.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
Like Ivanovic you mean?
Loads of experience, loads of personality.
Problem is there's no football in his legs

Fair point. Yes he does need to deliver on the pitch as well.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2021, 12:44:53 PM »
Snodgrass brings experience, ability, fight, workrate and skill. Unlike our other wingers he's not going to take rubbish lying down, not going to start internally crying when things dont go his way and will put a shift and tackle in. This puts him at least equal best with what we have.

YEs he's just turned 33 but we only have 2 loans left and i guess they will be going for bigger wages/better player types with those 2 loans and using nominal fees and 6-18 month contracts for Snodgrass type players with PL experience.

It's not one deal to get our peckers up for in it's own right but i think we will see plenty moved on and rightly so, squads way overloaded in a certain type of player and malnourished in other areas.

We have 1 domestic loan and unlimited foreign loans.

gazberg

• WBA Coach

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2021, 12:50:18 PM »
We have 1 domestic loan and unlimited foreign loans.

I stand corrected. Thought it was 2 of each. Thank you for clearing that up. Dowlings working his magic as we speak.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
Is Snodgrass still involved with Scotland ?

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.