Poll

Do you want Sam to stay as manager?

Yes
103 (63.2%)
No
60 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Sam Allardyce  (Read 598531 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Sam Allardyce
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
I agree - but that's because we set up to park the bus surely?  Are we gong to be happy to see us parking the bus in every game?
Theres a thin line between parking the bus and defending well by having a threat , the money difference in this league makes that our only option really .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2020, 06:33:42 PM »
No such thing as free any more. Any incomings will be dependent on us moving on Austin, Grosicki etc

Austin maybe, but Grosicki may find himself back in favour.

I do expect SA has been given some assurances about a budget though. I don't imagine it will be huge, but i suspect there will be something available for him.  If he has been keeping abreast of football, I imagine he will already have a few players in mind. 

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »
I agree - but that's because we set up to park the bus surely?  Are we gong to be happy to see us parking the bus in every game?

Well it’s going to be a damn sight better than watching us get turned over every bloody week.

Some of it will be ugly, some of it will be good.

Those really harping on about entertaining football are confusing me really as we’ve seen nothing this season that can be considered neither competitive nor entertaining under Bilic.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2020, 06:39:58 PM »
Well it’s going to be a damn sight better than watching us get turned over every bloody week.

Some of it will be ugly, some of it will be good.

Those really harping on about entertaining football are confusing me really as we’ve seen nothing this season that can be considered neither competitive nor entertaining under Bilic.

I'm also finding it very odd. We have 10 goals from 13 games, which averages out at 29-30 goals a season. Only 5 goals in our last 10. And you could hardly say we've deserved to score much more. We're actually the only team in the bottom 7 exceeding our expected goals, which is just 7.5. Despite conceding by far the most goals in the league alongside this.

Yet to read on here you'd thimk we're the great entertainers of the league.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:41:56 PM by Dan »

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2020, 06:40:31 PM »
Oh well I hope I'm wrong but I think we're going backwards as well as downwards!
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2020, 06:41:13 PM »
Theres a lot more than can be discussed but very simply put imo we had no realistic chance of getting the points required under Slav to stay up, under Big Sam i immediately feel like we have a realistic chance of doing so and expect us to pick points up straight away.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
The silver lining to take from this for me is I now expect some significant movement on players in January.
Allerdyce is unlikely to have agreed to have come in without some commitments to strengthening the squad. Maybe Lai and Dowling have made some of the £15m covid reserve available to bring in bodies.

Probably a blessing on disguise that the crowds aren't back. The fact he's a wulf means he'd be turned on pretty quick.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
He signed nzonzi at Blackburn, diame and creswell to west ham viduka at newcastle. Okocha at bolton so big sam not afraid to buy from abroad and happy to buy in talent.

Bilic wasn't afraid to buy talent either.

Lai was.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2020, 06:43:42 PM »
Albion59 is spot on.

It's all a bit dramatic this club has been lost to me forever business. When Pulis took over I didnt renew my season ticket until he left. I still supported Albion and he was the right person for the job, at the time, for our position. I simply watched on TV.

When I wanted, I came back.
When Pulis became manager i used to go home and away. We went to Watford it was the worst football i had ever seen i said to my mate at half time don't ask me to come to another away game again while he is in charge! My next away game was Spurs away at Wembley a week after he went!  Don't expect ut to be that bad under big Sam.

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2020, 06:46:46 PM »
Bilic wasn't afraid to buy talent either.

Lai was.

Which one of Slav’s talented signing have shown anything this season?

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2020, 06:47:02 PM »
Well I dont agree with the slav decision but no point crying over spilt milk I guess.

Big Sam is a pragmatist hopefully closer to roy than pulis. In his positions he has had some flair players did he have okocha and djorkaeff at bolton? He took the up consolidated them and even got them into europe and always had a go at the cups?

Now if our manager tries to win games and targets the cups and tries to get our club Europe that's all I can hope for. Cup success is about all a club like ours can ever manage.

He has been in charge of blackburn when they were in a right old mess and did a good job. Newcastle and west ham ain't easy jobs poor owners high expectations and he didnt do badly at either.

He signed van annolt sclupp and milojevik (spelling unsure) all 3 are still mainstays and used by Hodgson even now.

He signed nzonzi at Blackburn, diame and creswell to west ham viduka at newcastle. Okocha at bolton so big sam not afraid to buy from abroad and happy to buy in talent.

I will give the guy a go and hope that Mr Lai sells soon.

And Anelka in his prime too

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2020, 06:48:46 PM »
Albion59 it feels people feel entitled to have their exact version of what they want exactly to happen at the club but we are fans. We have little say.

I supported the decision to appoint Pulis because it was right for the club. I couldn't watch it week in week out so I simply stopped going to the Hawthorns. The club should always come first. I missed not going but it was a means to an end for the club and more important than me sulking because of Pulisball.

Sam definitely will not be as bad as Pulis. You are right again there

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
Think Sam's going to love VAR, it's changed a lot since he was last at the sharp end.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
The comments about not being as bad as Pulis are setting the bar very low indeed. Is that really what you will be happy with? Not as bad as Pulis?

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2020, 06:58:09 PM »
Sam Allardyce was good enough for England only 4 years ago . If he had kept quiet then he may well still be manager of the team .

Good enough for England , good enough for WBA .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
The comments about not being as bad as Pulis are setting the bar very low indeed. Is that really what you will be happy with? Not as bad as Pulis?

If it keeps us up and the club financially sound then for me it's a yes.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »
David Moyes's success with spam probably a factor in going after Sam. Not my ideal candidate would have liked Howe but in Dowlings brief it had to be a coach with experience of getting out of trouble.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2020, 07:11:55 PM »
I'm chuffed with this appointment.  To me the decisions made today have given us the best chance to stay in this league.

I firmly believe that Sam will leave us in a better position than we are currently.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2020, 07:14:24 PM »
It was mentioned on Twitter the board wanted to get him in ASAP before other clubs started sacking their managers. Those clubs would almost certainly turn to Allardyce because he's No.1 firefighter supreme that's available.

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2020, 07:15:03 PM »
I'm chuffed with this appointment.  To me the decisions made today have given us the best chance to stay in this league.

I firmly believe that Sam will leave us in a better position than we are currently.

I thought i was the only one who believed in this appointment .

Looking forward to watching the upcoming matches with a **Glimmer ** of hope rather than wishful thinking .

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2020, 07:15:19 PM »
When Pulis became manager i used to go home and away. We went to Watford it was the worst football i had ever seen i said to my mate at half time don't ask me to come to another away game again while he is in charge! My next away game was Spurs away at Wembley a week after he went!  Don't expect ut to be that bad under big Sam.

If Watford away under Pulis was your worst exeprience you got away light, trust me, things got a whole lot worse.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »

Glad I’m not the only one, it’s a shame Slav has gone but the correct one for club.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2020, 07:20:48 PM »
I’ve talked myself around on Allardyce I think he’s more in the Roy mold rather than Pulis & let’s be honest if we announced Roy today everyone would be delighted. I think we have a better chance of staying up with Allardyce I still don’t think he keeps this team up though, I just don’t see 3 teams worse than we are even with Allardyce in charge.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
We can't outplay teams at this level without massive investment in the squad.  Its just not going to happen.

Allardyce is not Pulis.  Pulis was the extreme.  Allardyce will evaluate the squad and work on its weaknesses and make us hard to beat.  That's exactly what we need right now.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »

Just hope it's about 3 places higher in the league than where we are now.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?