Author Topic: Laurie Cunningham  (Read 6131 times)

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

Re: Laurie Cunningham
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »
Over 50 years of going to the baggies and he is still the best player I have witnessed, a fantastically gifted player and we were never the same when he and Len Cantello left.
God bless Him and Big Cyrille.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

KN22

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2021, 10:33:50 PM »
Over 50 years of going to the baggies and he is still the best player I have witnessed, a fantastically gifted player and we were never the same when he and Len Cantello left.
God bless Him and Big Cyrille.

Totally agree. On pure skill alone, the best player I have seen in our colours.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
Can't believe it's been 32 years. Such a sad loss at far too young an age.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2021, 09:15:24 PM »
Saw a reader's letter in the i newspaper during this last week penned by a Laurie Cunningham.  Wondered if his parents were Baggies fans

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2021, 04:21:44 AM »
Interesting and in-depth article about Laurie, who I had the pleasure of watching in the flesh, on the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58822497
COYB
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

Downunder Stripes

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2021, 07:27:27 AM »
Is there a catch up for ITV4 - can't remember? And yes I know I could have a look on my smart telly but I'm inherently lazy and dependent on this forum.  :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xywddi

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2021, 10:52:09 AM »
Interesting and in-depth article about Laurie, who I had the pleasure of watching in the flesh, on the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58822497
COYB
Some things never change  ;D ;D

Cunningham was certainly making an impact. At the end of that 1978-79 season, disagreements over salary led to him sending out letters to Europe's top clubs stating his availability. He found one already had a keen interest: Real Madrid.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten
Twitter - @Hodge2802

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »
Some things never change  ;D ;D

Cunningham was certainly making an impact. At the end of that 1978-79 season, disagreements over salary led to him sending out letters to Europe's top clubs stating his availability. He found one already had a keen interest: Real Madrid.

Tells you two things. The level Laurie Cunningham was at and the Albion's traditional approach to wage negotiations.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2021, 10:59:51 AM »
Tells you two things. The level Laurie Cunningham was at and the Albion's traditional approach to wage negotiations.
He loved a dance but even the lure of a Friday night at Sparkles couldn't keep him here  :'(

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »
He loved a dance but even the lure of a Friday night at Sparkles couldn't keep him here  :'(

Christ Sparkles, i had forgotten all about that den of iniquity !  was a re-invention of Sandies if i recall correctly.
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:18 PM »
One of our greatest ever players
Laurie is in my top albion team of all time

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2021, 01:21:41 PM »
One of our greatest ever players
Laurie is in my top albion team of all time

he is in EVERYONES greatest ever albion team !
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2021, 01:54:25 PM »
he is in EVERYONES greatest ever albion team !

Its a shame many of us have no real idea about him other than reputation.

In reality, you’ve got to around 50 or older to have any real memories of him with us.. Most of us younger than that will probably have only seen 20-30 minutes of highlight reel.

Some younger fans might have gone back and sought more footage of old matches, but I doubt it’s that many.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2021, 01:59:45 PM »
Its a shame many of us have no real idea about him other than reputation.

In reality, you’ve got to around 50 or older to have any real memories of him with us.. Most of us younger than that will probably have only seen 20-30 minutes of highlight reel.

Some younger fans might have gone back and sought more footage of old matches, but I doubt it’s that many.
You only need to watch one match at Old Trafford in 1978.....
Twitter - @Hodge2802

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2021, 02:13:38 PM »
I worshiped the bloke, but I'll forever remember one moment. Liverpool v Albion at Anfield, Feb 1979. I was in the Kop keeping my gob tightly shut (no more room left in the Baggies end)! We were top of the league after the big freeze and were 1 -0 up. Then Laurie had a chance to make it 2 and opted to pass it to Ally Brown instead and the moment was lost! We eventually lost 2 - 1, they went top and we never did again.

I always wonder how different it could have been if Laurie had made it 2 - 0 and we stayed top of the league. Tried to find it on Yowtube but no joy. Anyone else remember that?

Still love him to bits though.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 02:15:24 PM by miggybaggy »

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »
Christ Sparkles, i had forgotten all about that den of iniquity !  was a re-invention of Sandies if i recall correctly.
Yeah, now you mention it, was probably still Sandies in 79. Some good nights there in the 80's (and some not so good!) 8).

mulliganstired

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2021, 02:22:42 PM »
I worshiped the bloke, but I'll forever remember one moment. Liverpool v Albion at Anfield, Feb 1979. I was in the Kop keeping my gob tightly shut (no more room left in the Baggies end)! We were top of the league after the big freeze and were 1 -0 up. Then Laurie had a chance to make it 2 and opted to pass it to Ally Brown instead and the moment was lost! We eventually lost 2 - 1, they went top and we never did again.

I always wonder how different it could have been if Laurie had made it 2 - 0 and we stayed top of the league. Tried to find it on Yowtube but no joy. Anyone else remember that?

I wasn't at the game but what a season and what a player.  High water mark if my life.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:55 PM »
You only need to watch one match at Old Trafford in 1978.....

I think I’ve seen the full 5-3, I think my dad had it on VHS when I was a kid. if not I’ve definitely seen  some old extended highlights that were well over half an hour long, i rewatched it a couple of years ago online. Many won’t have done though.  One game is also never enough to really judge is it.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »
.......One game is also never enough to really judge is it.

Meanwhile many a player has been slaughtered on here for much less than one game. In fairness my mind was pretty much made up on Kyle Bartley after about five minutes at Aberdeen  ;D .

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »
I think I’ve seen the full 5-3, I think my dad had it on VHS when I was a kid. if not I’ve definitely seen  some old extended highlights that were well over half an hour long, i rewatched it a couple of years ago online. Many won’t have done though.  One game is also never enough to really judge is it.
Im saying if you need to sum up how good he could be, just watch that match
Twitter - @Hodge2802

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2021, 03:54:47 PM »
What a team we had then, a far cry from where we are now and anything since.
What have we done?
And what have we become?
In this distance from our Mother
To the gates of late Eden

costa blanca baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 04:19:16 PM »

I was also in the Kop that day, but remember that late chance differently. I thought it was Ally Brown through on goal, but missed when there was a player in a better position to pass to. Amazing that there doesn’t seem to be any footage available.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
That’s how I remember it , I also thought we went 2 down pulled one back and this chance would have been the equaliser ? Amazing what the years do to the old grey matter !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

BlackCountryPride68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2021, 04:58:13 PM »
That’s how I remember it , I also thought we went 2 down pulled one back and this chance would have been the equaliser ? Amazing what the years do to the old grey matter !

I was there too. I was also in the Kop (with an Everton supporting mate - Everton were challenging at the top too that season but fell away badly). Massive and vociferous Albion following - a sight to behold from the opposite end - and lots of trouble after the game. As I recall we were 2-0 and pulled one back before Laurie missed a golden chance to equalise. Truth be told, Liverpool did a right number on us and deserved the win. It was almost flattering to see such a superb footballing side reduced to kicking lumps out of us. Anyone else remember the home game earlier in the season when we were set for a deserved win (I think Laurie scored for us?) before Kenny Dalglish's 'he's behind you!' equaliser late on?

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2021, 06:06:59 PM »
I remember that match I was in the bre and it was Tony Godden in goal and he didn't look around behind him
Ever since that game he always turned his head around just in case