Poll

How would you rate Luke Dowlings tenure to date (26 may 2021)

Roaring success, we'll be lucky to keep him
2 (1.8%)
Doing well given the limitations he has to work under
9 (8.1%)
Ok
16 (14.4%)
Poor, could be doing better overall
49 (44.1%)
Abject, needs to be fired or walk,
35 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: June 05, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Luke Dowling  (Read 60587 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Re: Luke Dowling
« Reply #950 on: June 14, 2021, 05:30:46 PM »
I'd love it if we ran with no sporting and technical director and just scrapped the head coach title. Get a manager in and give him full control of transfers etc. The sporting and technical director model hasn't worked since Ashworth left all those years ago. Since then we have had Garlic, Burton, Hammond, The Italian fella and Dowling. All of which have been colossal failures. 1 success to 5 failures. Scrap it now Albion and learn your lessons.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #951 on: June 14, 2021, 05:34:56 PM »
I don't see how this is bad timing, it's perfect timing surely?
We can now look to bring in a cohesive team to prepare for the new era. I thought that's what everyone wanted?

This is West Brom your talking about
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #952 on: June 14, 2021, 05:44:02 PM »
This is West Brom your talking about
I'm not in the "we are a shambles" brigade though.
We were promoted the season before last and went down, expectedly, due to lack of finance.
Everyone going on about doing a Sunderland etc. well Sunderland (and Forest, and Sheff wed and Derby and Blues etc. etc.) would love to do a West Brom.
Dowling had to go if he was involved in the leak about Wilder and will not be difficult to replace. Once that's done we get a new head coach in and prepare for August.
Come May we'll be top 6 minimum.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #953 on: June 14, 2021, 06:11:13 PM »
Does Dan Ashworth earn 7 figures a year with BHA.

If not, go get him, pay what it takes. It’s the best investment Lai could now make. Give him all the authority he wants.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #954 on: June 14, 2021, 06:12:58 PM »
Does Dan Ashworth earn 7 figures a year with BHA.

If not, go get him, pay what it takes. It’s the best investment Lai could now make. Give him all the authority he wants.

Brilliant plan JC right up to that point......... ;D
Remember...
What the doormouse said...

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #955 on: June 14, 2021, 06:28:19 PM »
I'd love it if we ran with no sporting and technical director and just scrapped the head coach title. Get a manager in and give him full control of transfers etc. The sporting and technical director model hasn't worked since Ashworth left all those years ago. Since then we have had Garlic, Burton, Hammond, The Italian fella and Dowling. All of which have been colossal failures. 1 success to 5 failures. Scrap it now Albion and learn your lessons.

I’m thinking the same as you baggie38. It’s been 10 years since Dan Ashworth left the Albion for the FA. Perhaps it’s time we moved on from the technical director/head coach model. Especially given some of the unmitigated disasters we’ve had since as described in your post.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #956 on: June 14, 2021, 06:32:19 PM »

IMO, to do that, you would need to get rid of the academy, it just wouldn't be possible for one man to focus on the first team & the academy.
Lai's eco town project which included football facilities & academies, appears to be dead in the water, so it could be in his mind to dismantle our academy.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #957 on: June 14, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
Alister Jones, ex WBA Sky Fan Zone commentator Tweeted

I never post, I know a lot of what goes on behind the scenes at our club, but we are in trouble. Said for a long time be careful what you wish for. Hope the people who think Dowling was the problem are happy. Desperately worrying times, next Sunderland written all over this
My posts are my personal views and any links or external inclusions are not necessarily an endorsement by me.
I'm an ordinary bloke with no hidden agenda, here just to enjoy all things Albion etc.

It's all about opinions, so don't shoot the messenger if he/she has a different view to you!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #958 on: June 14, 2021, 07:17:30 PM »
Alister Jones, ex WBA Sky Fan Zone commentator Tweeted

I never post, I know a lot of what goes on behind the scenes at our club, but we are in trouble. Said for a long time be careful what you wish for. Hope the people who think Dowling was the problem are happy. Desperately worrying times, next Sunderland written all over this

I agree with him. It is a shambles.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #959 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »
I agree with him. It is a shambles.
I must admit as much as I've made case against Dowling the timing is strange at best , to allow the retained / released list to be done a few weeks back is odd to say the least .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #960 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:59 PM »
Lets be honest and I posted at the time , I don't know how he could carry on in his post after the rug was pulled from under him by our owner, so to me it was only a matter of time. he wasn't going to walk but wait until he was shoved and take a nice little hand shake with him.
I reserve my judgement on the goings on until its all done and dusted , but I must say at the moment I feel like I'm hanging over a cliff edge by a piece of cotton.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #961 on: June 14, 2021, 07:25:12 PM »
For me it's not the model in itself that is the problem, but the people we hire to perform the key role(s) within it. But beyond that, it's becoming more and more evident that there are far greater influences on Lai than the DoF anyway, so it almost doesn't matter who fulfils that role.

The big decisions taken at this club seem to often be reactionary and based on outdated stereotypes. Things like 'Pulis/Allardyce guarantee Prem survival' or 'you need experience over youth / inexperience of the league/country'. Even Allardyce apparently advising on our next appointment by saying the manager needs to have experience in getting promoted from the championship. That's hugely limiting but if it carries weight with Lai then it's what we go with. Unfortunately it seems whoever is influencing Lai tends to hold these outdated views.

Lai of course buys into this because he needs to get back to the Prem asap so that he can sell. It's frustrating because it leads to cheap and short-term decisions which in my opinion are still high risk - and if they fail to work then we will soon find ourselves in a very precarious position.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #962 on: June 14, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »
bloke was in over his head Jenkins probably covered his limitations as he appointed Slaven. Allardyce was no brainer when owner lost faith in Bilic and it appears he wanted Wilder even when those that employ him told him no.

Yes, I get that he may have been over his head - but he's not the main problem here, the owners are.

WHY would you not want Wilder?! What if we bring in Alex Neill? I don't care about Dowling at that point, somethings clearly very wrong and as I say, Dowling is not the main problem, he's barely even a symptom.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #963 on: June 14, 2021, 07:38:39 PM »
This so called statement is taking its time isn't it

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #964 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:32 PM »
Pereira liking posts on Twitter slating Dowling  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 08:36:43 PM by baggie96 »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #965 on: June 14, 2021, 08:30:54 PM »
Pereira liking posts on Twitter seating Dowling  ;D

Just seen he liked the wba post announcing Dowling had gone. Robson Kanu and Kipre also liked the post on Instagram.

Seems he wasn’t very liked within the club.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #966 on: June 14, 2021, 08:31:47 PM »
Pereira liking podsts on Twitter seating Dowling  ;D
Crikey , its genuine too .  :o
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #967 on: June 14, 2021, 08:32:40 PM »
It’s pretty clear to me that Bilic was building a team, Dowling insisted on adding players Bilic didn’t rate / want and consequently Bilic went, now Dowling has gone the Bilic players are pleased and the outcasts are similarly pleased.
We now enter “need someone to pull the club together territory” last time this happened Darren got the gig, those joking about Mozza / Brunty may not be so far off the mark !!!
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #968 on: June 14, 2021, 08:35:13 PM »
I'd day that the statement this evening strongly suggests we will move away from the technical director model, atleast in the shirt term. Talk of reviewing however structure our football operation. Lai wants more say and hands on control of how things are done. Will be a disaster based on the lack of football nous they have shown so far.
Boing Boing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #969 on: June 14, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »
I'd day that the statement this evening strongly suggests we will move away from the technical director model, atleast in the shirt term. Talk of reviewing however structure our football operation. Lai wants more say and hands on control of how things are done. Will be a disaster based on the lack of football nous they have shown so far.

No evidence of that. He loves to fire people. Just as he kicked Williams and Hammond out, now it is Dowling. What makes you think Lai will be hands on? He's never even in the country.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #970 on: June 14, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
It’s pretty clear to me that Bilic was building a team, Dowling insisted on adding players Bilic didn’t rate / want and consequently Bilic went, now Dowling has gone the Bilic players are pleased and the outcasts are similarly pleased.
We now enter “need someone to pull the club together territory” last time this happened Darren got the gig, those joking about Mozza / Brunty may not be so far off the mark !!!

This is rational view, given what we know. The players probably blame Dowling for sacking their manager and are glad to see the back of him.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #971 on: June 14, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »
This is rational view, given what we know. The players probably blame Dowling for sacking their manager and are glad to see the back of him.
Players will also have seen the academy raped and whilst it wouldn’t affect them directly there will have been relationships which were destroyed, all adds to an atmosphere of general antithesis towards the man responsible
Lovin the championship, just lovin it !

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #972 on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
Just seen he liked the wba post announcing Dowling had gone. Robson Kanu and Kipre also liked the post on Instagram.

I’m glad we’re rid of his filth.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #973 on: June 14, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
No evidence of that. He loves to fire people. Just as he kicked Williams and Hammond out, now it is Dowling. What makes you think Lai will be hands on? He's never even in the country.

It's purely my reading of the situation following the goings on of the last few weeks and the statement tonight. It seems Dowling kept trying to push through Wilder against Leo's wishes. Next thing we know, Dowling is gone and the club are announcing a review of how we do our football operations.

I'd say that means Lai is considering doing away with the technical director role and instead having his people make the key decisions and his people only.

We will see.
Boing Boing

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #974 on: June 14, 2021, 10:00:23 PM »

It's an interesting dichotomy between what Alister Jones has said and some players being publicly supportive of Dowling's departure. I'm happy that he's gone, but the blundering and incoherent incompetence of the "strategy" (e.g. the timing of Dowling's departure) being employed by the 3 green bottles still standing on the wall gives me no confidence that optimal decisions will be made going forward. They need to expand the Board by bringing in "proper" experienced football people.