Poll

How would you rate Luke Dowlings tenure to date (26 may 2021)

Roaring success, we'll be lucky to keep him
2 (1.8%)
Doing well given the limitations he has to work under
9 (8.1%)
Ok
16 (14.4%)
Poor, could be doing better overall
49 (44.1%)
Abject, needs to be fired or walk,
35 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: June 05, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Luke Dowling  (Read 132041 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Luke Dowling
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
He was long gone by then. Hammond and Terraneo were after Garlick.

Hammond. Good grief. He was awful too. Totally forgot.him. I pray Lai leaves asap. Can't stand his garbage choices.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »
Genuinely don’t get the hate towards LD. Think he’s done a solid job every transfer window even without mentioning the little wriggle room he has from above spending the £££.

He's done a pretty ordinary job at every window he has overseen, which is the problem. For us to stay in the premier league without the advantage of a sugar daddy, london money , a big fan base or a Mendes style arrangement, we need to be at the top of our game with an imaginative sporting director and scouting network. With Dowling, we have none of that. He is a championship director, nothing more.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »
Loads on SM over the past few days on how our recruitment was so much better with Dan Ashworth as Sporting Director.

So I looked at Brighton's performance.

They are 5 points better off than us in the table & over the last 5 games have got 1 more point than us.

Not sure the finger should be pointing at Dowling, he can only spend what he's given.

Brighton are only 5 points off us, but they are dominating most games they play and just can't seem to score.

I think with a managerial change you might see them get mid table. Lets see what Ashworth does in the next month.
Boing Boing

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »
Brighton are only 5 points off us, but they are dominating most games they play and just can't seem to score.

I think with a managerial change you might see them get mid table. Lets see what Ashworth does in the next month.

I don’t think they need a managerial change, I think Potter is quite close to cracking it. If Brighton had a Danny Ings I could easily see them up near Southampton.

If they do sack Potter we should be straight on to him saying if we go down, he’s the man we want.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2020, 09:27:30 PM »
I don’t think they need a managerial change, I think Potter is quite close to cracking it. If Brighton had a Danny Ings I could easily see them up near Southampton.

If they do sack Potter we should be straight on to him saying if we go down, he’s the man we want.

Running the risk of going off topic, i'm still not sure on Potter. In one sense Brighton are getting a lot right, but then again, is the lack of goals a flaw in how Potter sets up?
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2020, 09:29:00 PM »
Running the risk of going off topic, i'm still not sure on Potter. In one sense Brighton are getting a lot right, but then again, is the lack of goals a flaw in how Potter sets up?

What's their xG?  ;)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:36 PM »
What's their xG?  ;)

I know it’s tongue in cheek,  but i looked anyway.

The XG stats say they should be around 6th/7th and have 11 points less than they should. The are by far the most under-rewarded side this season.

Conversely, we have more points than we should have  :-X

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
What's their xG?  ;)

Brighton's xG performance is closer to a top 6 team than a relegation threatened one. Ours on the other hand resembles a block of concrete in a swimming contest.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2020, 09:55:45 PM »
I know it’s tongue in cheek,  but i looked anyway.

The XG stats say they should be around 6th/7th and have 11 points less than they should. The are by far the most under-rewarded side this season.

Conversely, we have more points than we should have  :-X

So a player issue as opposed to system/manager? If we remotely place any stock in xG of course.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »
So a player issue as opposed to system/manager? If we remotely place any stock in xG of course.

Seems that way to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
Seems that way to me.

Thought so, despite the money they've spent their forward line looks very 'budget' to me.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »

Liverpool do   ;)
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2020, 10:24:42 PM »
Liverpool do   ;)

It's a valuable metric imo but not when used in isolation. My point was designed to show that Potter is a good manager and his players finishing is what is letting them down after Baggies post.

Anyway back on topic, Dowling is pony and probably thinks xG is a model of Jaguar car.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2020, 11:08:03 PM »
Dowling should appoint himself to the discard the first available opportunity

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2020, 11:44:16 PM »
My point was designed to show that Potter is a good manager and his players finishing is what is letting them down after Baggies post.

Anyway back on topic, Dowling is pony and probably thinks xG is a model of Jaguar car.
I agree with all of this - hang out the bunting!  ;D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2020, 11:51:54 PM »
I agree with all of this - hang out the bunting!  ;D

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any stranger!!  ;D

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2020, 12:29:27 AM »
It's a valuable metric imo but not when used in isolation. My point was designed to show that Potter is a good manager and his players finishing is what is letting them down after Baggies post.

I’m genuinely not sure. Those who watch them regularly say the issue is that they just don’t shoot (no idea if that is correct or not). In Maupay as well, they have a player who didn’t seem to have an issue before and who managed double figures last season. They are just an odd side who dominate games but something isn’t clicking.

Maybe it is just the need for the right striker. Up to Ashworth to put that right.
Boing Boing

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2020, 01:25:16 PM »
(xG) Ours on the other hand resembles a block of concrete in a swimming contest.
I'm sort of surprised it's that good.

Potter is a good manager
Well, yes. His showing in Sweden was pretty amazing. We really should have brought him home in 2018 but didn't, I presume because DM had had that purple patch at the back end of the previous season.

Edited to say I just read this on wikipedia:
Henrik Larsson commented on Potter's pattern of play, stating he "played all different kinds of systems, starting off a match one way, and then halfway through they started playing a different system, and then they ended up with a third system. And all the players knew exactly what they were doing."
That last sentence...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 01:27:28 PM by OhBilics »
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »
Must be a man under massive pressure for several reasons now.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2021, 08:15:20 PM »

Amazed he's still in a job. No one man can get everything right but this guy?? Failure after failure. LOst our academy staff due to him too. I can't say it feels worth it at the moment.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2021, 08:26:58 PM »
He shouldn’t be trusted to re-build the team his recruitment is rubbish 70% of the time & clearly Allardyce was his doing. In saying that I have absolutely no faith that Lai / Ken will make the right appointment if Dowling does get the boot, Terrano goes to show Lai hasn’t got a clue how to run a football club.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »
Amazed he's still in a job. No one man can get everything right but this guy?? Failure after failure. LOst our academy staff due to him too. I can't say it feels worth it at the moment.
Think he did well with Ajayi  , Furlong and Sawyers at that level . Grosiki should have played more too .
Hard to know exactly what went down with Slav but I wouldn't be spending big money on Ajeti either .
You get the feeling he won't get much say on transfers with Allardyce.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2021, 08:37:18 PM »
Think he did well with Ajayi  , Furlong and Sawyers at that level . Grosiki should have played more too .
Hard to know exactly what went down with Slav but I wouldn't be spending big money on Ajeti either .
You get the feeling he won't get much say on transfers with Allardyce.

Thing is those 4 were known, decent Championship players. They were just addding to the squad and at a total of AROUND 7m it was hard for him to go wrong. He didn't unearth a hidden gem for me.

I also think he will be taking a backseat to Sam and rightly so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:30:03 PM by gazberg »

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »

I really hope so. I doubt Lai and the other clowns would find anybody better, but i'm happy for us to roll the dice.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2021, 12:27:51 AM »
The signing of Zohore should have got this bloke the sack