Poll

How would you rate Luke Dowlings tenure to date (26 may 2021)

Roaring success, we'll be lucky to keep him
2 (1.8%)
Doing well given the limitations he has to work under
9 (8.1%)
Ok
16 (14.4%)
Poor, could be doing better overall
49 (44.1%)
Abject, needs to be fired or walk,
35 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: June 05, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Luke Dowling  (Read 132011 times)

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Luke Dowling
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Slaven is being ham-strung by Dowling. Slaven wanted a striker. Dowling goes for midfield and defence.
The manager can see what is needed, but office boy(s) are just using an abacus.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
Slaven is being ham-strung by Dowling. Slaven wanted a striker. Dowling goes for midfield and defence.
The manager can see what is needed, but office boy(s) are just using an abacus.

The biggest problem this season is the lack of money to spend on players.

Dowling would love a bigger budget to play with.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 04:41:37 PM »
The biggest problem this season is the lack of money to spend on players.

Dowling would love a bigger budget to play with.
so he can pee it away on pooh

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2020, 06:27:45 PM »
We’re so close to being competitive which is why the recruitment is so frustrating. With Ivanović and Gallagher coming in it should solve two big issues but we still need another centre mid and a striker. Krovinovic I assume will be one, the links to getafe and Bologna are weird as I doubt they can even afford the €6 million that we want to pay let alone the €10 million Benfica want. Grant then seems to be the first choice striker but the alternatives just seem to be bewildering. Surely there is a striker somewhere in Europe that is better that Andre gray and Troy Deeney?!

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2020, 06:35:56 PM »
8 million for Zohore and 4 million for Austin let your argument down both panic buys by Dowling. And before Pereira, Diangana and Krov are mentioned all recruited by Slaven.

I dont think you can call Charlie Austin a panic buy. 4 million quid for a striker proven in the championship seemed like a no brainer at the time.

Yes he didnt do as well as I thought he would but those ten goals he got, got us over the line. A lot of them were winners or equalisers that got us the points we needed

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
so he can pee it away on *****

What’s that comment based upon?

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
I can't see how this is Dowlings fault. Unfortunately we have had to spend money on signing last year's loan players. We clearly have a very limited budget which is not decided by Dowling. We spent 26m on 2 loan players. But that didn't even increase the head count. We needed several more players but Dowling is having to shop in an over inflated market with just a few coins. I would like us to push the boat out for Grant but we really need 2 more strikers. Its an impossible job for Dowling.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2020, 06:56:34 PM »
I can't see how this is Dowlings fault. Unfortunately we have had to spend money on signing last year's loan players. We clearly have a very limited budget which is not decided by Dowling. We spent 26m on 2 loan players. But that didn't even increase the head count. We needed several more players but Dowling is having to shop in an over inflated market with just a few coins. I would like us to push the boat out for Grant but we really need 2 more strikers. Its an impossible job for Dowling.
Dowling's refusal to buy in the overseas market is hindering us ,lets him down IMO.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »
We’re so close to being competitive which is why the recruitment is so frustrating. With Ivanović and Gallagher coming in it should solve two big issues but we still need another centre mid and a striker. Krovinovic I assume will be one, the links to getafe and Bologna are weird as I doubt they can even afford the €6 million that we want to pay let alone the €10 million Benfica want. Grant then seems to be the first choice striker but the alternatives just seem to be bewildering. Surely there is a striker somewhere in Europe that is better that Andre gray and Troy Deeney?!

That was exactly what I was thinking. Those clubs have virtually no income as no fans allowed in and less tv income. Imo rumours put out by benfica to pressure us.

There is no way if we paid £12m for gd and £8.5m for mp that he is worth £9m. Take the the £4-5m or goodbye Krov and if Bilic doesn't like goodbye to him to. We haven't the money to waste on bench warmers who showed up against a knackered Newcastle.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:04 PM »
Exactly what Dexy said. It isn't Dowling's fault we have no money, but we need him to make up for the financial gap by being savvier than the rest, but instead he has a very basic approach looking inly in the inflated English market. He has shown again this summer that he hinders rather than helps us. Capable as an English scout but nothing more. I don't think he will be the man to develop us back into an established prem side again, unless he has a road of damascus moment.
Boing Boing

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »
The owners need to back us, an extra 15 million keeps us up imo. If they don’t do it then they lose £50million next year alone, it is bonkers what we are doing.

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 09:05:20 PM »
No one has mentioned Ken yet what’s his input , what’s he upto ? We need leadership .

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2020, 06:18:31 PM »

We did not have to spend money signing last years loan players, except Pereira. The money for him came out of last years budget, so we can discount that.

We didn't have to sign Diangana or Robinson. In fact, the money we used for Diangana might have been used for two cheaper players who might contribute more over the season.

It is far from an impossible job, he is just making it look difficult by making obvious signings from the English leagues, which don't improve us that much.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
It is far from an impossible job, he is just making it look difficult by making obvious signings from the English leagues, which don't improve us that much.

Literally typed whilst we are in discussions with Rennes to sign Niang as reported by Alan Nixon today. Comical.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2020, 06:24:16 PM »
The posts on here slagging Dowling off whilst the transfer window is still open are pathetic. Last summer was an unmitigated success which led to promotion. This summer the recruitment is still ongoing. The earliest time to judge is once the window has closed (arguably through once the players in have succeeded or failed months later). Albeit the pro's and con's of whoever we have signed will need to be weighed up against our budget - which media reports have put at a pittance. All of the posts above slagging of our recruitment mid transfer window are are beyond an embarrassment.

I'm sorry, but I can't leave this one alone. Last Summer was not an unmitigated success:

Zohore - poor signing
Ajayi - decent first season
Furlong - in and out the team, still potential
Sawyers - decent first season, looks lacking at this level for his position
Austin - obviously shot-it, which people on this forum called before the transfer went through
Al-Habsi - didn't play
Grosicki - decent player, hasn't had a run yet
Peltier - what's the point of this one again?
Krovinovic - Bilic signing, decent but didn't make a position his own
Diangana - good season, came through Bilic's Hammers contacts
Pereira - good season, again seems to have come from Bilic
Willock - waste of time
Robinson - good initially, poor after the restart

Just because we got promotion doesn't mean everything was fine.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2020, 06:25:53 PM »
Literally typed whilst we are in discussions with Rennes to sign Niang as reported by Alan Nixon today. Comical.

How many players has he signed from the English leagues? How many of our foreign signings have come off Bilic or his contacts?

We're only looking abroad now because Grant / Gray / Deeney are proving too expensive for us.

We might not even be signing him, we might just be showing Huddersfield we have other options.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2020, 06:26:49 PM »

We know Niang from his Watford days. This is not an unknown from a foreign league.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
We know Niang from his Watford days. This is not an unknown from a foreign league.

So not only should we be trying not to sign players domestically we should also be avoiding them if they have ever played in the EPL.

Let’s demand an unknown from Kazakhstan.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2020, 06:35:36 PM »
How many players has he signed from the English leagues? How many of our foreign signings have come off Bilic or his contacts?

We're only looking abroad now because Grant / Gray / Deeney are proving too expensive for us.

We might not even be signing him, we might just be showing Huddersfield we have other options.

I take that as a concession that you don’t actually know who we are scouting or which players are our number one targets.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
So not only should we be trying not to sign players domestically we should also be avoiding them if they have ever played in the EPL.

There is little value for money domestically, either in terms of wages or transfer fees.

If we can scout a better player abroad for a lower cost, then it behooves us to get the most return for our investment.

We were paying Austin £50k a week last season. We could probably have gone abroad and found a striker who would have scored more, and might even have been able to step-up to the Premier League, and be paying him less.

Good value is where you can find it, and we shouldn't be limiting ourselves either way.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »

Very odd take away from what I said...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
There is little value for money domestically, either in terms of wages or transfer fees.

If we can scout a better player abroad for a lower cost, then it behooves us to get the most return for our investment.

We were paying Austin £50k a week last season. We could probably have gone abroad and found a striker who would have scored more, and might even have been able to step-up to the Premier League, and be paying him less.

Good value is where you can find it, and we shouldn't be limiting ourselves either way.

Even Bielsa at Leeds for last two seasons couldn’t find anyone better than Bamford to lead their attack out of the championship. I don’t recall any strikers last season that were unknown ripping apart the championship. If only it were so easy.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
I take that as a concession that you don’t actually know who we are scouting or which players are our number one targets.

This is a bizarre assertion. Nobody can know unless they're in the player recruitment meetings.

What we do know is that Dowling favours signing players who are already based domestically. We know that in terms of who we've signed and who we've been linked with, over the period since he has been at the club.

If we had looked abroad more, we would probably have signed more foreign players.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2020, 06:42:19 PM »
Even Bielsa at Leeds for last two seasons couldn’t find anyone better than Bamford to lead their attack out of the championship. I don’t recall any strikers last season that were unknown ripping apart the championship. If only it were so easy.
Bloody good point, even the B6 bin dippers with money to burn have gone to Brentford rather 5han the previous European shopping trips.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2020, 06:47:26 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't leave this one alone. Last Summer was not an unmitigated success:

Zohore - poor signing
Ajayi - decent first season
Furlong - in and out the team, still potential
Sawyers - decent first season, looks lacking at this level for his position
Austin - obviously shot-it, which people on this forum called before the transfer went through
Al-Habsi - didn't play
Grosicki - decent player, hasn't had a run yet
Peltier - what's the point of this one again?
Krovinovic - Bilic signing, decent but didn't make a position his own
Diangana - good season, came through Bilic's Hammers contacts
Pereira - good season, again seems to have come from Bilic
Willock - waste of time
Robinson - good initially, poor after the restart

Just because we got promotion doesn't mean everything was fine.

Well said. 👏🏻