Poll

How would you rate Luke Dowlings tenure to date (26 may 2021)

Roaring success, we'll be lucky to keep him
2 (1.8%)
Doing well given the limitations he has to work under
9 (8.1%)
Ok
16 (14.4%)
Poor, could be doing better overall
49 (44.1%)
Abject, needs to be fired or walk,
35 (31.5%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: June 05, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Luke Dowling  (Read 60830 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Luke Dowling
« Reply #1025 on: June 15, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »
Signing Zohore on 4 year contract should of seen the end of this bloke, Jenkins leaving exposed him to owner.

Is that how you think the club should manage the position of director of football, i.e. sack whoever the DOF is every time we sign a striker for a few million that is a failure? How many DOF do you think we would be hiring and firing on that basis?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1026 on: June 15, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »
Is that how you think the club should manage the position of director of football, i.e. sack whoever the DOF is every time we sign a striker for a few million that is a failure? How many DOF do you think we would be hiring and firing on that basis?

Taking him very literally there. He's just saying that was a terrible terrible decision, one of many and possibly the last he should have been allowed to do.

Pretty certain it does not translate as every time a DOF makes a bad decision they should be fired.

The take away for me is what Paulosull said regarding Jenkins and is probably pretty bang on, and that's no credit to Jenkins.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

OhBilics

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1027 on: June 15, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
Is that how you think the club should manage the position of director of football, i.e. sack whoever the DOF is every time we sign a striker for a few million that is a failure?
I think it could be argued that every time a DoF signs Kenneth Zohore they should be fired!

Tony Goddens Gloves

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1028 on: June 15, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »
Sounds like a lot went on behind the scenes

This should have been the headline the day he got the job.

CHAOS REIGNS

Stephen Hopcroft
@SteveHopcroft
·
10h
Actually I would say in hindsight this is harsh on Luke.
He made decisions that I & a lot of others did not agree with & the consequences are that most of those people left the club.
He had a job to do & he made decisions that I disagreed with however he was the boss at the time

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2021, 12:21:01 AM »
Sounds like a lot went on behind the scenes

This should have been the headline the day he got the job.

CHAOS REIGNS

Stephen Hopcroft
@SteveHopcroft
·
10h
Actually I would say in hindsight this is harsh on Luke.
He made decisions that I & a lot of others did not agree with & the consequences are that most of those people left the club.
He had a job to do & he made decisions that I disagreed with however he was the boss at the time
Steve Hopcroft at the time went to Premier league club with Seals, his comments come across to me as what took you so long Albion? Dowling should have been working to strengthen first team in areas that a blind man and his dog could see were deficient. After that he could of looked at youth set up, looks from his outburst that Luke was like a bull in a China shop damming indictment from a former respected employ of club.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:24:10 AM by paulosull »

hardtobeat

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1030 on: June 16, 2021, 08:11:50 AM »
It can also be interpreted as sour grapes from someone with a grudge!
Don't know which side I'm on with that but I would have to ask why wait so long before saying anything and why tweet something like that at around midnight ?.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1031 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
I’d say Hopcrofts first post is what he really thought, and his second is probably a bit of professionalism, pragmatism and disappointment in himself that he stooped to the level of airing his feelings on Twitter.

The first reaction speaks far louder than the second.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1032 on: June 16, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
I’d say Hopcrofts first post is what he really thought, and his second is probably a bit of professionalism, pragmatism and disappointment in himself that he stooped to the level of airing his feelings on Twitter.

The first reaction speaks far louder than the second.
What did his first post say mate?

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
What did his first post say mate?

It was the 'Chaos Reigns' photo and the descriptor that it could have been attached at Luke's appointment (I think).
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1034 on: June 16, 2021, 09:36:21 AM »
It was the 'Chaos Reigns' photo and the descriptor that it could have been attached at Luke's appointment (I think).
Cheers Dan. Backs up the rumour that he's not well liked. especially with his attitude towards the academy.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1035 on: June 16, 2021, 10:19:32 AM »
Cheers Dan. Backs up the rumour that he's not well liked. especially with his attitude towards the academy.

It would be ironic (and quite possibly unlikely) if it transpires Luke Dowling was actually the glue that was holding everything together  :-X .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1036 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:42 AM »
It would be ironic (and quite possibly unlikely) if it transpires Luke Dowling was actually the glue that was holding everything together  :-X .
Like rust? You start picking at it and it just turns into a great big hole  :(
As any mechanic will tell you though, it's the only way to fix it long term, anything else is just short term cosmetics.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: June 16, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
I think it could be argued that every time a DoF signs Kenneth Zohore they should be fired!

Jailed, more like.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:38:31 AM by PartisanBaggie »

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1038 on: June 16, 2021, 02:43:07 PM »
Hopcroft should pipe down.  Maybe he isn't whiter than white, especially when it comes to matters of young players leaving for foreign shores only to end up locally 6 months later.
"This crack is really moreish."

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1039 on: June 16, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
Hopcroft should pipe down.  Maybe he isn't whiter than white, especially when it comes to matters of young players leaving for foreign shores only to end up locally 6 months later.

Have no idea and even less proof, but is it possible Hopcroft already had his move pencilled in before the young players were allowed to move???

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1040 on: June 17, 2021, 08:39:13 PM »

Hopcroft was still with us when Barry signed for Villa.

Mark Harrison is the one involved in the Barry saga.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1041 on: June 28, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »
Easily manipulated I think best describes Luke. I honestly think he is a decent bloke, did his best but exposed when Jenkins left.
See todays post in the Matheus Pereira thread
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 06:24:07 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride