Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 13274 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

What have we learned?
« on: June 20, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
I've watched the 2 games today. There was absolutely no intensity to either game. The PL has been the same.

These last 8 games look like they're going to be played at nearly walking pace. That brings Brunt and Barry back into the equation. Their knowhow and nouse has to be employed in this crucial period. For neither to be on the bench was a poor oversight.

Today we had 12 corners and several freekicks, the delivery was awful. We have to take advantage of these crucial game situations. This surely brings Brunt back into the equation even more.

We can get through this period of games without the soldiers. Without the battering ram. Put out the 11 most technical players. Headless chickens like Edwards and Zohore simply not required. Where was Grosicki?

Be interested to hear what others thought of the new Championship normal.

Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

JMullen95

• Youth Baggie

Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »
I know what you mean, the games seem so slow.

Having said that, I don’t think you can use that as an excuse for today. The team selection and in-game management with substitutions were dreadful.

I’ve seen a lot of criticism directed at HRK, Robinson and Phillips (probably quite rightly), but Livermore was absolutely pants again. I dread to think what his pass percentage must have been.

Full backs a lot deeper than usual. Pereira seemed to be at his most dangerous when drifting into wide areas.

Seemed Bilic’s solution was to make like-for-like substitutions - should we be promoted he’ll need to be much more innovative.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:58 PM »
I learned that

-Grosicki needs to be ahead of Edwards.
-This back line will be fine.
-Diangana needs to start, ahead of Phillips or shifting Robinson up top with HRK to the bench.
-Need a plan b on formation which Austin & HRK off the bench could give us.
-Brunt off the bench I agree with as if we're getting plenty of set-pieces he's invaluable!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 06:34:03 PM »
I’ve learned that people need to relax a little and understand it’s the first game back in weird circumstances.
I’ve learned that Jacko will even admit that the zimmerframe midfielders are just that, if it means he can shoehorn brunt in the team 😀
I’ve learnt we had a clean sheet, we extended our points lead and another game has been played.

I also learned that sky noise was like torture and we do need a goal (3 in the league without scoring)
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 06:39:25 PM »
I've learned nothing that I didnt already know. I know what our best team is (with the exception of Robinson/Diangana/Grosicky), shame Slaven clearly doesnt.

This "rusty" stuff and "empty stadium" stuff are nothing more than excuses.

We have won 8 games out of 19 at home. That isnt a new problem, it's one that has been going on all season.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
I've learned nothing that I didnt already know. I know what our best team is (with the exception of Robinson/Diangana/Grosicky), shame Slaven clearly doesnt.

We have won 8 games out of 19 at home. That isnt a new problem, it's one that has been going on all season.
So why was the assumption that we would now turn that home form around?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 06:49:54 PM »
So why was the assumption that we would now turn that home form around?

Because with Diangana returning and Grosicky joining we now have the quality in wide areas to open teams up even late on in games.. it will only happen if the rest of the team is set up right though.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:01:43 PM »
I learned that

-Diangana needs to start, ahead of Phillips or shifting Robinson up top with HRK to the bench.
-Brunt off the bench I agree with as if we're getting plenty of set-pieces he's invaluable!

I'd really like to see Robinson up top. He lacked quality today, but his runs were far better than Kanu's.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 07:25:14 PM »
I'd really like to see Robinson up top. He lacked quality today, but his runs were far better than Kanu's.

I like Kanu. He never shirks, he's strong and he brings people into the game and there are times where he's a real asset, however today we didnt need him. After about five mins it was obvious what the pattern of the game was going to be, we didnt need back to the goal striker we needed a fox in the box. Austin should have been on before half time.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 07:52:25 PM »
That Football is being overhyped with no crowds it looks flat stop with these artificial crowd noises I can see the Stadium is empty so why make it sound like the crowd is there
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 07:58:31 PM »
That Football is being overhyped with no crowds it looks flat stop with these artificial crowd noises I can see the Stadium is empty so why make it sound like the crowd is there
So that those that are easily offended don’t hear swearing. Thus saving the commentators having to apologise to us all the time.  ;)
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »
Brunt and Barry? No thanks, absolutely not. We will get better and won’t always be against teams whose sole intent is to nick a point. Diangana for Phillips is the only change I’d make to the starting line up for next game.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »

If you know what our best team is, why are you not a top manager?
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 08:57:57 PM »
I learned that

We don’t possess much of an aerial threat from set pieces as we used to. Not sure Brunt taking them would make much difference. Pereira put in a couple of great ball today but nobody anticipated.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
We don’t possess much of an aerial threat from set pieces as we used to. Not sure Brunt taking them would make much difference. Pereira put in a couple of great ball today but nobody anticipated.
I was dreaming of the Brunt/MacAuley double act every time we got a corner

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2020, 11:23:31 PM »
We have learnt nothing. We were ineffectual. No ideas and no desire.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »
I learned that we now have 8 games left.
I learned that we are now 7 points clear of 3rd place.
Not the 9 points clear as we all wanted.
But we have strengthened our position
I learned that we are top of the league.
That's good enough for me.
Just keep adding to our points total.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 02:37:00 AM »
I've learned football's a lot more boring than I remember it being. We've gone for the Now TV thingy and as such I've watched a lot of games in a relatively short period of time. Really hope it's just the pre season feel to things. Otherwise I've wasted so much time and money on a sport and pass time that's actually a bit pants. Bugger.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 05:09:04 AM »
Nothing positive!
I always knew that football was about travelling every matchday, meeting up with friends,couple of pints, bit of food, picking the team before it was announced, etc,etc. The so-called "matchday-experience".
Had been to every game this season except Fulham away, and for me this was bloody torture. Sitting at home, watching the clock go round , and when the time comes I-Follow ..................................................
The powers that be decided that for money reasons only the show must go on. Well from what I have seen so far, what with slow motion football, drinks breaks,wiping down goalposts, some people wearing masks,while others are embracing, spitting, clearing noses.
Without us this game is nothing.
@@@@ SKY TV.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:39:33 AM by iwastherein68 »
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2020, 07:01:34 AM »
The year could 2040 and Jacko would still be trying to get Brunt in.  ;D

I’m all for giving him a go in his last season but only when we’ve secured promotion.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
I've watched the 2 games today. There was absolutely no intensity to either game. The PL has been the same.

These last 8 games look like they're going to be played at nearly walking pace. That brings Brunt and Barry back into the equation. Their knowhow and nouse has to be employed in this crucial period. For neither to be on the bench was a poor oversight.

Today we had 12 corners and several freekicks, the delivery was awful. We have to take advantage of these crucial game situations. This surely brings Brunt back into the equation even more.

We can get through this period of games without the soldiers. Without the battering ram. Put out the 11 most technical players. Headless chickens like Edwards and Zohore simply not required. Where was Grosicki?

Be interested to hear what others thought of the new Championship normal.

Yep totally agree. I was personally itching for some live sport returning but after 10 minutes of the Villa Sheff Utd game I’d stopped really watching. Without the controversial goal line incident (which was an absolute farce by the way) I can’t recall anything else that happened in the game. I also had to turn off the comical artificial crowd noise that was about 5 seconds behind the game.

I think if nothing else this highlights just how much pull Sky has over football and sports. There clearly isn’t much sporting benefit of these games going ahead and we could have quite easily ended the season as they’ve done in the other leagues. There is seems a certain air of going through the motions by the players and managers from what I’ve seen. But obviously Sky wanted to be able to charge for their services again and have done everything they can to rush football back.

Seems to me as though it’s got the atmosphere, pace and intensity as if it’s the 94th minute the entire game. I’m not sure how you’d fix this, as it’s been the same in every game I watch.

Oh and I’m bored of the commentators spending most of the game talking about how things are different at the moment. Yes, we get it, there aren’t any fans and the preparations are different.

I do think however that there are some things that we could utilise better. Having 5 subs for example gives us more options to try something a bit different. Also taking advantage of the slower pace with options such as Brunt wouldn’t be the worst idea, especially as we had so many corners and free kicks yesterday which were shocking.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2020, 08:39:56 AM »
I’ve learned that certain teams will park the bus against us.
I’ve learned that we don’t know how to break them down.
Other teams won’t park the bus and that could play into our hands. Maybe. Or we’ll take a hiding which strangely enough we may need right now to give us the kick up the ar$e that we obviously need.
I’ve learned that the new normal isn’t exclusively frustrating to Albion, judging by other performances I’ve seen.
Most of all I’ve learned how important the fans are in the stadium. After the anticipation and excitement of finally getting to see Albion again, last night was the dampest wettest fart of a game, with the lack of atmosphere clearly affecting the performance in the final third of the pitch. Without the fans in situ, the game is lifeless and soulless, whether it’s Man U v Tottenham or Albion vs Blues.

Baggie Down Under 🙃

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »

How can rusty not be an excuse? It’s THE excuse for me

No flow to the game, lacking match sharpness is exactly the excuse and cause of the rustiness. That was plain to see
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »

No flow to the game, lacking match sharpness is exactly the excuse and cause of the rustiness. That was plain to see

Maybe. Or do the Wigan and Swansea matches suggest the problems were there before there before the break?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »

Brighton were rusty, Wolves were rusty, Swansea were rusty, Derby were rusty etc.

As I say we have had the same problem all season at home to teams that defend deep. We are too slow in our play, we have players that like too many touches in possession and our shooting from range is mostly atrocious. Livermore and Krovinovic probably best at it and Bilic leaves Krovinovic out, which was a ridiculous decision.

The day before the game Bilic said "We couldn't be any better" before the restart.

After the game he claimed we were rusty. Which one is it Slaven?

He also claimed we should have won. No, we didnt do enough. The best chance of the match fell to Hogan who should have buried that header.