Poll

Will you be taking up your option of receiving the Covid vaccine.

Yes
90 (86.5%)
No
11 (10.6%)
Undecided
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1197848 times)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #350 on: March 17, 2020, 05:32:48 PM »

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The impact of this and the recovery from it will take years and Boris will get the blame from some regardless of how he handles it.
The buck stops at the top man's desk, that's the way it is.  He's always seen himself as a Prime Minister in waiting, so now he has to play up, no getting away with carefree Latin burblings or cheery bluster now.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #351 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:33 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "the EU" here.  What stops individual countries from helping?

"The EU Is Abandoning Italy in Its Hour of Need"

Source: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-eu-abandoning-italy-china-aid/
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #352 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:41 PM »
The buck stops at the top man's desk, that's the way it is.  He's always seen himself as a Prime Minister in waiting, so now he has to play up, no getting away with carefree Latin burblings or cheery bluster now.

He's has just stood in front of the National and International MSM and said "The buck stops here" What more do you want him to say and do than he is not already doing and done?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #353 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:10 PM »
Havnt heard a whisper from any of the
 utilities to help out its customers,have you?
They're only interested in robbing us with their extortionate charges.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #354 on: March 17, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
He's has just stood in front of the National and International MSM and said "The buck stops here" What more do you want him to say and do than he is not already doing and done?
It wasn't really a pop at Boris, I'm no great fan, but for what its worth I think he's on about 7/10 so far.  Now he has a real chance over the coming months  to show he is actually a statesman of substance not the shallow media creation many accuse him of being.  We shall see.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "the EU" here.  What stops individual countries from helping?

Serbia officially applied for European Union membership on 22 December 2009. Accession negotiations are currently ongoing. ... It is one of five current EU candidate countries, together with Albania, Montenegro, North Macedonia, and Turkey.

This is the EU in 2020. After forcing countries to buy from members, it turns its back in time of need.

https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/1239716613483425797
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »
"The EU Is Abandoning Italy in Its Hour of Need"

Source: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/14/coronavirus-eu-abandoning-italy-china-aid/

I mean, the first line says...
"fellow countries in the European Union".  And if you read the article it says that countries haven't come forward with supplies.  It also points out the UK hasn't helped.

This isn't a failure of the EU, it's a failure of individual countries.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #357 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »
They have just slapped a massive fine on Italy for failing to recover state aid.

Imagine that, a country trying to survive a epidemic that has wiped out thousands and the EU find it fitting to drop a fine on them.

Priorities eh?

Just goes to show what trash they are. Disgusting!

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #358 on: March 17, 2020, 06:20:19 PM »
Excellent from Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson

-Government backed and guaranteed loans of £330bn to support companies

-A potential support package specifically for airlines and airports

- A three-month mortgage payment holiday for homeowners

-£10,000 cash grants for smaller firms

-An extension of the business rate holiday announced in the Budget

Further proposals to be announced in the coming days
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #359 on: March 17, 2020, 06:27:45 PM »
"fellow countries in the European Union".  And if you read the article it says that countries haven't come forward with supplies.  It also points out the UK hasn't helped.

We no longer have a responsibility to the EU, thankfully. But surely the 27 members of that club have a responsibility to each other, otherwise what is the point of an EU?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #360 on: March 17, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »

"In contrast to China, Italy's partners in the European Union earlier this month refused Rome's requests for help with medical supplies as they looked to stockpile face masks and other equipment to help their own citizens."

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/china-sends-essential-coronavirus-supplies-italy-200313195241031.html

There's more if you want it
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #361 on: March 17, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

A grand Keynesian expansion, it is exactly what we need.  Sunak=future PM?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #362 on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:17 PM »
"In contrast to China, Italy's partners in the European Union earlier this month refused Rome's requests for help with medical supplies as they looked to stockpile face masks and other equipment to help their own citizens."

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/china-sends-essential-coronavirus-supplies-italy-200313195241031.html

There's more if you want it

I literally said just that.  Like I said this is a failure of individual countries not "the EU".  Do you not see the difference?  At any point, any country can offer emergency aid to another country.  The EU isn't stopping it.  Just as we haven't helped, France etc hasn't helped.  We should all be helping each other should we not?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #363 on: March 17, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »
We no longer have a responsibility to the EU, thankfully. But surely the 27 members of that club have a responsibility to each other, otherwise what is the point of an EU?

I wouldn't say our default position should be not to help.  If you think that's the case then you'd have to expect other countries not to help us if we need it.  In fact, you'd have to say not many countries would help other ones. I think you've just made a good case for joining the something like the EU.

I do agree that other countries, especially those in the EU, should help.  The problem there is what do you think the public would say if you sent a load of equipment that your own country requires?

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:18 PM »

I literally said just that.  Like I said this is a failure of individual countries not "the EU".  Do you not see the difference?  At any point, any country can offer emergency aid to another country.  The EU isn't stopping it.  Just as we haven't helped, France etc hasn't helped.  We should all be helping each other should we not?

Forgive me, but aren’t the EU and it’s member states one in the same?

And would you want to be in a club of 27 that 26 members of its refuse to help when you need it and the governing body of that club also refuse to intervene?

It would be like England refusing to help NI, Scotland or Wales, we would offer every possible assistance as we are a United, obviously the Union is not United.

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2020, 07:46:13 PM »
I wouldn't say our default position should be not to help.  If you think that's the case then you'd have to expect other countries not to help us if we need it.  In fact, you'd have to say not many countries would help other ones. I think you've just made a good case for joining the something like the EU.

I do agree that other countries, especially those in the EU, should help.  The problem there is what do you think the public would say if you sent a load of equipment that your own country requires?

I think you don’t get the Superstate objective and have made a good case why we were right to leave
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
I think you don’t get the Superstate objective and have made a good case why we were right to leave

So on one hand you think countries in a bloc should come together in times of crisis to help each other...

You also think that countries outside that bloc have no obligation to help, and therefore no right to be helped in times of crisis...

And you think you're not making the argument that countries are better off together?  Err... OK..  ;D

This is getting off topic anyway, so to bring it back around. 

Yes, countries should be doing more to help each other. 
No, being outside the bloc shouldn't be a reason for other countries not to help.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
Anyway, here's a website that has a decent amount of Albion games (and others) you can watch for free...

https://footballia.net/teams/west-bromwich-albion

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:20 PM »

I have a lot of respect and faith in the boys at the top table.
Been outstanding so far , markets have rallied, there is talk of tests starting on the clinical antidote.....
It feels like we may just have done things the right way...
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2020, 09:11:30 PM »
So on one hand you think countries in a bloc should come together in times of crisis to help each other...

You also think that countries outside that bloc have no obligation to help, and therefore no right to be helped in times of crisis...

And you think you're not making the argument that countries are better off together?  Err... OK..  ;D

This is getting off topic anyway, so to bring it back around. 

Yes, countries should be doing more to help each other. 
No, being outside the bloc shouldn't be a reason for other countries not to help.

You said it was the individual countries that weren’t helping Italy, not the EU, then you say they should themselves be helped by others?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2020, 09:13:30 PM »
Anyway, here's a website that has a decent amount of Albion games (and others) you can watch for free...

https://footballia.net/teams/west-bromwich-albion

Thank you for the link, I’ll added it to my growing list of things to do and watch. I’m sure I’ll make good use of them during my term of confinement  :)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2020, 10:12:35 PM »
Gents, remember this is a thread about the Coronavirus, not the EU.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
A grand Keynesian expansion, it is exactly what we need.  Sunak=future PM?

Hardly, an inevitable attempt to prevent a huge contraction.
Baggie in Southampton

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2020, 10:47:39 PM »
Boris may tell people to keep out of pubs but unless he shuts them down people will still use them.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »
Boris may tell people to keep out of pubs but unless he shuts them down people will still use them.
And why not?
Alcohol kills bacteria and viruses.
That's my excuse, anyway.  ::)