Author Topic: Grady Diangana  (Read 272231 times)

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Grady Diangana
« Reply #1050 on: December 05, 2021, 07:41:07 AM »
Got lots of space in his favourite wide areas vs Coventry but didn't ever deliver an end product. Really concerned that we will never get Diangana back firing, his performances are a concern.
His head dropped quite early and his body language, with occasional shakes of the head, led to him eventually trudging off after the inevitable hooking. Was he limping? Possibly, but the real injury needing some radical treatment is between his ears and I really hope he gets the help he needs to sort himself out
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: December 05, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
His head dropped quite early and his body language, with occasional shakes of the head, led to him eventually trudging off after the inevitable hooking. Was he limping? Possibly, but the real injury needing some radical treatment is between his ears and I really hope he gets the help he needs to sort himself out

Spot on.  His body language after he got hooked against Forest and had to walk around the pitch from the far side spoke volumes.  It seems a huge loss of confidence.  He almost now appears to be trying too hard and just nothing is working for him.  Might be a chance of scenery needed to get his confidence back but right now he’s really not worth a place in the starting XI.   Very sad to see.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1052 on: December 05, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »
This guy's career is on a downward trajectory. Something has been very wrong since his injury. He needs to get himself in with a sports shrink I think

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1053 on: December 05, 2021, 09:39:22 AM »
It probably doesn't help that his best performances for both us and West Ham came as an out and out wingers, being supplied by a play maker. Now he is playing as one of a front 3 and in reality is a forward.

It doesn't explain everything, but being played put of position doesn't seem to suit him. While it might not happen here, I wouldn't be shocked to see him do well as a winger at somewhere like Stoke or Cardiff in a few years time. He just can't create something from nothing - Pereira aided his game to a large extent in his first year here.
Boing Boing

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: December 05, 2021, 10:31:09 AM »
He shouldn’t be playing on the right wing he’s a left winger all day long and he needs grass in front of him to bring out his best. Simple solution would be to stick him on the left Grant through the middle and Robinson on right, the inverted wingers Val insists on using is fine if you have players that are happy to use both feet but we haven’t  got these in the squad.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:33:00 AM by paulosull »

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1055 on: December 05, 2021, 11:04:35 AM »
He is nowhere near the Diangana of old - the Diangana of old when squared up against a full back would have a few fancy flicks to beat the opponent. We’re not even getting that now. He looks petrified to take on a man and looks rather weak.

Given the money we’ve invested in him, we have to try and improve his game and get him back to the levels he reached previously but it looks to me like these consecutive injuries have really affected both his confidence and ability.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: December 05, 2021, 01:21:47 PM »
I would like to see him in a 10 position, he's fast and trick and has a good powerful shot

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: December 05, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »
He is nowhere near the Diangana of old - the Diangana of old when squared up against a full back would have a few fancy flicks to beat the opponent. We’re not even getting that now. He looks petrified to take on a man and looks rather weak.

Given the money we’ve invested in him, we have to try and improve his game and get him back to the levels he reached previously but it looks to me like these consecutive injuries have really affected both his confidence and ability.
only way he is going to improve is play him in his best position and give him a run of games and minutes to get his confidence back, then we might see the player we had under Slavic.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1058 on: December 05, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »
only way he is going to improve is play him in his best position and give him a run of games and minutes to get his confidence back, then we might see the player we had under Slavic.

I might be imagining it but i'm sure he said he wants to play on the right from now on?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1059 on: December 05, 2021, 06:41:10 PM »
I might be imagining it but i'm sure he said he wants to play on the right from now on?

I've seen people say that but not seen anything reported.  Clearly the left side is more natural to him so could it be "play right side or not at all"?

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: December 05, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »

He played mainly on the right during is first season under Bilic, and said at the time he preferred the right
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1061 on: December 05, 2021, 07:24:30 PM »
I think he was sold the "return of the 3 amigos" narrative, and may have serious regrets.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1062 on: December 05, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
He played mainly on the right during is first season under Bilic, and said at the time he preferred the right

Are you sure? As far as I remember, Most his big moments that season seemed to be from the left.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/grady-diangana/leistungsdaten/spieler/342048/plus/0?saison=2019

The above has him recorded as on the left 90% of the time too.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1063 on: December 05, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »
I think he was sold the "return of the 3 amigos" narrative, and may have serious regrets.

Thing is no ones going to pay £12m for him or offer him the wages we have so he needs to pull his thumb out his mouth.

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1064 on: December 05, 2021, 09:42:06 PM »
this lad should be ripping up the championship so far been a below average . no one would be interested in signing him on current form .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1065 on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
We wouldnt get half our money back as it stands

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1066 on: December 06, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
Thing is no ones going to pay £12m for him or offer him the wages we have so he needs to pull his thumb out his mouth.
I agree, but even if only to protect the investment he looks like he needs a bit of support, mentoring whatever.  Or maybe he could go meditating with Raheem Sterling

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1067 on: December 06, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
Biggest dissapointment going.

Where has the Grady of the Bilic era gone? The one that went past people like they weren't there.

The one who could dribble past 3 or 4 players and create something.

We all know the player is there it would just be nice to see him appear again.

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1068 on: December 06, 2021, 10:13:02 AM »

Where has the Grady of the Bilic era gone? The one that went past people like they weren't there.

He's still here. He's just playing in different areas of the pitch to when Bilic was around and he's having to do it without a play maker. He's currenly limping without a crutch. The talent and technique are still there. The difference now is he's being expected to do more for himself.

We won't be seeing the 'old' Grady until the new one turns up having taken responsibility for his own game. He can shake his head in frustration as much as he likes. Shaking his head won't improve his output, putting it back on may help though. Time to poo or get off the potty and give someone else a turn.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1069 on: December 06, 2021, 01:03:51 PM »

Certainly not at you….there were many posts I could have replied to , yours was just the first

Re Diangana
Yes it’s apparent that he isn’t where he was 3 years ago…but there is a sizeable list of potential whys?

We all go to work and are expected to do our job regardless , but when the boss is changed and your best mate work colleagues leave…..it’s not the same?
Then you get moved from where you normally work to down the road, similar but still different .
Then you realise that when you were last at work the fan base was a pretty happy gathering…whereas now “unsure” would be polite
Then there is the injury and after having such a good time previously, the 6’3’ cloggers of Cardiff and such like, may have a word early …

I hope he still comes through, but every now and then a footballer drops in to an in recoverable decline, let’s keep our fingers crossed.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1070 on: February 01, 2022, 02:24:20 PM »
Mark Noble confirms Grady told him he did not want to come here.

46:23 mins in it begins.

https://youtu.be/BJq0Qz-Jjnc

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1071 on: February 01, 2022, 02:55:44 PM »
I thought when we signed him he'd be a relatively risk free prospect in that even if he wasn't that good we'd still be able to get a decent chunk of our money back him and even if he did not hack the premier he'd be a big asset in the championship, but instead he's turned into some kind of Oliver Burke level signing where its increasingly looking like almost all that outlay would be lost.

Maybe in a new system he could be more productive and more confident, maybe he needs an arm round the shoulder type - which Ismael really doesn't seem like. But its concerning he's been a shadow for himself under 3 different managers now.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: February 01, 2022, 03:41:15 PM »
He was my MoM v Peter'bro , but lately he seems to crop up in midfield more than on the wing, and I don't think it suits him. He tries to go on little dribbles but just gets crowded out and knocked off the ball quite easily. Maybe his fault for trying to run through clusters of players, but I think he's much more effective as a winger, where he can take on one full back.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: February 01, 2022, 03:49:47 PM »
I think he needs decent players around him to be at his best so he can beat one man and then link up with someone else as he used to with Pereira. He hasn't got the pace or strength of a Harvey Barnes to cause havoc on his own.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1074 on: February 01, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
He was my MoM v Peter'bro , but lately he seems to crop up in midfield more than on the wing, and I don't think it suits him. He tries to go on little dribbles but just gets crowded out and knocked off the ball quite easily. Maybe his fault for trying to run through clusters of players, but I think he's much more effective as a winger, where he can take on one full back.

He drifts inside for two reasons...

1) he's told to play closer inside and play the passes inside with our tight and restricting formation with Valball as we try to smashmouth teams into submission for 60 mins until he makes his "impact (hahaha) sub"

2) Val keeps playing him on the right hand side when he is QUITE CLEARLY LEFT FOOTED and should be playing on the left...it means that whenever he does get the ball anywhere on the right hand side he has to constantly cut inside to use his left foot - Grady either plays on the left, or he doesnt play for me.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:35:10 PM by Dan87uk »
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty