Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487153 times)

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #2275 on: July 31, 2021, 09:42:38 AM »
Thing is Leicester and Brighton were offering Chilwell and White the spotlit stage and wages of the Premier League.  Buying clubs know that clubs in the EFL are bound to sell sooner or later. 

The way I see it, situation is
a. we hold out for >£25M and get a large fee but too late in the window when the players that we are looking at are gone and we're left with a load of money (maybe taxable, I don't know WBA's accounting year, or maybe set against losses of previous years)

b. We hold on and don't sell him.  Then there's the strong possibility that he becomes sulky, does not train sufficiently; gets himself sent off for a rest or by precedent do an Evans, a Berahino or an Odemwingie on us.

c. We sell him early in the window (preferably overseas) for ~£25M and use the money to strengthen.

Re option A there is hardly any money about.  There will still be plenty of deals to be done on deadline day if we have cash.  We just need enough time to do those deals if Pereira is sold too late.

And the knock-on is that we suddenly sign several players then we will urgently need to ship out several young players on loan as they won't be needed for the first team squad.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2276 on: July 31, 2021, 10:19:22 AM »
I’m still hanging on to the dream that he stays with us, gets us up, chooses to sign a ten year contract and takes us into Europe.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2277 on: July 31, 2021, 11:20:13 AM »
West Ham prefer a loan move with an option to buy but WBA wish to sell. The club are currently in negotiations with this and we have competition from other clubs. We are considering going back in with a £15m cash offer.” From ExWHU

£15m - are they having a laugh. That is an insult to the guy.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2278 on: July 31, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »
West Ham prefer a loan move with an option to buy but WBA wish to sell. The club are currently in negotiations with this and we have competition from other clubs. We are considering going back in with a £15m cash offer.” From ExWHU

£15m - are they having a laugh. That is an insult to the guy.

That would be an appalling offer. Should be laughed out of town.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2279 on: July 31, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
This is a joke of a club run by idiots if we sell Matheus for anything less than £40 million. Billionaire owner your having a laugh.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2280 on: July 31, 2021, 11:51:38 AM »
You would think they would have asked the new manager if there will be a place in his system for our best player if he can't be sold but judging by the prices they are considering it seems not.

Bigrob80

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2281 on: July 31, 2021, 01:00:57 PM »
All I see about this matter is what I would class as ‘pub talk’ I doubt anyone knows exactly what is going on unless directly involved.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2282 on: July 31, 2021, 01:29:31 PM »
Thing is Leicester and Brighton were offering Chilwell and White the spotlit stage and wages of the Premier League.  Buying clubs know that clubs in the EFL are bound to sell sooner or later. 

The way I see it, situation is
a. we hold out for >£25M and get a large fee but too late in the window when the players that we are looking at are gone and we're left with a load of money (maybe taxable, I don't know WBA's accounting year, or maybe set against losses of previous years)

b. We hold on and don't sell him.  Then there's the strong possibility that he becomes sulky, does not train sufficiently; gets himself sent off for a rest or by precedent do an Evans, a Berahino or an Odemwingie on us.

c. We sell him early in the window (preferably overseas) for ~£25M and use the money to strengthen.

D. No one meets our valuation (circa £35 million) he gets his head down and gets us promoted, as there has been no sign of any dissent aside from selection issues throughout his career.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2283 on: July 31, 2021, 01:31:07 PM »
Why the valuation consensus is so low, I just don't understand.

I'm not part of this "consensus" but to answer your question I can only presume West Bromwich is part of Yorkshire.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2284 on: July 31, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
You would think they would have asked the new manager if there will be a place in his system for our best player if he can't be sold but judging by the prices they are considering it seems not.
Ha! You'd think, wouldn't you. I can only assume they'd already decided to sell MP before getting the new manager in (see "that" report in The Times relating to January). You'd still think they'd take into account the strengths or otherwise of the rest of the squad and appoint someone whose style they could easily fit into, but no, they appoint someone whose style is high-press, high-energy, and our squad haven't played a high-press and who've been so unfit over the last seasons that some of them are blowing after half an hour of a normal game. But hey, this is Albion, and joined up thinking doesn't seem to be a strong point of our board.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2285 on: July 31, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
Sadly it just seems their lack of vision and awareness of football related matters comes through again.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2286 on: July 31, 2021, 03:00:54 PM »
Ha! You'd think, wouldn't you. I can only assume they'd already decided to sell MP before getting the new manager in (see "that" report in The Times relating to January). You'd still think they'd take into account the strengths or otherwise of the rest of the squad and appoint someone whose style they could easily fit into, but no, they appoint someone whose style is high-press, high-energy, and our squad haven't played a high-press and who've been so unfit over the last seasons that some of them are blowing after half an hour of a normal game. But hey, this is Albion, and joined up thinking doesn't seem to be a strong point of our board.
Begs the question why VI took the job if we are such an ill fit. Is he just a mercenary then?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2287 on: July 31, 2021, 03:07:01 PM »
D. No one meets our valuation (circa £35 million) he gets his head down and gets us promoted, as there has been no sign of any dissent aside from selection issues throughout his career.

I agree with that, £35m would probably be my price too.

I think in a combination of desperation and Pereira’s desire to go we will do it for less though.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2288 on: July 31, 2021, 06:55:22 PM »
We may as well keep him for another season... I don't trust 'em.
Are you prepared to loan the club the 25-30m then?
If they agree to your demand of keeping him for another season?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2289 on: July 31, 2021, 08:37:44 PM »

Option D is where I’m at too.

£35million sounds about right for Pereira. I’d sooner he stayed on for another season though. That whole ‘keeping the nucleus of the team’ following previous relegations springs to mind.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2290 on: July 31, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
Are you prepared to loan the club the 25-30m then?
If they agree to your demand of keeping him for another season?

You are implying the club needs to sell Pereira to stay afloat, which is not the case. We are okay financially for this season and Pereira goals / assists could be the difference that gets us promoted back to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2291 on: July 31, 2021, 10:08:30 PM »
You are implying the club needs to sell Pereira to stay afloat, which is not the case. We are okay financially for this season and Pereira goals / assists could be the difference that gets us promoted back to the Premiership at the first time of asking.
I’m not
The only thing I’m implying is that people find it very easy to advise others on what to do with a 25m asset.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2292 on: August 01, 2021, 01:33:59 AM »
I’m not
The only thing I’m implying is that people find it very easy to advise others on what to do with a 25m asset.

£25m may get you his right foot, but not the left one.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2293 on: August 01, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »
He’s liking tweets about al hilal!

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2294 on: August 01, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »

If they're willing to pay me £135k a week as its being reported i'd do more than like a few tweets  :D

Not sure they have the money to pay what we're asking as their reported opening bids have been shockingly low from what i've seen.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2295 on: August 01, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »
If they're willing to pay me £135k a week as its being reported i'd do more than like a few tweets  :D

Not sure they have the money to pay what we're asking as their reported opening bids have been shockingly low from what i've seen.
Obviously, from a financial perspective, it’s a great move for him,  career wise though it is absolutely nuts
No good for us either as the fee would be too low, therefore, he may well like it but it shouldn’t happen.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2296 on: August 01, 2021, 06:07:53 PM »
Obviously, from a financial perspective, it’s a great move for him,  career wise though it is absolutely nuts
No good for us either as the fee would be too low, therefore, he may well like it but it shouldn’t happen.

This just proves exactly what's motivating him.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2297 on: August 01, 2021, 06:19:27 PM »

Disappointing if so because that deal mentioned in media is pretty useless to us considering the talent we are losing and the need to replace him and striker requirements.

BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2298 on: August 01, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »
If he goes to Al-Hilal he is a mug…

He can go, and go for the right price, but if he ends up their then he has no ambition at all

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2299 on: August 01, 2021, 06:44:38 PM »

can you provide a link, I can't find anything, he's posted or liked on twitter for some time
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?