Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487413 times)

timdon

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #1350 on: April 28, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »
Don't get me wrong, if we offer him a good deal maybe with something like a bumper promotion wage hike, and he stays that will be absolutely brilliant.  But if he makes it clear he wants out now, and we are getting good offers, then I think we should let him go. I think he's on a long contract, so a good offer in my book would be not much less than 25m, based on what Eze went for.
Yes, agree with this. If he wants to go, that's a different story, but no sign of that just yet. Money isn't the be all and end all for everyone. If he isn't the biggest earner once the current crop have departed, we should make sure he becomes the biggest earner, then at least we can genuinely feel that the club made a real effort to keep him.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1351 on: April 28, 2021, 07:57:52 PM »
But him staying and sulking would be no good to anyone, so sadly I think he'll be off.

Zaha at Palace has handed in multiple transfer requests for a few years now and threatened to go on strike, the Palace board stood their ground and guess what, ultimately he'd rather play football at Palace than not at all and it's worked for them. You don't just sell a player because he wants to leave.  I don't see why Periera would be so unhappy giving it 12 months in the championship again pushing for promotion with us. Besides, if we value him at £40m there aren't going to be many clubs able and willing to try to buy him.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1352 on: April 28, 2021, 08:44:53 PM »
Whilst I wouldn't be actively looking to sell, I do think we have to be realistic and learn the lessons from our past.

If the sale of Pereira enables us to revamp the side in several areas then it is something we will need to consider.

Our mistake previously was that we had a good core group of players (Mulumbu, Olsson, Dorrans, Morrison, Brunt, Long) for whom we kept far too long and who continued to depreciate in value. We then get left with a rather old bloated squad with no room to manoeuvre when it came to replacing them.

I'm a realist as well and would definitely put a price on him that we couldn't refuse, I think 18 mill is chicken feed when you consider how important he as become to us, and our recruitment in the summer,  where we spent the best part of 40 mill, didn't exactly fill me with confidence.
I would offer the kid a get out clause if we don't get promoted and if we do sell we must keep big Sam to overlook the transfers, either way it will be a massive loss to all of us who have only really watched him on tv of most of his West Brom career.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1353 on: May 02, 2021, 07:25:39 AM »
With that kind of defeatist attitude Crystal Palace would have sold Zaha a long time ago and then got relegated. MP is under a long term contract, we don’t have to sell.
A long time ago.....what if Man Utd had come in for him?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1354 on: May 02, 2021, 09:25:43 AM »
Difficult one , guess it's a case of wait and see what the offers are . For me he's improved under Allardyce and is at a decent level most weeks now  ,my gut feeling is if Allardyce stays he'll be intent on keeping Pereira for a quick return .
I'll like to see him sign a new deal on higher wages with a release at a fair price if we don't get back up at the first go .
The worst thought for me us cashing in and letting Dowling loose with the money :o
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1355 on: May 02, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »
Imagine the squad Dowling could assemble if left to his own devices with a fat pot of cash. Terrifying.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1356 on: May 02, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
Imagine the squad Dowling could assemble if left to his own devices with a fat pot of cash. Terrifying.
A squad that would smash Chelsea 5-2 ?
A squad that would achieve automatic promotion 1 year in to a 2 year target?
But this won’t fit the narrative

It is far to simple to say when it’s wrong it’s DOWLING and all the positives are fat Sam or players actually doing their jobs .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1357 on: May 02, 2021, 01:45:18 PM »

It is far to simple to say when it’s wrong it’s DOWLING and all the positives are fat Sam or players actually doing their jobs .

Based on the players Dowling signed and the players signed since Sams arrival i believe i am rightly worried with him spunking the money up the wall. It's not like we have it to burn.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1358 on: May 02, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »

Amen to that mate.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1359 on: May 02, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
MP went a long way backwards early on in Allardyce's  tenancy. It is only since Chelsea he has been played in the position we all knew he was at his most effective. Allardyce will no doubt claim the credit but had shunted him out wide to accommodate his own ideas, dropped him or took him off early in some games and amongst other things, seemed to be trying to his best to unsettle the player. He was forced to put him in the right place against Chelsea, and to give him some support around him, the rest is history.

Will Allardyce do the same again if he is in charge next season and will MP want to play for him? Will Dowling's better signings (such as they may be) be given a fair chance? Time will tell.

I would be bitterly disappointed if MP was sold, but would certainly understand if he wanted to try his luck at a decent Prem team should any want him and be prepared to fork out £20m or so. I do not mean vile or dingles who will only be there by the skin of their teeth anyway

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1360 on: May 02, 2021, 02:25:56 PM »

Well given Sam wanted AMN and Dowling won't shop in Europe ( Diange / Okay ) that pretty much rules out those three.
What we do know was buying Zohore and Grosiki when Bilic didn't want them really and rarely played them . Austin was Dowling lead and while yes we got up it was very short sighted as his legs had almost gone , he didn't really fit our style and was never going to hack the top flight . You can add big wages and a pay rise for getting up on that too .
Theres a long list of poor short term thinking / deals while he's been here , no argueing that .
Signing 3 players in Robinson , Grady and Grant all in the same window and all pretty much in the same position is beyond belief let alone how much was spent .
I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him .
This topic is Pereira , a Bilic signing so again lets not let that shine any glory on Dowling other than getting the deal done .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:33:36 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1361 on: May 02, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »

The narrative is the narrative because that's the way things are. Dowling has presided over a squad that has gotten worse with every window in terms of overall quality; Bilic did an amazing job to get that squad up, because it was nowhere near good enough. And yet all the best players last season came from Bilic and his contacts.

This season has been a mess, and he has to carry the can for that. Allardyce managed to bring in 4 players which were head and shoulders above most of what we've had all season. Dowling is ultimately in charge of recruitment, and it was his decision to bring back Diangana for a ridiculous fee.

So no, I wouldn't trust him with the money generated from selling Pereira.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1362 on: May 03, 2021, 09:57:14 PM »
Shoved out wider in the re-shuffle tonight and disappeared (IMO) has to stay central for the good of the team.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1363 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
Shoved out wider in the re-shuffle tonight and disappeared (IMO) has to stay central for the good of the team.

Should be first name on the team sheet and in his most influential role for me. 

Real shame we're not going to be able to give him the send off his deserves.

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1364 on: May 03, 2021, 11:20:30 PM »

Played out wide v Villa arguably best overall performance of the year? It’s how many times you get the ball to him in attacking areas with players to provide runs for him

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1365 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:21 PM »
Played out wide v Villa arguably best overall performance of the year? It’s how many times you get the ball to him in attacking areas with players to provide runs for him

Don't agree with this. If he starts out wide by the time he get's the ball in the middle the opposition have got their shape back to defend in depth. Whereas if he starts centrally he can pick the ball up past the opposition midfield and straight onto their back four where he is most dangerous.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1366 on: May 05, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »
Try and keep him (I know he may want to leave). Sell off the dead wood and other players who we can get money for. Pereira is a joy to watch on song and one of the most gifted players I have seen at the Albion in my time watching. I understand we can get good money for him but if he wants to be here then keep him.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1367 on: May 05, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »
Try and keep him (I know he may want to leave). Sell off the dead wood and other players who we can get money for. Pereira is a joy to watch on song and one of the most gifted players I have seen at the Albion in my time watching. I understand we can get good money for him but if he wants to be here then keep him.

We have plenty of dead wood players leaving on frees to bring the wage bill down so I completely agree with you. Don't sell the Crown Jewels, add to them.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1368 on: May 06, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »
We have plenty of dead wood players leaving on frees to bring the wage bill down so I completely agree with you. Don't sell the Crown Jewels, add to them.

It’s easier to recruit and replace if you have £35m plus

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1369 on: May 06, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »
Depends entirely on how that £35,000,000 gets spent, by whom and whether they choose to actually play what they've bought as to how effective the £35,000,000 would be. Easy recruitment's one thing, costly and ineffective recruitment on the other hand is an entirely different ballgame.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1370 on: May 06, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
[/b]

Concise and so accurate. Well said that man!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1371 on: May 06, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
It’s easier to recruit and replace if you have £35m plus

Spurs tried that when they sold Gareth Bale for £77m in 2013 and look how well that worked out for them.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1372 on: May 06, 2021, 05:01:38 PM »
Spurs tried that when they sold Gareth Bale for £77m in 2013 and look how well that worked out for them.

On the other hand Liverpool spent the Coutinho money on Alisson and VVD.

I wouldn't sell Pereira especially with Dowling given the cash but selling a top player CAN be beneficial to the team.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1373 on: May 06, 2021, 05:12:22 PM »
On the other hand Liverpool spent the Coutinho money on Alisson and VVD.

I wouldn't sell Pereira especially with Dowling given the cash but selling a top player CAN be beneficial to the team.
I thought Barca never ended up paying for Coutinho?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1374 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »
I thought Barca never ended up paying for Coutinho?

Nope, he even met all the add ons. They received the full 142 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.