Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 492118 times)

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #1325 on: April 27, 2021, 08:45:18 PM »
A team cannot rely on a single player. 
What about if he gets injured?
What about if he gets sent off?
What about if he's targeted / closely marked every game?

Remember the world cups when England's hopes rested disproportionally on Gazza, on Beckham, on Rooney

It's a team game otherwise managers would not make any difference.

Now there's a thought
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1326 on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:52 PM »
Most clubs fight to keep their best players after relegation. Our board reportedly goes to look for buyers. Says it all.

If he plays his face of course we will be better off rid but until then,unless it's silly money, i'd offer him an improved deal and say give us one year in the EFL and if we dont go straight back up we will sell you.
So keep,or get rid, but keep unless we should get rid?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1327 on: April 27, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »

Oh and now I'm confused.  ;)
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1328 on: April 27, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »

Keep unless he becomes a ******* then get rid Zip
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:54:24 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1329 on: April 27, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
I think it will basically be up to him, there's no point trying to force him to stay, and he has looked frustrated at times so I'd say he will be off.  I'd love him to say that he loves the club and to pledge himself to our promotion challenge, but he knows he is good enough for the prem and at the end of the day he is a pro footballer with a short career.  Let the bidding begin.

mig

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1330 on: April 27, 2021, 09:09:32 PM »
We struck gold to get him in the Champ in the first place so highly unlikely we'd be able to replace him.

I'd be asking him to stay for a year with a gentleman's agreement to sell next summer if we don't go up. If he doesn't want that and kicks up a fuss then we don't have much choice. As others have said, it's not worth keeping an unhappy player, it will only see his value decrease.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1331 on: April 28, 2021, 12:40:21 AM »
I think there will be interest in the player and a lot depends on where that interest comes from. If it is from a European qualified Premier League club then we have zero chance of keeping him. If it is a lower half Premier League team then there is a conversation to be had.

Yes I would like to keep him and I think the club would prefer to but you have to be realistic about it and if I were the player I would be looking for a move. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1332 on: April 28, 2021, 09:40:43 AM »
I think there will be interest in the player and a lot depends on where that interest comes from. If it is from a European qualified Premier League club then we have zero chance of keeping him. If it is a lower half Premier League team then there is a conversation to be had.

Yes I would like to keep him and I think the club would prefer to but you have to be realistic about it and if I were the player I would be looking for a move.

With that kind of defeatist attitude Crystal Palace would have sold Zaha a long time ago and then got relegated. MP is under a long term contract, we don’t have to sell.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1333 on: April 28, 2021, 10:38:38 AM »
Allardyce has talked him up today with the emphasis that he's young and can get better.  That was I think our first sales pitch, not that he really needs one.

MP is one of the lowest earners in our team and his agent turned down a substantial pay rise which would have enabled us to adjust his terms of sale (contract length and/or min resale figure).  So what does that tell us?  He clearly wanted MP to be available for sale if he had a good season, which he has.  Irrespective of COVID, we should ask £30m plus and I think we'll get it.

It's a Laurie Cunningham moment for me.  It's very sad, but he deserves the stage to shine and to earn what he's worth.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1334 on: April 28, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »
Allardyce has talked him up today with the emphasis that he's young and can get better.  That was I think our first sales pitch, not that he really needs one.

MP is one of the lowest earners in our team and his agent turned down a substantial pay rise which would have enabled us to adjust his terms of sale (contract length and/or min resale figure).  So what does that tell us?  He clearly wanted MP to be available for sale if he had a good season, which he has.  Irrespective of COVID, we should ask £30m plus and I think we'll get it.

It's a Laurie Cunningham moment for me.  It's very sad, but he deserves the stage to shine and to earn what he's worth.

He's on 40k per week to be fair. Aside from the historical stupid contract of Gibbs he's on a par with Dowlings wonderful negotiations with Grosicki and Ivanovich. So he's right up there although yes he does deserve a higher wage than anyone else here.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:12:25 AM by gazberg »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1335 on: April 28, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »

I don't he will ever be another Laurie (nor do I think you meant it that way), but your point is very valid.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1336 on: April 28, 2021, 11:35:37 AM »

Very happy for Sam to talk us his value.  MP will be going, deserves to play in the PL, so let's get the best price possible and use those funds wisely.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1337 on: April 28, 2021, 12:00:31 PM »
With that kind of defeatist attitude Crystal Palace would have sold Zaha a long time ago and then got relegated. MP is under a long term contract, we don’t have to sell.

Palace are still in the PL we wont be. To most players PL is second only in attraction to Champions League. Palace are way too reliant on Zaha much as Villa are with Grealish. It isnt good for them, both clubs can barely win a game without their star man. You never build a team around one man.

Put yourself in Pereira's shoes. You are going to want to be in the PL surely?

Losing him wont be a disaster, it brings in, relatively speaking, a huge amount of money to add to the pot already gained from being in the PL, to strengthen the team / squad over all.

We should never be afraid to sell any player, there are other players available to us all over the world.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1338 on: April 28, 2021, 12:10:30 PM »
Palace are still in the PL we wont be. To most players PL is second only in attraction to Champions League. Palace are way too reliant on Zaha much as Villa are with Grealish. It isnt good for them, both clubs can barely win a game without their star man. You never build a team around one man.

Put yourself in Pereira's shoes. You are going to want to be in the PL surely?

Losing him wont be a disaster, it brings in, relatively speaking, a huge amount of money to add to the pot already gained from being in the PL, to strengthen the team / squad over all.

We should never be afraid to sell any player, there are other players available to us all over the world.
The last part worries me , our bloke doesn't shop out of the UK if he can help it !  :o
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1339 on: April 28, 2021, 12:17:19 PM »
I think most peoples fears are not so much that we sell Pereira but as much as what the hell will Dowling waste the money on? He's already going to have a decent sum to flush down the toilet without the sale of MP.

The only decent signings really were from Bilic and Sam, NOT Dowling.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1340 on: April 28, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
I think most peoples fears are not so much that we sell Pereira but as much as what the hell will Dowling waste the money on? He's already going to have a decent sum to flush down the toilet without the sale of MP.

The only decent signings really were from Bilic and Sam, NOT Dowling.

And it's one reason why we need to keep Allardyce. He's a massive figure in the game and he will get his way with the likes of Dowling. Regardless of what some people would like to think Allardyce has massive pulling power. You only have to look at Diagne and Yokuslu to see that, both of them came from overseas.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1341 on: April 28, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
He's on 40k per week to be fair. Aside from the historical stupid contract of Gibbs he's on a par with Dowlings wonderful negotiations with Grosicki and Ivanovich. So he's right up there although yes he does deserve a higher wage than anyone else here.

I'm not sure £40k is correct.  He was on £6k last year and refused improved terms, so I think even with the Prem wage rise he's on less than £20k.  But I accept only he and the club know for sure.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1342 on: April 28, 2021, 01:06:50 PM »
I'm not sure £40k is correct.  He was on £6k last year and refused improved terms, so I think even with the Prem wage rise he's on less than £20k.  But I accept only he and the club know for sure.

It was widely reported by Atheltic and local journos he's on 40k per week. He was probably on 6k per week as a squad player at Sporting

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1343 on: April 28, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »
And it's one reason why we need to keep Allardyce. He's a massive figure in the game and he will get his way with the likes of Dowling. Regardless of what some people would like to think Allardyce has massive pulling power. You only have to look at Diagne and Yokuslu to see that, both of them came from overseas.

Whoever is in charge next season if it's a 'YES' man the club is screwed. Before anymore management changes though i'd like to see a new DOF come first.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1344 on: April 28, 2021, 01:30:45 PM »

Whilst I wouldn't be actively looking to sell, I do think we have to be realistic and learn the lessons from our past.

If the sale of Pereira enables us to revamp the side in several areas then it is something we will need to consider.

Our mistake previously was that we had a good core group of players (Mulumbu, Olsson, Dorrans, Morrison, Brunt, Long) for whom we kept far too long and who continued to depreciate in value. We then get left with a rather old bloated squad with no room to manoeuvre when it came to replacing them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1345 on: April 28, 2021, 01:55:04 PM »
Whilst I wouldn't be actively looking to sell, I do think we have to be realistic and learn the lessons from our past.

If the sale of Pereira enables us to revamp the side in several areas then it is something we will need to consider.

Our mistake previously was that we had a good core group of players (Mulumbu, Olsson, Dorrans, Morrison, Brunt, Long) for whom we kept far too long and who continued to depreciate in value. We then get left with a rather old bloated squad with no room to manoeuvre when it came to replacing them.
It's a tough one because, we probably don't need players of Pereira's quality to compete in the Champ and the money would go a long way. Trouble is, if we do go up, we can't afford players of Pereira's quality.
I'd do everything we can to keep him but, if that fails, then get as much as we possibly can and let him go with our blessing. As long as it's not within a 10 mile radius!!!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1346 on: April 28, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »

Put yourself in Pereira's shoes. You are going to want to be in the PL surely? Losing him wont be a disaster, it brings in, relatively speaking, a huge amount of money to add to the pot already gained from being in the PL, to strengthen the team / squad over all. We should never be afraid to sell any player, there are other players available to us all over the world.

Very good players are extremely difficult to get hold off, if you sell your best players you go backwards. We would be utterly mad to sell Pereira this summer. You keep your best players and seek to add to them.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1347 on: April 28, 2021, 05:20:27 PM »
Very good players are extremely difficult to get hold off, if you sell your best players you go backwards. We would be utterly mad to sell Pereira this summer. You keep your best players and seek to add to them.
But him staying and sulking would be no good to anyone, so sadly I think he'll be off.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1348 on: April 28, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
But him staying and sulking would be no good to anyone, so sadly I think he'll be off.
How do you know he will sulk? It's a big assumption. We should be doing everything in our power to keep him. Hopefully we are.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1349 on: April 28, 2021, 06:16:01 PM »
How do you know he will sulk? It's a big assumption. We should be doing everything in our power to keep him. Hopefully we are.
Don't get me wrong, if we offer him a good deal maybe with something like a bumper promotion wage hike, and he stays that will be absolutely brilliant.  But if he makes it clear he wants out now, and we are getting good offers, then I think we should let him go. I think he's on a long contract, so a good offer in my book would be not much less than 25m, based on what Eze went for.