Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 492158 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Matheus Pereira
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
Matheus Pereira looks like a talent, that is a loan signing I would be positive about it we can get it over the line.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:46:48 AM by Political Cake »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Matheus Pereira (on loan from Sporting Lisbon)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
Sky sports reporing that the Pereira deal is off because they want too high a loan fee.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »
Sky sports reporing that the Pereira deal is off because they want too high a loan fee.

Fair enough. Paying over the odds is what got us into a mess in the first place. We shouldn't be held to ransom.

Let it go, move on to the next target. We're not Man City or Barcelona there are loads of players out there that will improve us.

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
Think this one could resurface

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
Think this one could resurface

I think somebody alluded to Portugese clubs being notoriously difficult to deal with and there's a lot of hard balling!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:36:25 PM »

Will probably be one we revisit near the close of the window depending on if we have found an alternative and if they have received any other offers.

One thing I will say is, its refreshing to see us being linked to players abroad again - been a while hasn't it, most of us are used to the old tried and tested british players.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 04:27:48 PM »
There’s nothing in Portuguese media alluding to the fact it’s off. The latest here is that he’s keen on the move BUT Sporting do drive a hard bargain!!
The more people I meet the more I like my dog.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 03:51:21 PM »
Or Pereira ....
This ones not dead in the water. Not in Sporting squad, would be a great signing along with a 20 goal a season striker at this level

Matheus will leave Sporting
 The SAD has offers to sell and loan the player who, in turn, also sees the exit as the best alternative

Source Record Portugal this morning

I really hope this is true as he’s an exciting talent

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »
Would love Matheus Pereira, looks a great talent and stood out in the Bundesliga in difficult circumstances. With the likes of Cavaleiro at Fulham and Helder Costa at Leeds we really need that sort of tricky winger who has the ability to terrorise Championship defenders.

Him and Phillips on the wings with the likes of Edwards and Burke off the bench would give us a threat throughout the 90 mins. A €1m loan with an €8m option looks a no-brainer when you consider what sh*te like McClean goes for nowadays.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 08:44:27 AM »
According to the press in Portugal Schalke 04 are trying to loan Perreira fir the season possibly with option to buy at over €10m

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 09:16:07 AM »
According to the press in Portugal Schalke 04 are trying to loan Perreira fir the season possibly with option to buy at over €10m
that's us out of running then.

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
that's us out of running then.

Why's that?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
Why's that?
fee for permanent move at end of loan too rich for owner

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
I read , this was from the Portuguese press that sporting wanted 1 million upfront for the loan then we had to pay 8 million the summer after for the permanent transfer, that’s what put us off

Having the option to buy is one thing having to buy is an all together different kettle of fish. If he comes in tears up the division great even if we don't get promoted it's probably okay but if he bombs then what? To some extent it defeats the point of taking him on loan. Be interesting to see if Sporting get what they are looking for elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:51:37 PM by Standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 02:09:45 PM »
Depends if it’s an option or obligation to buy, I can’t imagine the club going for an 8mil obligation to buy just incase he flops
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 02:11:57 PM »
Yeah if it's an obligation to buy at 8m then that's not a loan it's a transfer. Don't blame the club in that case.

65baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 02:39:22 PM »
Think this is one Bilic is really after. Can play both wings and No 10 plus he has goals in him. Any loan is usually option to buy at the end, protects both parties. Reports seem quite accurate

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »
This is the kind of deal the Dingles have been doing, especially the year they got out this division - Costa, Cavaleiro, Jota, etc. I wouldn't want an obligation to buy, because he could come here and be pooh, but if he comes and is a key part of a promotion winning team then it's worth it.

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 11:38:34 PM »
I live in Portugal and the concensus is that he’s a great talent but there’s just not room for him at Sporting.
He’s certainly a very talented lad who has great control and a good reading of the game. Loves to ghost past defenders and us quite direct. 500k loan fee and €8-10 m option is good value imo

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »
catch 22, if it's a loan with an obligation to buy and he turns out to be poor you get stung. what if he takes the league by storm? as long as we get first refusal it's a winner. all purchases are a gamble.

baggie_liam

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
Lets be honest, we paid £15m on Burke and look how he turned out so far. So even for £8m he can’t be no worse

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
It is interesting that the name of Olly Burke keeps cropping up in this thread. To some extent that is the cautionary tale that says we need to careful and in part one of the reasons we are a Championship club with a limited budget is because of the Olly Burke transfer.

At least in this instance Pereira is a player we plainly need in a position we need to fill which was not the case with Burke. I will always take issue with people that say "just pay the money" you always have to take account of the commitment that you are making and where that might leave the club if it goes wrong.

However as I type this a further update via Sporting Witness reporting a Portugese source saying that talks are on going.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/west-brom-not-withdrawn-transfer-movement-coming-hours-possible/

I think we might be the best option Sporting have. While Pereira might attract interest from teams from a top 5 league it won't be from the bigger clubs and in many instances those clubs aren't going  to be anymore willing to pay a big loan fee and a hefty permanent at the end of the loan period than we are.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
Talk of him going to Schalke now

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

wba1968-Tim

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Reading between the lines he prefers a move to us and the latest is that we are winning the race or have won the race. My Portuguese grammar ain’t that great 😎

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 02:45:29 PM »
We should never agree to an obligation to buy, only ever an option imo.

When a club are insisting on an obligation it's the same as buying him now with the same Burkesque risks.

Why we did not do this with Burke can only be down to a low upfront fee being paid us, as the fee was always upto £15m.

RBL knew Burke was terrible and knew after a loan we would say Nein.