Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 216053 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »
100% agree. The little bits that he does well in a game, like his goal where he used skill to find space and how cleanly he strikes the ball, as well as moments in the second half where he would glide past a midfielder and easily make a cross field pass hint he has a top level talent base to work on. Problem is as you say, he was anonymous after his goal and only really came back into the game in the last half an hour and even then it was only in parts. A good example was when O'Shea gave the ball away and was caught out of position. Harper as the nearest man stood still and tried to claim a foul as the Harrogate player ran past him, while Sam Field tracked back to make the tackle.

A loan move, preferably to a side like Barnsley or Luton would give him a chance to play 35-40 games this season with managers who have good track records with young players. They might be able to help him to start taking more control of games, rather than letting large portions of games pass him by.

We haven't had a brilliant track record of getting young players the loan moves they need at the right time, but with Dowling seemingly learning his lesson this year with regards to this and with us having Gallagher and potentially now Field in Bilic's thinking, it would be a waste not to try to develop a talent like Harper in a better environment rather than him continue to have drips and drabs from the bench.
Boing Boing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2020, 09:14:17 AM »
Should be loaned out to the championship. Odd player, weird gait, doesn't seem to have any natural positional sense. Quick feet but doesn't come across like he knows what he's doing half the time.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #827 on: September 17, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
100% agree. The little bits that he does well in a game, like his goal where he used skill to find space and how cleanly he strikes the ball, as well as moments in the second half where he would glide past a midfielder and easily make a cross field pass hint he has a top level talent base to work on. Problem is as you say, he was anonymous after his goal and only really came back into the game in the last half an hour and even then it was only in parts. A good example was when O'Shea gave the ball away and was caught out of position. Harper as the nearest man stood still and tried to claim a foul as the Harrogate player ran past him, while Sam Field tracked back to make the tackle.

A loan move, preferably to a side like Barnsley or Luton would give him a chance to play 35-40 games this season with managers who have good track records with young players. They might be able to help him to start taking more control of games, rather than letting large portions of games pass him by.

We haven't had a brilliant track record of getting young players the loan moves they need at the right time, but with Dowling seemingly learning his lesson this year with regards to this and with us having Gallagher and potentially now Field in Bilic's thinking, it would be a waste not to try to develop a talent like Harper in a better environment rather than him continue to have drips and drabs from the bench.

Agree with large parts of this, he has great talent but could benefit from a full season so much. I see his best position as a number 8 who could probably play the 10 role too and probably most effective in a midfield 3. With Gallagher coming in, I presume Harper is now behind him there too but unless Krovinovic comes in as well, I don't see Harper going out on loan.

staticboy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #828 on: September 17, 2020, 10:29:09 AM »
I think it would be good for Harper to go out on loan as what we need right now he can't deliver.  And the longer he stays with us playing a few minutes here or there will destroy his confidence further. Even if it was a short term loan as I do think he has the potential to be great. That's my take on him anyway :)

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #829 on: September 17, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »
Harper showed his skill yesterday but he needs consistency.
He should go to a championship club on loan and play more games to develop.
The PRIDE of midlands

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #830 on: September 17, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »
A loan to a side like Luton would be excellent actually. A lot to learn.

I like Harper and think he has a lot of attributes which will make him a good player but he does not influence the game enough. He sometimes reminds me of the kid on the playground who wants to play with the big boys so stands on the periphery in case the ball comes near him.

He needs to really start getting involved and influencing the game more.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #831 on: September 17, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »
He does need a loan but it wont happen until we get gallagher and krovonovic. Also theres another cup game next week which I imagine he will play in
O Albion we love you

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #832 on: September 17, 2020, 08:43:00 PM »
I think Harper is one of the most naturally talented players at the club, but I don't think he's quite developed his self confidence. He is still quite young so maybe that will come with more experience. In his position, he needs to sometimes demand the ball, not just wait and hope someone sees him. If he is handled well by the club and coaching staff, he could turn out to be one of our top players.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #833 on: September 28, 2020, 09:36:17 AM »
With the signings of Gallagher and Krovinovic and the emergence of Sam Field as Bilic's preferred holding midfielder sub, it's crucial that Harper goes out on loan this window.

The club have got way better in 2020 at getting players out on loan rather than stagnating in our reserves and it is having some success, but there are still a couple of players screaming out for a loan move this window are Harper is the most important one.

A full season at championship or league 1 level, if at the right club, could be the making of him and be the succession planning for next season.

There is absolutely no benefit to keeping him at the club this window, not when we have Livermore, Sawyers, Field, Gallagher, Krov and Pereira to play those positions. Harper MUST go out on loan this window. Him, Soule and maybe even Shotton/Solanke.
Boing Boing

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
With the signings of Gallagher and Krovinovic and the emergence of Sam Field as Bilic's preferred holding midfielder sub, it's crucial that Harper goes out on loan this window.

The club have got way better in 2020 at getting players out on loan rather than stagnating in our reserves and it is having some success, but there are still a couple of players screaming out for a loan move this window are Harper is the most important one.

A full season at championship or league 1 level, if at the right club, could be the making of him and be the succession planning for next season.

There is absolutely no benefit to keeping him at the club this window, not when we have Livermore, Sawyers, Field, Gallagher, Krov and Pereira to play those positions. Harper MUST go out on loan this window. Him, Soule and maybe even Shotton/Solanke.

Agree with this, just concerned that it might not happen as if we switch to 433 as I expect, then you'd have 6 midfielders for the three roles as it currently stands:

Holding: Livermore/Field
Playmaking: Sawyers/Krovinovic
Box to box: Gallagher/Harper

Two players for each position is optimum although now we are out of the League Cup, perhaps a loan until January would be sensible. We need to get him regular games somehow.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #835 on: September 28, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
A year on loan in the Championship would do him a world of good. Needs to go to a team who play the right way. Somewhere like Blackburn or Swansea would be perfect.
BOING BOING

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #836 on: September 28, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
A year on loan in the Championship would do him a world of good. Needs to go to a team who play the right way. Somewhere like Blackburn or Swansea would be perfect.
Already been to Blackburn and couldn't get much of a look in .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #837 on: September 28, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
Already been to Blackburn and couldn't get much of a look in .
That was 3 years ago now which for a developing player is a long time so I'm doubtful it's that relevant to where he's at now. He clearly has ability but needs to switch on far more quickly in games and be more consistently involved. He would have competition for places wherever he went in the championship but that's more or less a given anyway these days. 

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #838 on: September 28, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
That was 3 years ago now which for a developing player is a long time so I'm doubtful it's that relevant to where he's at now. He clearly has ability but needs to switch on far more quickly in games and be more consistently involved. He would have competition for places wherever he went in the championship but that's more or less a given anyway these days.
It's a shame Charlton dropped , would hace been ideal for Harper.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #839 on: December 29, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
Should play v Arsenal over Sawyers.

How can he be any worse?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #840 on: December 29, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
Should play v Arsenal over Sawyers.

How can he be any worse?

That's my thinking also... what we got to lose as it stands
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #841 on: December 29, 2020, 08:23:47 PM »
That's my thinking also... what we got to lose as it stands

Sawyers has earnt a rest i'd say.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #842 on: January 14, 2021, 03:29:24 PM »
Sky sports reporting that 4 championship clubs are interested in taking him on loan,
Boing Boing

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #843 on: January 14, 2021, 03:36:35 PM »
Sky sports reporting that 4 championship clubs are interested in taking him on loan,

We need to get him out and get him some game time. No way he'll be playing here the rest of this season.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #844 on: January 14, 2021, 03:43:19 PM »
We need to get him out and get him some game time. No way he'll be playing here the rest of this season.

PLus he's only got 18 months left on his contract. SO we need to make a decision at end of season whether to resign or sell.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #845 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:38 PM »
He should have gone out on loan last season, he's no kid anymore and hasn't played a handful of games.
I do feel a little for him even though I don't really rate him if I'm honest, but thats what I've seen of him and that ain't a lot.
Him and Edwards out on loan definitely.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #846 on: January 14, 2021, 10:12:47 PM »
Harper will never be good enough sell him.

Edwards the same. He's 23 next month, for a winger that's not young anymore.

Neither going to make the level we need.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #847 on: January 14, 2021, 10:32:31 PM »
Harper will never be good enough sell him.

Edwards the same. He's 23 next month, for a winger that's not young anymore.

Neither going to make the level we need.

Totally agree about both.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #848 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:19 PM »
Like others have said I'd be moving him and Edwards on. These aren't young acedemy players you can send out to get minutes now these are players we need to be making decisions on whether or not they are good enough for where we want to be and the obvious answer at the moment is they aren't.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #849 on: January 14, 2021, 11:44:59 PM »
Totally agree about both.

I don’t agree - they are both fine for next season in the Championship.