Author Topic: Rekeem Harper Joins Ipswich Town  (Read 217500 times)

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Rekeem Harper
« Reply #425 on: April 03, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
The problem is, if for example we do use Rekeem to set the scene for the future, then whats stopping the likes of Rogers, Tulloch, Edwards running down their current contracts and demanding 30,000 a week.

Harper seems talented don't get me wrong, but he's not worth 30 grand a week at the moment. Come the summer if we are still in this division that would make him one of the highest earners in the team, he hasn't justified that yet.

Someone posted previously about how he should be offered a contract of say £15/18k a week contract now, which rises to £25k if we get promoted etc etc.

We would easily litter his contract with incentives, lets not forget he's only just gone 19 and has played 12 senior games for us. No goals, no assists.

Doing a quick google search (granted it may not be 100% correct) states Sam Field is on £10k a week, Sam has also contributed more to the first team, Harper shouldn't be being offered anything over £16-20k at the most in my opinion.
I’d add that Sam’s had his contract renewed atleast twice since he broke through, so he impressed people to get that 10k

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #426 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
This is football in 2019, if we want to keep the talented kids then like it or not we have to pay the wages otherwise they go elsewhere. Is it worth giving him £15k a week with an incentive of extra if we go up and possibly getting a big fee in the future or do we say "nah kid, yow ay worth it, tarraaa" and see him pick the wages up elsewhere whilst we keep scrambling round for freebies, loans and rewarding the old guard year on year ?

This season has shown the midfield needs youth and players who can run, Harper is both. To buy the finished article will cost more than we either can afford or will spend so why not keep what we have and let them learn on the job and reap the rewards in the long term. He has already said that Barry is the best teacher he's had.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #427 on: April 03, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »
It's interesting that the arguments for RH not yet signing a contract are presumed to be about money.

Money could be a factor, but there could also be other factors, not the least of which is his personal development.
There is a trend for young UK players to move to Germany, mainly because the football ethos there is considered better for their development than here in the UK.
Perhaps he's considering offers from there?
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #428 on: April 03, 2019, 03:39:21 PM »
It's interesting that the arguments for RH not yet signing a contract are presumed to be about money.

Money could be a factor, but there could also be other factors, not the least of which is his personal development.
There is a trend for young UK players to move to Germany, mainly because the football ethos there is considered better for their development than here in the UK.
Perhaps he's considering offers from there?
rumour is it’s uk/prem based. No proof either way but I’d guess he’ll stay in the country.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2019, 03:47:48 PM »
This is football in 2019, if we want to keep the talented kids then like it or not we have to pay the wages otherwise they go elsewhere. Is it worth giving him £15k a week with an incentive of extra if we go up and possibly getting a big fee in the future or do we say "nah kid, yow ay worth it, tarraaa" and see him pick the wages up elsewhere whilst we keep scrambling round for freebies, loans and rewarding the old guard year on year ?

This season has shown the midfield needs youth and players who can run, Harper is both. To buy the finished article will cost more than we either can afford or will spend so why not keep what we have and let them learn on the job and reap the rewards in the long term. He has already said that Barry is the best teacher he's had.

but just youth and players that can run dont win football games im sorry. otherwise lets just sign a load of young sprinters. there are other qualities required  to play in midfield, and at the moment IMO he does not show them but hopefully that develops in time. its such a fine line but you cant just agree to a young players silly demands because hes young and got some potential. i would agree if he had set the world alight but he really hasnt and has played 12 senior games.

there is only chris wood playing for a club in a higher division than us who we let go as a young player yet we seem to get slated for it all of the time. has it ever dawned upon people that maybe some are just not good enough? Yan Dhanda has played 4 times for a poor swansea side all season and Izzy Brown has played once for leeds. Jerome Sinclair is on loan at Oxford too.

IMO if Rekeem Haper is asking for anything more than £10-12k a week then we should let him move on IMO. we have had a good look at him and he is not worth anything more than that taking into account it is 2019 and his current performances at this stage of his career. there is plenty of time for him to get millions more if he proves his potential.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #430 on: April 03, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Young players/kids should try to remember some times, Short term loss for long time gain is the better road to take some times & our club should remember there is a going rate for wages & pay it.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #431 on: April 03, 2019, 04:01:04 PM »
Young players/kids should try to remember some times, Short term loss for long time gain is the better road to take some times & our club should remember there is a going rate for wages & pay it.

Unless you're exceptional, it's the only way to take.

Tend to agree with others, RH is promising, but he's not exceptional.
If he recognises that, then it's the development opportunity that should be the governing factor, not the money.

If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #432 on: April 03, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
but just youth and players that can run dont win football games im sorry. otherwise lets just sign a load of young sprinters. there are other qualities required  to play in midfield, and at the moment IMO he does not show them but hopefully that develops in time. its such a fine line but you cant just agree to a young players silly demands because hes young and got some potential. i would agree if he had set the world alight but he really hasnt and has played 12 senior games.

there is only chris wood playing for a club in a higher division than us who we let go as a young player yet we seem to get slated for it all of the time. has it ever dawned upon people that maybe some are just not good enough? Yan Dhanda has played 4 times for a poor swansea side all season and Izzy Brown has played once for leeds. Jerome Sinclair is on loan at Oxford too.

IMO if Rekeem Haper is asking for anything more than £10-12k a week then we should let him move on IMO. we have had a good look at him and he is not worth anything more than that taking into account it is 2019 and his current performances at this stage of his career. there is plenty of time for him to get millions more if he proves his potential.

In his time in the team he has shown he is more than capable at this level and possibly above, he offers more than others we have, he is happy to run with the ball which others cannot do, he's a kid learning his trade so nothing to do with signing young sprinters. One minute he's being compared to Cunningham, the next he's not good enough for us.

As for Izzy Brown you say played once for Leeds? If he had stayed he would have been a regular here. Have a look at his injury record then you'll see why he's hardly played. I notice you also omitted to mention two others at Leeds, Roofe and Roberts, they seem to have made the grade at this level okay, Roofe via Oxford but Roberts straight from here yet he also was not deemed good enough for us to pay the going rate. Thats all is it the "going rate".

Has it ever dawned on some theat they will not be world beaters after a few games ?

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #433 on: April 03, 2019, 06:17:05 PM »
In his time in the team he has shown he is more than capable at this level and possibly above, he offers more than others we have, he is happy to run with the ball which others cannot do, he's a kid learning his trade so nothing to do with signing young sprinters. One minute he's being compared to Cunningham, the next he's not good enough for us.

As for Izzy Brown you say played once for Leeds? If he had stayed he would have been a regular here. Have a look at his injury record then you'll see why he's hardly played. I notice you also omitted to mention two others at Leeds, Roofe and Roberts, they seem to have made the grade at this level okay, Roofe via Oxford but Roberts straight from here yet he also was not deemed good enough for us to pay the going rate. Thats all is it the "going rate".

Has it ever dawned on some theat they will not be world beaters after a few games ?
The comparison with Cunningham is interesting. I’ve only seen him in a few games on telly, but can’t help but be impressed with his uncanny ability of balance. It’s not quite as finely tuned as Laurie, but it’s there. That’s not something you can easily acquire with practice. It’s a gift. And when a player possesses it, it gives them valuable time on the ball to do all the other things. He’s nowhere near the finished article, but I believe other coaches have spotted this capability, and would do anything to get their hands on him. I desperately hope he stays, because we desperately need this type of player. Again, it seems that the issue of money is clouding a decision being made quickly. Fingers crossed.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2019, 08:22:21 PM »
Might be clutching at straws but Albion official account posted five hours ago pictures of Edwards' and harpers' shirts and names with diamonds next to their names.

No comment. No explanation?

Is that a hint of something to do with them or am I getting carried away??

Albion don't tend to post random pictures of shirts and names...?
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #435 on: April 03, 2019, 08:47:54 PM »
I find it absolutely incredible  that anyone could compare Harper with Laurie Cunningham  :o :o

Harper looks promising at times, but Laurie was a genius, genuinely two footed, pace, trickery - he had everything. I read somewhere he was the only Real Madrid player ever to be applauded by both sets of fans at the Nou Camp
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #436 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:37 PM »
I find it absolutely incredible  that anyone could compare Harper with Laurie Cunningham  :o :o

Harper looks promising at times, but Laurie was a genius, genuinely two footed, pace, trickery - he had everything. I read somewhere he was the only Real Madrid player ever to be applauded by both sets of fans at the Nou Camp
Nothing wrong with comparing, especially if there are comparisons.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #437 on: April 03, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
Might be clutching at straws but Albion official account posted five hours ago pictures of Edwards' and harpers' shirts and names with diamonds next to their names.

No comment. No explanation?

Is that a hint of something to do with them or am I getting carried away??

Albion don't tend to post random pictures of shirts and names...?

Wondered that myself. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #438 on: April 04, 2019, 08:50:56 AM »

I wont comment on Izzy Brown as to be honest I haven't seen him play since he left here, nor does he seem to have made many appearances - injuries and such.

Roofe has worked his way up from the lower leagues, he left us in 2015 - he would have been 23, we were in the premier league, I think the fact he went to Oxford, and looking at his stats at Leeds, hes only really started to find his feet in the championship since last season.

Roberts, I don't think we've done wrong in letting go, his record this season isn't amazing (granted its his first full season in senior football) but he has played 22 games with 3 goals, hasn't really set the world alight in my opinion, would I have him in our starting 11 at present, no.

As others have said, Rekeem does have potential no one is denying that, but so does Leko and many other academy players. I wouldn't be concerned with him leaving if his wage demands are too high. That's of course if that's what the issue is with signing a deal. Would love to see him stay and become a good player before moving on, as opposed to jumping ship too early and stunting his career.

Hopefully he has a look at the other younger lads who have left our academy for bigger clubs and see that it doesn't always work out, with Yan, Jerome Sinclair and Izzy Brown being the main examples.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #439 on: April 04, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
Problem:  It may seem to these guys that they either stunt their careers at Albion waiting for the old guard to shift or stunt their careers elsewhere for more money.  Which would you choose?
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #440 on: April 04, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »
Problem:  It may seem to these guys that they either stunt their careers at Albion waiting for the old guard to shift or stunt their careers elsewhere for more money.  Which would you choose?
In Harpers case its a no brainer , Barry , Mozza and Brunt all on their last lap as such . The only other competition is Livermore or Field  , with respect to him if he departs its down to money.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #441 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
I wont comment on Izzy Brown as to be honest I haven't seen him play since he left here, nor does he seem to have made many appearances - injuries and such.

Roofe has worked his way up from the lower leagues, he left us in 2015 - he would have been 23, we were in the premier league, I think the fact he went to Oxford, and looking at his stats at Leeds, hes only really started to find his feet in the championship since last season.

Roberts, I don't think we've done wrong in letting go, his record this season isn't amazing (granted its his first full season in senior football) but he has played 22 games with 3 goals, hasn't really set the world alight in my opinion, would I have him in our starting 11 at present, no.

As others have said, Rekeem does have potential no one is denying that, but so does Leko and many other academy players. I wouldn't be concerned with him leaving if his wage demands are too high. That's of course if that's what the issue is with signing a deal. Would love to see him stay and become a good player before moving on, as opposed to jumping ship too early and stunting his career.

Hopefully he has a look at the other younger lads who have left our academy for bigger clubs and see that it doesn't always work out, with Yan, Jerome Sinclair and Izzy Brown being the main examples.

did try and post previously and put "agreed,great post" but for some  strange reason it was removed.

agree with everything youve said there mate.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #442 on: April 04, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
Nothing wrong with comparing, especially if there are comparisons.

Yes but my point is that in no way can Harper likened to Cunningham - there simply is no comparison
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #443 on: April 04, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »
Yes but my point is that in no way can Harper likened to Cunningham - there simply is no comparison

Believe it is his gait and running style as opposed to any parallels regardig ability.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #444 on: April 04, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »
did try and post previously and put "agreed,great post" but for some  strange reason it was removed.

I refer you to the site rules:

"Please do not post one word posts, if you agree/disagree with a fellow poster please explain why instead of just 'agreed' etc."

He/him

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #445 on: April 04, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »

Believe it is his gait and running style as opposed to any parallels regardig ability.
That was exactly what I was referring to Jacko. Being only able to view games on the telly, and usually in a bar (refusing to vacate my barstool because pole position is all important to me), quite often I can only identify our players from a distance by their running style. Harper has a very distinctive one.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #446 on: April 04, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »

Having not watched every Leeds game I have no idea how Roberts does each week but seems to be doing okay and did well against us recently. Roofe who knows if he had stayed would have saved us a few quid in the process. If we don't give them game time we will never know and as a club we seem reluctant to give them games whilst clubs around us seem happy to do so.

Izzy Brown would have played many more games if not for some bad injuries which seem to have affected him, again another who could have saved us money but had his head turned.

If their demands are out of touch then yes we should always let them go but as a club we're happy to keep some on the gravy train but reluctant to see if we have gems of our own.

Would Statham, Bennett etc be given a chance these days or we would we dismiss them after a few games?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #447 on: April 04, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »

i think there is a rule on the site that posts that add nothing, (ie, thumbs up or agree or great post) will be removed. I sort of get it as I have seen on other sites reams of posts which just consist of an emoticon and its pretty messy to be honest.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

TiptonThrostle

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »
i think there is a rule on the site that posts that add nothing, (ie, thumbs up or agree or great post) will be removed. I sort of get it as I have seen on other sites reams of posts which just consist of an emoticon and its pretty messy to be honest.

i completely get that but it has to be consistent surely? there is no point arguing anyway anymore. i feel certain members are targeted on here with having their posts constantly removed for invalid reasons. this post will probably get deleted too but im not too fussed as im not going to post on here again.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
i completely get that but it has to be consistent surely? there is no point arguing anyway anymore. i feel certain members are targeted on here with having their posts constantly removed for invalid reasons. this post will probably get deleted too but im not too fussed as im not going to post on here again.

Your post was deleted because we don't allow one word answers or 'great post' types.  They are not constructive.  What we don't want is post after post with those kind of answers.  It adds nothing to the forum.