Author Topic: Kyle Bartley  (Read 230032 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Kyle Bartley
« Reply #1450 on: January 23, 2024, 04:04:50 PM »
It would disrupt our defence if he were to go, which generally has been pretty solid. Not saying Ajayi can't drop in, but there are times when Bartley's dominance in the air is needed. 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1451 on: January 23, 2024, 05:00:53 PM »
I can't see Luton offering him 30k PW plus even in the PL but never say never I guess

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1452 on: January 23, 2024, 05:04:25 PM »
Guessing Luton are after a replacement for Lockyer
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1453 on: January 23, 2024, 05:13:36 PM »
I can't see Luton offering him 30k PW plus even in the PL but never say never I guess

Whatever they offer him that will halve on relegation, but as they’d have parachute money he’d probably still be on more next season in the Championship than he’ll get almost anywhere else.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1454 on: January 23, 2024, 05:35:52 PM »
Whatever they offer him that will halve on relegation, but as they’d have parachute money he’d probably still be on more next season in the Championship than he’ll get almost anywhere else.

Might as well flog him. Get 30k PW off the books and a fee.

Can reinvest it into some attacking players then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:45:13 PM by gazberg »

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1455 on: January 23, 2024, 05:41:24 PM »
Might as well flog him. Get 30k PW off the books and a few.

Can reinvest it into some attacking players then.
I have my doubts about that 30k figure, but even if it's right the chance of it being reinvested is between minimal and zilch  ;D

DevonInStripes

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1456 on: January 23, 2024, 05:43:31 PM »
Take any money offered and we’ve got Taylor as a ready made replacement together with the wage saving .

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1457 on: January 23, 2024, 05:45:01 PM »
I have my doubts about that 30k figure, but even if it's right the chance of it being reinvested is between minimal and zilch  ;D

I think someone on here said 32.5k per week. I could be wrong.

As for the money I'm just thinking 32.5k x 25 (roughly) and a few hundred grand fee would be worth a million to us in money terms and we have Ajayi, Taylor and Kelly waiting so we are not short in that area really. Even Pieters can be an option if need be.

Would give some wriggle room for what CC wants
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:53:28 PM by gazberg »

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1458 on: January 23, 2024, 05:52:59 PM »
Given our overall wage bill I can well believe £30k
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1459 on: January 23, 2024, 06:28:25 PM »
They couldn’t agree terms with Palmer, who I would imagine would have been far easier to offer improved terms to . I hold no real hope they could match or exceed Bartleys current pay. If it frees up enough funds to tie down Kipre I’d be all for it if a deal could be done though.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1460 on: January 23, 2024, 06:53:28 PM »
They couldn’t agree terms with Palmer, who I would imagine would have been far easier to offer improved terms to . I hold no real hope they could match or exceed Bartleys current pay. If it frees up enough funds to tie down Kipre I’d be all for it if a deal could be done though.

There’s a difference re Palmer.  He wasn’t close to be out of contract here, so going to Luton and tied to a contract where he’d end up (after relegation) earning less than here made no sense.    Bartley on the other hand will be earning zilch in June from us and is facing almost certainly a 50% pay cut if he finds another Championship club.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1461 on: January 23, 2024, 06:56:51 PM »
I would be surprised if the rumoured deal materialises but at this point we could trade a Centre Back for reinforcements elsewhere in the squad.

The plain fact is we are selling players in the window to replace them with loans which is indicative of where we are financially.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1462 on: January 23, 2024, 07:03:47 PM »
Wouldn’t be pleased to lose him, not at all. However recognising our dire financial situation, it may make sense.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1463 on: January 23, 2024, 07:49:38 PM »
Swap for Cauley Woodrow ?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1464 on: January 23, 2024, 08:55:43 PM »
Like above, I can't believe I'd be saying this but, purely in terms of what we would lose on the pitch, he'd be a massive loss, particularly at this stage of the season. However, in financial terms, if there was any kind of fee at all and we wiped his wages from the weekly bill, the club would save a fortune.

The Luton links make sense. They're big on data and, overall, savvy recruiters. Sitting in a deep block, in the middle of a back three, he'd do a reasonable job I think.

victor mature

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1465 on: January 23, 2024, 11:49:22 PM »

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1466 on: January 24, 2024, 08:55:55 AM »
The offer Luton made Alex Palmer would have earnt him more money per week than he is on with us this season in the premier league but if Luton were relegated he'd have been on less at Luton than he is with us.

the more i think about that and the rumoured money that Bartley is on i can't see this happening.

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1467 on: January 24, 2024, 09:53:59 AM »
The offer Luton made Alex Palmer would have earnt him more money per week than he is on with us this season in the premier league but if Luton were relegated he'd have been on less at Luton than he is with us.

the more i think about that and the rumoured money that Bartley is on i can't see this happening.
Bartley is on 0 next year though so if they offer an 18 month contract I’m sure he’d be interested.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1468 on: January 24, 2024, 10:34:23 AM »
Bartley is on 0 next year though so if they offer an 18 month contract I’m sure he’d be interested.

Yup, he is due around £750k from his remaining contract time here.  They could offer him 30k per week now and a reduction to 15/20k p/w for next season regardless. We won't be able to afford that.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1469 on: January 24, 2024, 10:43:49 AM »
Has played well recently and unless club are going to offer him another contract, which imo they shouldn’t I’d be happy to get his wages of the books and get a few bob for him as well.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1470 on: January 24, 2024, 11:05:30 AM »
Has played well recently and unless club are going to offer him another contract, which imo they shouldn’t I’d be happy to get his wages of the books and get a few bob for him as well.
100% in agreement no contract extension here thanks.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1471 on: January 24, 2024, 11:50:17 AM »
Yup, he is due around £750k from his remaining contract time here.  They could offer him 30k per week now and a reduction to 15/20k p/w for next season regardless. We won't be able to afford that.
Hes be out on contract after picking up the 750k from us and would be in a stronger position to negotiate a better wage as with most free transfers.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1472 on: January 24, 2024, 01:19:07 PM »
Hes be out on contract after wetting up the 750k from us and would be in a stronger position to negotiate a better wage as with most free transfers.

Not necessarily. He's not getting any younger and if he stays here, Luton could go down and then no PL team is interested in him or even Luton could stay up and move onto other, younger targets when they have a whole summer to recruit.

I think for him it would be best to move right now. And the transfer fee will be miniscule in the grand scheme.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1473 on: January 24, 2024, 01:22:08 PM »
From Bartley's perspective, if they offer him an 18 month contract or better, at current wages or better, it would be a no brainer. From the club's perspective, it would also make sense if we got a small fee and saved 6 months wages on one of the higher earners. He would be gone in the summer anyway and we have enough cover in his position to see us through to the end of the season.

Bartley is much better served to wait and review his options in the summer. Which is what I expect to happen. By then we may have swapped places with Luton.

tambag

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1474 on: January 24, 2024, 01:39:59 PM »
Bartley is much better served to wait and review his options in the summer. Which is what I expect to happen. By then we may have swapped places with Luton.

If we swap places with Luton, then I can definatley see us releasing him.  He will only stay here IMO if we are a championship club next season and that he agree's to a massive pay cut on probably a 12 month deal with a second year based on at least 25 appareances in the first year of the contract.