Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668244 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3200 on: August 02, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »
We should of always just offered SJ a golden handshake of say £2m to sign a new contract. By signing that contract we immediately recoup that £2m.
But we need the funds for our transfer kitty now, with SJ one of our 2 main assets. Of these, I'd much rather see SJ go, as we have adequate goalkeeper cover at the club.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3201 on: August 02, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
But we need the funds for our transfer kitty now, with SJ one of our 2 main assets. Of these, I'd much rather see SJ go, as we have adequate goalkeeper cover at the club.

From what I've seen of Button and Palmer - Johnstone is on a different level (personal opinion). That could be worth 10 points this season.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3202 on: August 02, 2021, 02:42:15 PM »
Don't think he is that bad ;D

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3203 on: August 02, 2021, 03:02:06 PM »
We should of always just offered SJ a golden handshake of say £2m to sign a new contract. By signing that contract we immediately recoup that £2m.

No offence, but you talk about £2m like it is loose change.

This is the Albion mate.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3204 on: August 02, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »
From what I've seen of Button and Palmer - Johnstone is on a different level (personal opinion). That could be worth 10 points this season.

Wouldn't say 10 that's a bit harsh, he'll probably only cost us 6 to 8 more points than Button/Palmer.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3205 on: August 02, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »
Wouldn't say 10 that's a bit harsh, he'll probably only cost us 6 to 8 more points than Button/Palmer.

I've seen enough in two friendlies to note that Button doesn't command his penalty area any better than Johnstone and looks a lot more nervous with the ball at his feet. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and accept our difference of opinion!

I'm not saying Johnstone is a world beater by any means and he has his faults but I'd feel more comfortable with him in goal overall.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 05:02:26 PM by jamesh_91 »

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3206 on: August 02, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
HaHa Not going well for you mate, Captain fantastico and SJ back, and Conor looking good.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3207 on: August 02, 2021, 05:54:47 PM »
HaHa Not going well for you mate, Captain fantastico and SJ back, and Conor looking good.

It's the club it won't go well for, which affects all of us, not just me.

Johnstone not currently being considered to play thankfully according to VI latest quotes...

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3208 on: August 02, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
It's the club it won't go well for, which affects all of us, not just me.

Johnstone not currently being considered to play thankfully according to VI latest quotes...
I would agree with that at present, but once Johnstone is re-integrated into the squad he has to play.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3209 on: August 02, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
I would agree with that at present, but once Johnstone is re-integrated into the squad he has to play.

Fine - just not in goal please ;D

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3210 on: August 02, 2021, 11:00:28 PM »

Of course he will. A way better keeper than any other at our club.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3211 on: August 03, 2021, 06:40:42 PM »
Edit - VI has praised SJ attitude since returning and may feature AFTER Bournemouth game

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3212 on: August 03, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
This lad will sit on his contract and walk away for nothing and get praised for it. Mind literally boggles.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3213 on: August 03, 2021, 06:55:41 PM »
This lad will sit on his contract and walk away for nothing and get praised for it. Mind literally boggles.
Perfectly entitled to do that if he wants to. Nothing for your mind to be boggled about.
Still more than a 50% chance that he will leave though.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3214 on: August 03, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
Perfectly entitled to do that if he wants to. Nothing for your mind to be boggled about.
Still more than a 50% chance that he will leave though.

The praise part I take issue with... a far more mercenary stance than a player who will see the club reimbursed for their services...

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3215 on: August 03, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »
The praise part I take issue with... a far more mercenary stance than a player who will see the club reimbursed for their services...

It’s not his fault if nobody wishes to buy him..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3216 on: August 03, 2021, 07:09:13 PM »
He signed a contract for a certain number of years. He has no obligations after that expires. He'll be on championship wages if he stays. To say that this is more mercenary than someone basically refusing to play when he is still under contract in order to force a move to make more money for himself is bizarre. A truly selfless stance from MP haha.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3217 on: August 03, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
Nothing to say that if no one buys him WBA say “ok Sam here is a new 3 year contract with a clause in “no promotion and we get an offer of X we will let you go with our best wishes”
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3218 on: August 03, 2021, 07:39:49 PM »
It’s not his fault if nobody wishes to buy him..

We shall have to wait and see how it plays out but if nobody comes in for him it would speak volumes about how highly rated he really is, or not, within the game. Fingers crossed Arsenal lose patience trying to sign Ramsdale, or Foster gets injured etc and somebody like Watford need a quick fix. It might well be that a few clubs are interested in him but not until they offload a few players first to comply with FFP etc. Transfers are one huge pyramid scheme.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3219 on: August 03, 2021, 08:59:29 PM »
Its a no lose situation for him, he can walk away next season, as someone said its not his fault just terrible management by you know who.
im not surprised no one has tried very hard to sign him for the fee that we want and we could eventually settle for a much lower figure and I think the other clubs know it.
8 Million on the last day of the window is my prediction .
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3220 on: August 03, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
Which would be a fair price, regardless of the England call up.  Wonderful shot stopper behind a terrible defence but just don't see the all round game to get the big bucks.  Still gave me the heebies at times last year.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3221 on: August 03, 2021, 10:01:14 PM »
Will this put into his mind, that he is not as valuable as his agents thinks.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3222 on: August 03, 2021, 10:11:17 PM »
Will this put into his mind, that he is not as valuable as his agents thinks.

No but the club will regret turning down that £11 million bid... Dreadful decision. He will now go for nothing... Or worse case scenario, sign a new contract and we're lumbered with him for another 3 years.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3223 on: August 03, 2021, 10:16:03 PM »
No but the club will regret turning down that £11 million bid... Dreadful decision. He will now go for nothing... Or worse case scenario, sign a new contract and we're lumbered with him for another 3 years.

Has there been an £11m bid? The West Ham bid has been reported in the local press as actually less than £6m.
Boing Boing

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3224 on: August 03, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
Has there been an £11m bid? The West Ham bid has been reported in the local press as actually less than £6m.

I am certainly not aware of an 11m bid but maybe I am wrong?