Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668165 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #3125 on: July 16, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »
Club must believe that they can get near to the £20 million valuation or that Sam might sign new deal. Outside pundits like me know naff all, so we will have to wait and see.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3126 on: July 19, 2021, 04:17:58 PM »
WHU may come back with a 2nd bid as Areolas wage demands are stupid apparently and giving them 2nd thoughts. Info from ex-whu employee who's pretty accurate normally

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3127 on: July 21, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »
Talksport reporting Arsenal have settled on Ramsdale over Johnstone and will make a £30m bid. Astounded really, £30m for a second choice GK. How Sheff Utd are going to make a £12m profit on a player their fans slated all season is beyond me.

Hope it isn’t true.

The market for Johnstone closing, I still think making £8m is good business.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3128 on: July 21, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »
Talksport reporting Arsenal have settled on Ramsdale over Johnstone and will make a £30m bid. Astounded really, £30m for a second choice GK. How Sheff Utd are going to make a £12m profit on a player their fans slated all season is beyond me.

Hope it isn’t true.

Arsenal never cease to amaze.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3129 on: July 21, 2021, 02:20:10 PM »

Hope it isn’t true.

If Armadale is worth £30m, even though he’s a few years younger than Johnstone surely SJ has to be worth more than £8m. I guess the one year on his contract weakens our negotiations?

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3130 on: July 21, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
£30m for Ramsdale is insanity. Lad always looks on the verge of tears. Nowhere near as good as SJ. Been relegated two years running as well, I think?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3131 on: July 21, 2021, 07:36:46 PM »
On the rejected West Ham Johnstone bid, Masi reported it was slightly less than £6m. Considering what we paid for him, that does feel very cheeky.
Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #3132 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:17 AM »
Arsenal are on cloud cuckoo land - You can get Johnstone for half the price and out of the two I know which one I prefer. Ramsdale had an awful season last year.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3133 on: July 22, 2021, 08:52:26 AM »
The absolute best report I have seen behind a paywall so I only saw the headline from the Times is "Blades reject revised Ramsdale bid, looking for £32m"

We are talking arguably the worst keeper in the League for the last two seasons Sheffield United paid £18m for him and all involved in that purchase should be a laughing stock forever, but wait.

Arsenal "hold my beer, £30m for your boy Ramsdale"

I'd like to think that Prince Abdullah took the call on a Gold plated phone handed to him by a servant and said "It's Arsenal they are dumber than the average camel tell them £32m and I'm letting them off lightly"

Over here boys Johnstone £20m bargain he also has a British passport better keeper nothing not to like. No, guess you are dumber than the average camel.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3134 on: July 22, 2021, 11:34:45 AM »
There must be a good reason why they prefer Ramsdale. Perhaps their goal keeping coach prefers a keeper who is competent in the 18 yard box, rather than one who is brilliant but only in his 2 yard box.

Having said that, they sold Martinez to Villa who his twice as good as both of them.  So how good is their analyst?

I think Southgate likes players who are in good form (not a bad strategy), but buying clubs analyse carefully historical performance.  On that basis, no one should be paying £10m + for SJ in the last year of his contract.  If Ken can pull it off, it would be a major coup, but I expect circa £7m.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3135 on: July 22, 2021, 11:45:17 AM »
From what I can gather, Ramsdale had a good second half of the season. He is younger, has the potential for resale and more room to grow than Johnstone. All being equal, I'd go Ramsdale over Johnstone.

At £30m though, everything i've said there is blown out of the water. I'd take Johnstone at £8m-£10m rather than Ramsdale at £30m.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3136 on: July 22, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »
Athletic article saying we have dropped the 20m tag sensibly. Looking for around 12m now.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3137 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
Athletic article saying we have dropped the 20m tag sensibly. Looking for around 12m now.

Hopefully we'll stick to the £12M which isn't bad for a player in the last year of their contract, considering the potential fee for Ramsdale.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3138 on: July 22, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »
Hopefully we'll stick to the £12M which isn't bad for a player in the last year of their contract, considering the potential fee for Ramsdale.

If Ramsdale is 30m rejcted asking for 32m then 10-12m is fair for SJ with 1 year left on his contract.

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3139 on: July 22, 2021, 01:28:36 PM »
His shot stopping has been really impressive, granted he probably faced a larger number of shots relative to other keepers but he did step up last season and deserved the spot in the England squad.

12 million is a good price to receive for a keeper of his level with a year left on the contract when all things are considered.

Has his limitations such as commanding the area and coming out for crosses. I think we’ll be fine without him but it’s the replacement that’s going to be key haven’t seen too much or Button but wouldn’t want to rely on him as number 1

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3140 on: July 22, 2021, 01:29:30 PM »
The absolute best report I have seen behind a paywall so I only saw the headline from the Times is "Blades reject revised Ramsdale bid, looking for £32m"

We are talking arguably the worst keeper in the League for the last two seasons Sheffield United paid £18m for him and all involved in that purchase should be a laughing stock forever, but wait.

Arsenal "hold my beer, £30m for your boy Ramsdale"

I'd like to think that Prince Abdullah took the call on a Gold plated phone handed to him by a servant and said "It's Arsenal they are dumber than the average camel tell them £32m and I'm letting them off lightly"

Over here boys Johnstone £20m bargain he also has a British passport better keeper nothing not to like. No, guess you are dumber than the average camel.

Not remotely true, he's just won back to back player of the seasons.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3141 on: July 22, 2021, 02:17:49 PM »
Not remotely true, he's just won back to back player of the seasons.
Chris Basham was their player of the year 2020.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3142 on: July 22, 2021, 02:22:11 PM »
I think he won YPOTY in 19/20 and POTY in 20/21, he's a baggies fan anyway so he is worth the £30m  ;D
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3143 on: July 22, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
Maybe he will find a better keeping coach who sort out his shortcomings.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3144 on: July 22, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »

Ramsdale was at Bournemouth in 2020.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3145 on: July 22, 2021, 05:54:21 PM »
Football 365 is citing various "reports" that West Ham have offered £11m for Johnstone.

Assuming it's true and the deal offered is structured agreeably, I'd be accepting that all day long. We can't be dithering with our preparations if we want to go back up this season, and this money would help to bring in more than one player that we're really in need of.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:56:26 PM by WorcsWBA »

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3146 on: July 22, 2021, 06:04:30 PM »
Regrettably one of the sources is dear old football insider therefore has zero basis in reality this may come to pass but that will be wholly coincidental and should not be seen as evidence that football insider knows anything.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3147 on: July 22, 2021, 08:48:21 PM »
Regrettably one of the sources is dear old football insider therefore has zero basis in reality this may come to pass but that will be wholly coincidental and should not be seen as evidence that football insider knows anything.

Anything North of ten is a no-brainer for me.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3148 on: July 24, 2021, 05:00:08 PM »
Spurs have signed Gollini, once of Villa and more recently Atalanta. Probably will be number two to Lloris for this season.

Scratch Spurs off thenlsit for possible destinations for Sam

He/him

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3149 on: July 24, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
It's really closing up for him now. There will still be clubs out there but we need to be careful not to price him out of a move. Then again, you would think there would be atleast 1 club interested given the fact it isn't a huge fee.
Boing Boing