Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662406 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1025 on: January 01, 2020, 08:55:52 PM »
Just not good enough.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1026 on: January 01, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »
The bigger the game the more he panics, massively got away with the one where he tried to play football he was turning into trouble and was fortunate it went out for a goal kick. You can tell the defence in front of him don’t have full confidence in him. Very frustrating as he has the tools to be a decent keeper his decision making really let’s him down, you feel there’s at least 2 or 3 times in a match where he makes the wrong choice.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1027 on: January 01, 2020, 09:51:41 PM »
The bigger the game the more he panics, massively got away with the one where he tried to play football he was turning into trouble and was fortunate it went out for a goal kick. You can tell the defence in front of him don’t have full confidence in him. Very frustrating as he has the tools to be a decent keeper his decision making really let’s him down, you feel there’s at least 2 or 3 times in a match where he makes the wrong choice.

What, arms and legs?! They've all got them. He's not good enough, simple as that. I panicked constantly watching the game tonight. Kicking was horrendous, decision making poor, doesn't command his box and has been beaten from distance so many times. I'd put up with him until the end of the season but if we go up a GK is a number 1 priority.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1028 on: January 01, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
What, arms and legs?! They've all got them. He's not good enough, simple as that. I panicked constantly watching the game tonight. Kicking was horrendous, decision making poor, doesn't command his box and has been beaten from distance so many times. I'd put up with him until the end of the season but if we go up a GK is a number 1 priority.
I’d actually say he needs to come out now....for him, for the defence and before the fans really turn.
I’m assuming he went off without clapping because he knew he had a bad match..
I don’t hate the guy, and I’ve said recently some point saving matches, but the errors and the failure of the basics cannot continue
Jacko’s stat on clean sheets is stunning.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: January 01, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »
He was terrible today, then sloped straight off at FT without acknowledging the fans
We desperately need a replacement and some clean sheets

Yeah I noticed that. Bilic looked like he was giving him an earful after one of his many wayward goal kicks too. Didn't seem in a good mood at all for the second half. Not the first time I've seen other members of the team getting annoyed with him.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 10:01:27 PM by TheBrom »

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1030 on: January 01, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »

Absolutely he’l do until the end of the season if we go up he’l get found out in the premier league, he’s not really good enough for top half championship let alone the premier league. The comment about him having the tools to be a good keeper is correct his shot stopping ability is actually very good but like someone else said that’s only half of what a goalkeeper is suppose to do and unfortunately he’s a liability when it comes to the other side. 

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1031 on: January 03, 2020, 11:51:07 PM »
Here’s a way to think about SJ.

Imagine If SJ was playing for another championship side instead of us.

However, with the benefit of our knowledge of his strengths & weaknesses, how many of us would be happy to sign him now for the same fee we actually paid for him?

I am, sorry to say, not convinced about SJ & would not want to sign him, but what do others think? Would you sign him or not?

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1032 on: January 04, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Benefits outweigh the negatives right now. Age is a big plus, he ain't perfect but he's ours.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1033 on: January 04, 2020, 10:56:21 PM »
Benefits outweigh the negatives right now. Age is a big plus, he ain't perfect but he's ours.

What benefits?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1034 on: January 04, 2020, 11:12:58 PM »

What benefits?

He's a good keeper but he's still at the same level as when he came to us there hasn't been any progress in his development. That's a big issue for him & is coach

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1035 on: January 05, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »

Still the best keeper in this country outside of the premier league for me at the moment.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1036 on: January 05, 2020, 09:54:58 AM »
Teams he has played for have twice made the play offs and now sit in automatic promotion place, that suggests he is plenty good enough for this standard. IMO to get a consistent upgrade would prove very difficult without wasting a loan place
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: January 05, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
Still the best keeper in this country outside of the premier league for me at the moment.
Good enough at the moment .I certainly wouldn't be going out to buy another keeper at this stage. I have seen Bond a few times and I don't think he is as good, and I question whether some of those who would prefer Bond, have actually seen him play.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1038 on: January 05, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »

He's not the best keeper at the club and I've seen double figures better than him play against us this season.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1039 on: January 05, 2020, 12:20:24 PM »
Wow
“Best outside the prem” & “got two teams in to the play offs”

Not the keeper I have been watching
Have a look on YouTube at the Bristol city game last season at Ashton gate ...that’s just one game
He never comes of his line , he gets beat from 25yds too often, the defence don’t trust him.
Serious question, the people that keep blindly defending him...do you think it will make him a better keeper ?...do you not care that we get promotion?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1040 on: January 05, 2020, 12:25:48 PM »
Not the best keeper outside the PL. No way.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1041 on: January 05, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »
He’s not the best outside the premier league, no way. He is however the best one currently with our club. That is a definite. Let’s wait until the summer, then act.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1042 on: January 05, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
He's Scott Carson for the 2020's.

Think back to when he was in goal - we even had a member say they hoped he came back with another team and kept a clean sheet, just to spite those of us who didn't think he was very good.

We can all see when we have a good keeper (Foster, Hoult) and all see when we have a bad one (too many to mention), but Johnstone occupies the inbetween - good enough for where we are, but not good enough for where we want to be.

If we want to move the team forward, we'll have to get rid. However I think the amount of money we paid for him will see us persevere until, like with Carson, he becomes a proven liability.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: January 06, 2020, 09:18:03 AM »
If we get promoted I'd see if Vorm fancied leaving Tottenhams bench for first team football or a more far fetched one I'd see what Adrian is on at Liverpool then see if it's match able and give him first team football. Johnstone has improved on last season but he still isn't great. He is one of the few players in this side who if they were to leave tomorrow I wouldn't be gutted about

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: January 06, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
I would say Johnstone's saves this season have won us more points than his errors have cost us, he has improved massively on last season.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1045 on: January 06, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »
Im completely unconvinced by Johnstone...ive seen him have some absolute belting games and then get beat by the easiest of shots.

Ive never been happy with a keeper who isnt a commanding presence in the box.

He has won or saved us a few points though this season but I think there is better out there, some of these championship keepers look good if im honest

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1046 on: January 06, 2020, 10:06:45 AM »
Im completely unconvinced by Johnstone...ive seen him have some absolute belting games and then get beat by the easiest of shots.

Ive never been happy with a keeper who isnt a commanding presence in the box.

He has won or saved us a few points though this season but I think there is better out there, some of these championship keepers look good if im honest
There is always better out there........

There is better than Austin, Kanu but its who we have and they are doing a job

There is better than Matt Phillips, better than Townsend, better than Bartley, the list could go on.

For me SJ is more than playing his part, he has the second best save rate in the league so as part of the team that is joint top he is more than playing his part, all keepers make errors and SJ makes a lot but he also makes up for it with some unbelievable match winning saves.
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1047 on: January 06, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
I think at times you have to look at where you are, we're a club at the top end of the Champ which is where Johnstone spent the 3 seasons.

In his time at the villa he kept more clean sheets than any other keeper, yes he had John Terry in front of him for a spell but it can't all be down to Terry can it? At times the keeper gets the blame when those in front of him are at fault.

He is what he is, a top end Championship keeper, he ain't going nowhere and he ain't as bad as he is made out to be at times.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1048 on: January 06, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »
Johnstone nominated for PFA player of the month, he made 31 saves in December.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/january/johnstone-up-for-december-award/

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1049 on: January 06, 2020, 11:53:08 AM »
Johnstone nominated for PFA player of the month, he made 31 saves in December.

https://www.wba.co.uk/news/2020/january/johnstone-up-for-december-award/

Blimey  :o
I'm staggered
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'