Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662126 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »
Disappointing to read on the villa forum from multiple posters that he is poor on crosses and his distribution is dire! Many of those posts are before he was linked with us so not sour grapes. He has big shoes to fill to replace Foster.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2018, 07:07:21 PM »
Disappointing to read on the villa forum from multiple posters that he is poor on crosses and his distribution is dire! Many of those posts are before he was linked with us so not sour grapes. He has big shoes to fill to replace Foster.

I'd take supporters views on players with a pinch of salt, there are a few on here that don't rate Foster. His stats from last season made him the best keeper in the Championship and he kept something like 20 clean sheets in 44 games.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
I'd take supporters views on players with a pinch of salt, there are a few on here that don't rate Foster. His stats from last season made him the best keeper in the Championship and he kept something like 20 clean sheets in 44 games.

It's a nice stat but I always think clean sheets mostly point towards good defending rather than a great goalkeeper, which is what I'd expect with any Steve Bruce side in the Championship, I'm sure his Hull side would have had similar numbers too.

That said, it's hardly a bad thing and does show he's probably got something about him.
I heard from a few Doncaster fans that he was excellent when he was there and their reviews were glowing so there is that too.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »

His distribution is actually horrific. Easily the weakest area of his game.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2018, 09:51:14 PM »
I never stop being amazed on this forum - not necessarily this topic - at how some people know so much about every aspect of players that they only watch on TV, or in some cases not at all.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
I haven't seen him play very much but for him to have been at United, represented the England youth teams, had two fairly successful seasons at Villa in the Championship all by the time he is 25 says that there could well be a decent player there. There has been mention of a few weaknesses highlighted by Villa fans and I'm sure there are however I'm not overly concerned as he is only 25 (although poor technique is a concern - a harder skill to improve with age). Look at Carson, terrible for us however a good few years later and he is looking superb for Derby. It can take time for improvement to come so if Johnstone is good at the moment and can go on to be very good, I'd be very happy with that.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
Hopefully he keeps on improving. I think it's a good signing given his age and experience. He needs to hit the ground running and with the state of our squad I'm not sure we are going to be as defensively solid as Villa were last season. Can cope with the fact he can't kick the ball but he needs to come off his loan and claim crosses, can't be a quality goalkeeper if you can't command your box.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:40 AM »
It's a nice stat but I always think clean sheets mostly point towards good defending rather than a great goalkeeper, which is what I'd expect with any Steve Bruce side in the Championship, I'm sure his Hull side would have had similar numbers too.

That said, it's hardly a bad thing and does show he's probably got something about him.
I heard from a few Doncaster fans that he was excellent when he was there and their reviews were glowing so there is that too.

It's not just the clean sheets though to be honest. I posted his stats on the new goalkeeper thread a  couple of weeks ago. If poor distribution is his only real weakness then he won't be much different to Foster.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
It's not just the clean sheets though to be honest. I posted his stats on the new goalkeeper thread a  couple of weeks ago. If poor distribution is his only real weakness then he won't be much different to Foster.

Only he has 10 years to improve on all them stats.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
And working with a coach (Neil Cutler) who knows him and who he (SJ) respects will take stuff on board.

Although the Pardew thing may have clouded it, I thought Foster improved after we appointed NC as goalkeeping coach so hopefully Sam can do likewise

tucka9

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2018, 09:34:43 AM »
When you see another young English goalkeeper Angus Gunn going to Southampton for £13.5 million, we could have had a right bargain if Johnstone excels.

colinmax

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
I think he is a good keeper and once again against Blackburn he saved a one on one.
Against Bristol City his quick release was instrumental in two of our goals.
However I am worried that he is going to lose his confidence over when and how to release the ball.
Yesterday he must have  stood still for a minute waiting to take a goal kick and ended up getting booed by his own fans.
Then when holding the ball he only has 6 seconds to release the ball but this rule is seldom applied but he must have held the ball for about 30 seconds and I can not believe that the referee did not give an indirect kick in the area.

The coaching staff must sort this out before he is destroyed.

lindenbaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
I think he is a good keeper and once again against Blackburn he saved a one on one.
Against Bristol City his quick release was instrumental in two of our goals.
However I am worried that he is going to lose his confidence over when and how to release the ball.
Yesterday he must have  stood still for a minute waiting to take a goal kick and ended up getting booed by his own fans.
Then when holding the ball he only has 6 seconds to release the ball but this rule is seldom applied but he must have held the ball for about 30 seconds and I can not believe that the referee did not give an indirect kick in the area.

The coaching staff must sort this out before he is destroyed.

There's no point in him kicking it long as nine times out of ten we lose possession. He has no choice really but to try and find someone to pass to. He's getting hammered for obeying instructions, which isn't fair.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

I'm beginning to agree with this.

Distribution is poor and needs some work.

Luckily Johnstone has plenty of time on his side to develop.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Not been able to watch every game, so can't say, but going by games I have seen he seems like a shy goalkeeper. Rarely hear him shouting or commanding his box and seems reluctant to come off his line. A number of times when the ball has been played through there is that reluctance and there's some confusion between him and the defender before it is cleared.

All-round Gks are a rare breed. Even Petr Cech, whom I highly rate, has made some howlers.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
This is a young keeper both in terms of age and experience.  Fozie was/is a top top keeper who is still performing at the right end of the Premier League into his mid thirties.  No where near the finished article but the kid does have something about him.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:31:14 PM by Oldbury24 »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2018, 07:03:11 PM »
This is a young keeper both in terms of age and experience.  Fozie was/is a top top keeper who is still performing at the right end of the Premier League into his mid thirties.  No where near the finished article but the kid does have something about him.

I thought Johnstone was going to be the first goalkeeper ever to be booked for wasting his own teams time on Saturday.

He's unflappable, I'll give him that, never lets anything get to him.

He's a good goalkeeper but in goalkeeping terms he's young, he will only improve with experience. I actually think his distribution is fine, it's his decision making that is his biggest Achilles heal at the moment.

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2018, 08:01:10 AM »

I thought Johnstone was going to be the first goalkeeper ever to be booked for wasting his own teams time

Surely Foster got close under Pulis?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2018, 06:22:07 PM »
Surely Foster got close under Pulis?
Now there's a rumour 💕
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
Sam looking much more confident behind the present back four
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »
Sam looking much more confident behind the present back four

Everyone is looking much more confident. The only people the new system doesn't ideally suit are Dwight Gayle and maybe Wes Hoolahan, everyone else looks all the better for it.

Johnstone can count himself very unlucky not to have two clean sheets from the last two games.

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
Johnstone can count himself very unlucky not to have two clean sheets from the last two games.

Not through anything he has done though, still scares me and more scared of crosses than Dracula.

BUT

He is still young and will improve (hopefully) with the amount of game time he is getting. Remain unconvinced at present, but we'll see!
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
Not through anything he has done though, still scares me and more scared of crosses than Dracula.

BUT

He is still young and will improve (hopefully) with the amount of game time he is getting. Remain unconvinced at present, but we'll see!

I would disagree, I thought he has looked better on crosses the past few weeks, has come and collected some and ran down the clock when needed.

More than happy with him in the sticks, as someone mentioned above, can count himself very unlucky to not have a couple of cleansheets the last 2 games.

Fingers crossed he gets one tonight.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2018, 02:53:20 PM »

BUT

Back in the day we said the same about Dicky (Richard) Shepard but he was still a top keeper.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »
I would disagree, I thought he has looked better on crosses the past few weeks, has come and collected some and ran down the clock when needed.

More than happy with him in the sticks, as someone mentioned above, can count himself very unlucky to not have a couple of cleansheets the last 2 games.

Fingers crossed he gets one tonight.
There’s a difference between running down the clock (while looking like you’re doing something), and obviously standing around wasting time. It’s a fine art. I’ve got it off to a tee. ☺️
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.