Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 675985 times)

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #2825 on: May 17, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
No wool involved. Just trying to introduce some balance into proceedings. Do you blame them all on him ??

I went into this season thinking we needed a new keeper like most people, but I think some aren't open to changing their opinions. Him and Pereira have been our stand out players this year easily...

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2826 on: May 17, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
You can visibly see that SJ for the first time is full of confidence and self belief.  These are critical attributes and when gone, can change a Carson into a Carson or a Hart into a Hart etc.  So for me the last few weeks he's looking more the player the pundits revere.  However, I still think he's got a 'glass jaw'.  Bring in fans and bigger club pressures and he'll crumble.   Of course we will see.... and I wish him no ill.

Having said all that, despite his improved form I still watch how the opposition keepers look so much more assured.  When Pereira whips a ball under the crossbar Alisson, Martinez, Pope etc etc catch or punch the ball 9 times out of 10.  Timid SJ stands on his line waiting to make the reflex save of the season!  Hence the goals keep flying in!

I would take the money we paid and replace him without hesitation.

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2827 on: May 17, 2021, 11:20:39 AM »
I went into this season thinking we needed a new keeper like most people, but I think some aren't open to changing their opinions. Him and Pereira have been our stand out players this year easily...

My opinion of him has changed. I wouldn’t go as far as to say I rated him incredibly highly in the first place, but I cut him a fair amount of slack for the goals conceded during the ill-fated 3 at the back formation used in the 18/19 season. With that being said, having watched him during the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons respectively, I’ll be glad when he’s gone. Yes, the lads a decent shot-stopper, but he doesn’t command his area and is beaten from distance too easily.

He may very well go on and become a solid goal keeper in the Premier League after he leaves us in the summer. But over the past 4 years he’s averaged 54 goals conceded a season. Not great is it.

Take the money and reinvest!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:03:20 PM by PartisanBaggie »

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2828 on: May 17, 2021, 06:34:22 PM »
The levels of negativity towards Sam are well...strange. Did you see Henderson for United against Liverpool ? If Sam produced a display like that this thread would be in meltdown. De Gea and Henderson between them (or individually) have made multiple times as many mistakes as Sam. Plenty of mistakes among the other keepers this year also. Foster good keeper but he made mistakes. We seem to expect perfection.

The amount of vitriol aimed at SJ is incredible. As I said in the Conor Townsend thread, a lot of posters on here seem to expect the talent, experience and ability of players far above our position in the league hierarchy. We really need to remember to not let perfection be the enemy of good.

As for SJ being labelled a "bang average premiership keeper", well considering we're far below even the level of "bang average premiership", is that really a negative?

Our fanbase were spoilt by having Foster for so long. Getting some who is not as good, but still "average" has caused some folks to just take against SJ.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2829 on: May 17, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »
I think vitriol's a bit strong to be honest. Yes he's come in for criticism at times, even this season, but for the most part he's had a lot of positive support in recent months in particular. Most of the debate seems to centre around the size of any fee he may attract as opposed to vitriol.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2830 on: May 17, 2021, 07:38:43 PM »
I think vitriol's a bit strong to be honest. Yes he's come in for criticism at times, even this season, but for the most part he's had a lot of positive support in recent months in particular. Most of the debate seems to centre around the size of any fee he may attract as opposed to vitriol.

Sam still pulling the wool this morning I see, what's that now? 70 conceded.

No he ain't he's bang average can't wait for him to be gone

If we make a profit on this guy it will be a blessing and can't come soon enough for me

The best way to solve the enigma that is SJ, is to sell him pdq for as. much as we can get.

Yeah he saved his first 3 penalties he faced. Sadly didn't save any that really mattered in the POs.

Just from the last three pages. I mean,  if you go back to last season, it gets even worse. He's maligned by a very vocal section of supporters, unfairly.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2831 on: May 17, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »

Just from the last three pages. I mean,  if you go back to last season, it gets even worse. He's maligned by a very vocal section of supporters, unfairly.

In fairness there were times in his first two seasons when he was utterly bog. I was among his critics and I make absolutely no apology for any comments that I made because I felt they were measured and an accurate portrayal of what I had witnessed.

Some do criticise too harshly at times in my opinion. Likewise some posters are overly harsh on other players at times. But that's their opinion just like your observations are your own. Just because an opinion is harsh doesn't mean it's vitriolic.

Unwarranted bitterness is something else though and I don't see too much of that. Blimey, we've got posters who think we can get £30,000,000 for Sam and Kyle Bartley combined! Now that's a train of thought I have serious difficulty following.

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2832 on: May 17, 2021, 11:41:38 PM »
A fantastic keeper.

He's up for player of the season in a side that have conceded SEVENTY goals. Tells you all you need to know.

He'll go onto far better things he's season and we'll benefit which suits both parties.

Great to see on of our players excell.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2833 on: May 18, 2021, 07:32:53 AM »
In fairness there were times in his first two seasons when he was utterly bog. I was among his critics and I make absolutely no apology for any comments that I made because I felt they were measured and an accurate portrayal of what I had witnessed.

Some do criticise too harshly at times in my opinion. Likewise some posters are overly harsh on other players at times. But that's their opinion just like your observations are your own. Just because an opinion is harsh doesn't mean it's vitriolic.

Unwarranted bitterness is something else though and I don't see too much of that. Blimey, we've got posters who think we can get £30,000,000 for Sam and Kyle Bartley combined! Now that's a train of thought I have serious difficulty following.

True, there's no way we're selling SJ for £29,999,999.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2834 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:09 AM »
He's definitely had a decent season, to a point, but his frailties are still clear to see. Glued to his line, poor with shots from distance, bottles balls into the box. What this season has done is highlight his close range shot stopping, which has been exceptional. He has had a lot of practice but, to be fair, it would have been more than 70 conceded without some of his saves.

Don't, therefore, think he's improved that much overall, just that this year has accentuated the positive elements of his game.

Personally, I think he'll carve out a good career, but will always struggle with the weaker parts of his game so, don't think criticism is unfair, but we should acknowledge his contribution.

Time to cash in without doubt.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2835 on: May 18, 2021, 10:13:11 AM »
He has improved a LOT this season, but the 2 glaring deficiencies remain,
a) command of the 6 yard box, he is NOT a dominant force in his area.
b) reluctance to come and catch high balls into the box, he will stick to his line too much and if he does come prefers to punch the ball away.

The game in the cup when Button came in and caught the ball regularly was so starkly different it was shocking.

Gone from a 5/10 to a solid 7/10 for me.

(i should add that I worry about his communication but not attending games its hard to say if thats improved, it needed to.)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2836 on: May 19, 2021, 11:14:49 PM »
He has improved but still falls short on the basics a little too often. Has had some good games and made some great saves though. If the fee is big enough then probably not too difficult to replace Thanks Sam onwards and upwards

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2837 on: May 20, 2021, 12:19:39 AM »
He has certainly improved on scooping the ball up after his a Huddersfield debacle.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2838 on: May 20, 2021, 12:25:15 AM »
West Ham’s second goal from the corner was in his six yard box. Nick Pope catches that effortlessly all day long. This is the difference. Then how about his positioning and freezing when Cresswell hit the post from 40 yards and almost caught him out. In his favour I think he’s excellent with the ball at his feet and has extremely sharp reflexes from point blank range.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:30:37 AM by baggie82 »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2839 on: May 20, 2021, 01:04:31 AM »
We saw some of his worst today. He got nothing but support too from the fans...
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2840 on: May 21, 2021, 03:17:32 AM »
BBC Gossip column linking him with West Ham as back-up/competition to/for Fabianski... doesn't shout 8 figures to me tbh.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2841 on: May 21, 2021, 07:46:08 AM »
West Ham’s second goal from the corner was in his six yard box. Nick Pope catches that effortlessly all day long. This is the difference. Then how about his positioning and freezing when Cresswell hit the post from 40 yards and almost caught him out. In his favour I think he’s excellent with the ball at his feet and has extremely sharp reflexes from point blank range.
lad was blocked off Okay and Gallagher totally at fault.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2842 on: May 21, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
lad was blocked off Okay and Gallagher totally at fault.

Flatten the obstacle (ours or theirs) and worry about the consequences when appropriate.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2843 on: May 21, 2021, 08:46:58 PM »
A fantastic keeper.

He's up for player of the season in a side that have conceded SEVENTY goals. Tells you all you need to know.

He'll go onto far better things he's season and we'll benefit which suits both parties.

Great to see on of our players excell.
Timmy mallet was at number one in the charts once.....great musician?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2844 on: May 21, 2021, 11:16:54 PM »
Timmy mallet was at number one in the charts once.....great musician?

Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini was a classic.

That lad took dog's abuse last season but some of themselves he's made this one at a higher level have saved us points.

Let's see where he is next season. I wish him all the best as one of the success stories this season.

viaductbaggies

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2845 on: May 22, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »
Let’s hope he goes ASAP he’s rubbish

Just watch him on corners stands static flat footed on his line watching opposing players head towards goal 4 -6 yards out should be coming and collecting those balls he gets a slightest touch and he would get a free kick

viaductbaggies

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2846 on: May 22, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
No he ain't he's bang average can't wait for him to be gone.

Agree I wouldn’t even go as far as average he’s poor in my eyes

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2847 on: May 22, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »
Agree I wouldn’t even go as far as average he’s poor in my eyes

He's about 6ft 3in.

You must have very big eyes you funny looking fugger  ;D .

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2848 on: May 22, 2021, 05:30:58 PM »
I think we have a ready made replacement in Alex Palmer. Looked very solid after the opening 10mins where he may have been a little nervous - probably the biggest game of his career to date.

I think Sam is an average keeper and that’s it so let’s take the money and move on. Will be useful funds to spend in other areas. It’s clever business to cash in on players when their stock is high.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2849 on: May 22, 2021, 06:03:18 PM »
People say he has improved and he has. But don't forget he had no crowds on his back. As soon as the crowds come back and get on his back he will fall apart. Remember Scott Carson who the fans forced out!