Author Topic: Albion open contract talks with 5 players  (Read 37618 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Albion open contract talks with 5 players
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
In a timely article after some were wondering about it on here John Percy is reporting we are in negotiations with Dawson, Morrison, Sessegnon, McAuley and Olsson over new deals.

I certainly would be keen on Morrison but the rest should at the very least be questioned.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Albion open contract talks with 5 players
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »
100% wouldn't offer new contracts to GMac and Olsson. Time to move on now surely?
Smethwick..

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:41:35 PM »
I'd offer Morrison and Sessegnon slightly reduced terms, while I can't shake the feeling that there is a premier league ceentre-half somewhere in Craig Dawson.

McAuley and Olsson though should be moved on.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
I'd keep Morisson and definitely Sess.  Dawson has done ok and can always cover at CH.  I'd be tempted to keep GMac and\or Olsson as back up.  If we got rid of both of those we'd only have Evans and Chester with question marks on Chester so we'd need to replace them.  I can see us bringing in one CH as first choice alongside Evans but not two. 

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »
McAuley and Olsson should be moved on.

People keep moaning that it isn't Pulis's fault that we have an ageing squad, I said weeks ago that he rated Olsson highly and we would be offering him a new deal, people didn't buy it. Stupid move, our backline needs refreshing yet we are offering new deals to a 36 year old and a 33 year old.
"This crack is really moreish."

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »
Olsson is finished at this level but McAuley has proven again this season that he is still quality.  The only problem is that he seems to be in the way of Dawsons progression into the centre back role.

Dawson and Morrison without doubt should be kept on but Sess hasn't done enough consistantly to deserve another contract.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
McAuley and Olsson should be moved on.

People keep moaning that it isn't Pulis's fault that we have an ageing squad, I said weeks ago that he rated Olsson highly and we would be offering him a new deal, people didn't buy it. Stupid move, our backline needs refreshing yet we are offering new deals to a 36 year old and a 33 year old.

I completely agree. However so much work will be required on the rest of the squad I think we'll end up keeping all 5.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:12:11 PM »
I think I'd keep them all, GMac probably only a year & Olsson two years max.

If we can move Poco & Gamboa, that would give us scope to improve the back line & still have experienced back up.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
Keep Morrison and Dawson. Get rid of the others.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I think I'd keep them all, GMac probably only a year & Olsson two years max.

If we can move Poco & Gamboa, that would give us scope to improve the back line & still have experienced back up.
On the right deal and as fringe players im ok with it but we must have younger , good on the ball players injected into that squad.

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:21:05 PM »
The way I feel about the whole squad at present I would let every one of them go !!!
In reality
GMac I would give one more year to
Olsson I would let leave. He was desperate to play for a London club a few years ago but now he isn't good enough for a prem team he wants to stay here on 40k per week!
Sess- I like Sess but we need players with end product so let him go (borderline)
Dawson-can go for me. There are better centre halfs and right backs out there
Morrison-tricky one but has too many poor spells for me
I look at it this way. What other premier league teams would they move to. If the answer is none then we should not renew their contracts

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »
Keep Morrison and Dawson. Get rid of the others.

I think those two are the most obvious to keep.

People say Olsson is past it but I actually think he was our best player against Swansea. Still been shaky on a few too many occassions, I think McAuley is starting to look past it, Sess did his usual come back in to the team and play well for 3/4 games then go back to dross.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
Also glad to see we haven't opened negotiations with Victor

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 01:24:34 PM »
Assuming we are entering into those talks in good faith we must already have made the decision to keep them at least in principle and this would only be done if Pulis thinks they have a future at the club. So for instance VIc is not getting a new contract so there are no talks with him.

Dawson still has sometime left on his existing contract so whether he signs a new deal or not he could still be with us at the start of next season. You could make a case for not keeping any of those whose contracts expire this summer but that's gone the decision has been made all that remains is for the players to agree terms or chose move on. Assuming they all sign up this aging squad has just got older.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
 We dont need to keep all 3 of McAuley,Dawson and Olsson, Morrison and Sess  i would offer new contracts to but if better options became available may be prepared to listen to offers for either
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
I think we need to make sure we don't go down the route we took when Mel left, we tried the clean sweep tactic then & tried to replace 10 players, far too many.

The team needs to evolve, personally, I would move on 2 or 3 who can't get near the side at the moment, & replace them with players who would expect to be certain starters.

I think, if Pulis is still here, they also need to make sure that who we bring in will be comfortable in working in a "managed" format.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »
For me it's all about our wage bill, so for me it's bye bye to all but GMac on a year deal, and Dawson, I don't think Mozza will sign a new deal, I feel Sess is not justifying his wages compared to what he brings to the team, would replace him with Roberts and Leko.

Tbh, in my squad both GMac and Dawson are back up to Evans and another
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:47:33 PM by WestBromJim »
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
Keep Morrison and Dawson. McAuley and Olsson either need to be gone or made aware that we are going to strengthen in their position.

Not sure on Sess, he's something different but at 32 we need someone younger, plus I bet he's on a fair bit.

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »
Personally I would see anything over a year for any of Olsson, McAuley and Sessegnon very poor business.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:46 PM »
Personally I would see anything over a year for any of Olsson, McAuley and Sessegnon very poor business.

Yep. I think there's something to be said for having someone like GMac in the dressing room, but by all accounts Olsson keeps to himself. McAuley would be a good mentor for someone like Danny Barbir. We should be either looking to bring Dawson into central defence or lining up a replacement

He/him

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:47 PM »
We dont need to keep all 3 of McAuley,Dawson and Olsson, Morrison and Sess  i would offer new contracts to but if better options became available may be prepared to listen to offers for either

The players are out of contract with the exception of Dawson. It is either offer them a new deal or let them go those are the club's options and on the face it they are going offer all five contracts.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
I wouldn't say offering is a sure sign of keeping them.  I've no doubt contract offers for G-Mac and Olsson will reflect their age and how likely they'll be used.  The fact we've left it this late means we're not *that* fussed I'd have thought.  They can talk to clubs since January if they're in their final year.

WestBromJim

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »
When you see the reports that 75% of our turnover goes on wages, that scary!! I have no idea what wages players are on, but if that is true, I would say too much.

I think the upshot for me is if you are on big wages and not good enough for the 1st team, time to either release or actively try to move those players on.

As I say I have no clue as to individual wages, but as an example I don't think that Sess offers enough to justify his wages of say example £20k per week, I would be looking to replace him with two of our own in Leko and Roberts, and searching for a proper 1st team centre forward/attacking midfielder, and maybe looking to future players like Pritchard.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:08:35 PM by WestBromJim »
No matter where I roam, I will come back to the Brummie road, Cause no bonds, can ever tempt me from thee. The Jam (nearly)

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:38 PM »
I wouldn't say offering is a sure sign of keeping them.  I've no doubt contract offers for G-Mac and Olsson will reflect their age and how likely they'll be used.  The fact we've left it this late means we're not *that* fussed I'd have thought.  They can talk to clubs since January if they're in their final year.

I don't think any other premier league team would take either of them on at this stage in their careers

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 02:15:08 PM »
Keep Jimmy and Les, time to let others go now, and thanks for their service. We must get better quality in and younger.