Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2349458 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #7150 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
As owner & chairman, don't you feel that he had some level of obligation to do his best for the future wellbeing of the club, rather than simply seeking to maximise his personal return? A football club, with a fanbase to consider, is hardly comparable to a house.

What more could he have done? From what I can see/remember there were no job losses or redundancies as a result of the takeover. Peace also had assurances that it would be business as usual. Lai has kept his promises from what I can see.

Ultimately fans have an issue because Lai hasn’t thrown at blank cheque book at us.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7151 on: June 12, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »
Ultimately fans have an issue because Lai hasn’t thrown at blank cheque book at us.
That might be true for some fans, but I believe most have an issue with his disinterest and incompetence. When he took over the club, his stated aim was to stay in the Premier League that season and then start to push towards establishing the club in the top half. Regardless of how realistic and/or honest people regard him as being with that aim, he has 100% failed to achieve it and continues to damage the club's best interests by vetoing paying compensation for new managers.

elmo_in_swansea

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7152 on: June 12, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
I think the least he could have done was to have shown a presence. At the start he showed an interest with his freebie gimmick, but has disappeared completely off the radar. No messages, no comments, no nothing, online, in the press, on the club website nada nothing zilch. I think this lack of apparent  interest is the most galling. To be fair from the beginning we knew there wouldn't be massive investment so guess this isn't the issue! The invisible man is more visible!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:12:04 PM by elmo_in_swansea »
Orihuela CF
@elmo_in_swansea on twitter

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7153 on: June 12, 2021, 09:38:05 PM »
I think the least he could have done was to have shown a presence. At the start he showed an interest with his freebie gimmick, but has disappeared completely off the radar. No messages, no comments, no nothing, online, in the press, on the club website nada nothing zilch. I think this lack of apparent  interest is the most galling. To be fair from the beginning we knew there wouldn't be massive investment so guess this isn't the issue! The invisible man is more visible!

This is my biggest issue with the man. I never expected him to throw money at us, but his grasp of what is required to make the club work as a business that he can get his investment back on is hugely lacking.

I've said this over and over again; it just comes across as poor business acumen. If you are going to invest in something to the tune that he did, surely you do your homework first?
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

BaggieNick

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7154 on: June 13, 2021, 11:32:35 PM »
As owner & chairman, don't you feel that he had some level of obligation to do his best for the future wellbeing of the club, rather than simply seeking to maximise his personal return? A football club, with a fanbase to consider, is hardly comparable to a house.

The tightest Englishman on the planet sold the club at a vastly unrealistic cost to the tightest Chinese on the planet.

It was never going to end well...

PartisanBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7155 on: June 13, 2021, 11:56:48 PM »

This has been spoken about amongst Albion fans many times before and will continue to do so.

The way I look at it is you don’t own a football club. You own the ground, the facilities, the physical assets (so to speak) but the football club itself belongs to the fans. The fans are the beating heart and soul of a football club. Without the fans, what have the owner(s) got exactly. Just bricks and mortar.

Try selling a football club with absolutely fans.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7156 on: June 14, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »
With all the noise out there at the minute regarding new coach saw article that basically read that owner is not happy with selection process and is going to take a more hands on approach. Article goes on to say that Lai wants manager with Championship experience and someone who has gained promotion in the past.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #7157 on: June 14, 2021, 09:19:10 AM »
With all the noise out there at the minute regarding new coach saw article that basically read that owner is not happy with selection process and is going to take a more hands on approach. Article goes on to say that Lai wants manager with Championship experience and someone who has gained promotion in the past.

And he vetoed the man who has done that
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7158 on: June 14, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
I've come to the conclusion Lai is a Dingle in disguise

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7159 on: June 14, 2021, 07:36:57 PM »
Maybe he is a secret agent in the pocket of Fosun!?

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #7160 on: June 14, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »

I’ve come to the conclusion he’s something but dingle would not be the word I’d use..
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7161 on: June 14, 2021, 08:17:45 PM »
Yes I have too Liam. but I don't want to be banned so I'll keep it to myself, just to say I'm not his biggest fan.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7162 on: June 15, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »
As many have commented this is just a mess. This was not created in the last month but over the last two/three years. we have an owner that thought he was buying a self driving club and he is not knowledgeable enough to drive himself. An operation runs on the decision makers shoulders and poor recruitment has caught up with us. I see many companies failing from the same issue, if you are bad at recruiting the management team it normally ends badly.

For those wishing for a return of JP, don't forget he got us here. His greed turned the club into his retirement fund and he sold to the highest bidder (forget the BS he pushed about carefully selecting the new owner), anyone trying to rewrite history now is beyond hope.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #7163 on: June 16, 2021, 08:17:40 AM »
I'm still confused about the ownership of the club.  Guochuan Lai seems to be a member of a consortium of investors who was charged by his peers with acquiring an EPL football club.  I'm not sure he has total control over the direction of the club. 
I'm pretty sure that he would not countenance the appointment of a manager with the reputation of bad-mouthing his boss when he can't get what he wants.
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7164 on: June 16, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
I'm still confused about the ownership of the club.  Guochuan Lai seems to be a member of a consortium of investors who was charged by his peers with acquiring an EPL football club.  I'm not sure he has total control over the direction of the club. 
I'm pretty sure that he would not countenance the appointment of a manager with the reputation of bad-mouthing his boss when he can't get what he wants.

Lai has never owned 100% of the clubs shares he owns the 88% of the club through

Yunyi Goukai Sports Investment (Shanghai) Ltd he owns 59% of it so has control of it and thereby the club. The other 41% is split between an investment fund Yunyi Investment (23%) and Palm (18%).

The overall cost of the original purchase was £188m (Lai £111, Yunyi £43m and Palm £34m). The current value is maybe as little as £50m.

The storm in tea cup last year was created by a change of ownership of Yunyi Investment which has no material difference in Lai's controlling interest.

Lai does have control of the club however there has always been significant minority investors. Put yourself in their position between them they are stuck for about £50m or (66% of their initial investment) do you not think they have an opinion about that situation? Do you think they aren't entitled to one? And in their shoes do you not think you might be offering to share that opinion with the largest investor?
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7165 on: June 16, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »
Lai does have control of the club however there has always been significant minority investors. Put yourself in their position between them they are stuck for about £50m or (66% of their initial investment) do you not think they have an opinion about that situation? Do you think they aren't entitled to one? And in their shoes do you not think you might be offering to share that opinion with the largest investor?
After all, Peace was always keen to know the thoughts of minority shareholders!  ;)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #7166 on: June 16, 2021, 10:04:43 AM »
After all, Peace was always keen to know the thoughts of minority shareholders!  ;)

I don't think two of them had 41% of the equity between them slightly different dynamic going on there. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7167 on: June 18, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
Is Lai still sending us to League 1 then? There is a lot of positivity about Ismael.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:57:55 AM by BB74 »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7168 on: June 23, 2021, 08:58:06 AM »
Is Lai still sending us to League 1 then? There is a lot of positivity about Ismael.

Still deathly silence on how Lai is destroying us. Stark difference to this time a fortnight ago.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7169 on: June 23, 2021, 12:12:12 PM »
Hiring Ismael doesn’t all of a sudden make us a well run club BB74. Let’s see what structures we put in place to replace Dowling. Facts are, we have all acknowledged that so far we have looked very short term which is no good for the football club.
Boing Boing

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #7170 on: June 23, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
Still deathly silence on how Lai is destroying us. Stark difference to this time a fortnight ago.
Are you happy with Lai as an owner then?, please enlighten me to what he has bought to the table....other than a warm bottle of **** water, and some scarves??

Each to their own opinion, will just be an interesting read to see a defence for his ownership!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:20:43 PM by OldburyWBA »
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

tex

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #7171 on: June 23, 2021, 12:28:10 PM »
I don’t think the appointment of a manager suddenly elevates Lai to mastermind. We have no idea what he is really like, just what we read in the press ( or lack of ). He bought a club for nearly 200 million that is probably now worth half of that, not very smart in my book.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7172 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:18 PM »
Are you happy with Lai as an owner then?, please enlighten me to what he has bought to the table....other than a warm bottle of **** water, and some scarves??

Each to their own opinion, will just be an interesting read to see a defence for his ownership!

Lai has been a Ronseal owner. Does exactly what it says on the tin. He didn’t over commit, if anything he said it would very much be business as usual. I can’t see on what basis people get annoyed with him for sticking to his welcoming statement.

If he said Champions League within 3 years etc then i’ll be at the top of the Lai bashing que.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7173 on: June 23, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »
Lai has been a Ronseal owner. Does exactly what it says on the tin. He didn’t over commit, if anything he said it would very much be business as usual. I can’t see on what basis people get annoyed with him for sticking to his welcoming statement.

If he said Champions League within 3 years etc then i’ll be at the top of the Lai bashing que.

It hasn't been business as usual though, he's taken a relatively stable Premier League club to the Championship. I agree with you to the extent it's unlikely to get any worse, all these shouts of League One and asset stripping which have no basis in reality. But he's hardly been a successful owner, quite the contrary in fact.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7174 on: June 23, 2021, 01:04:54 PM »
It hasn't been business as usual though, he's taken a relatively stable Premier League club to the Championship. I agree with you to the extent it's unlikely to get any worse, all these shouts of League One and asset stripping which have no basis in reality. But he's hardly been a successful owner, quite the contrary in fact.

Outside the usual Big 8 suspects, there aren’t really any stable premier league clubs. Yes we might have longer stayers like 6-10 seasons but it’s a cycle and they all drop eventually. Bolton, Blackburn, Charlton, Sunderland, Stoke, Bournemouth etc next to cycle out within 2-3 seasons will be Burnely, BH Albion, Palace.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:33:54 PM by BB74 »