Author Topic: Director of Communications - Martin Swain  (Read 14144 times)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Director of Communications - Martin Swain
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
Martin Swain, former Express and Star journalist is now WBA's Director of Communications.

Looks like the club are sorting out their PR

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/martin-swain-appointed-as-director-of-comms-1796571.aspx

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Director of Communications
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:04 AM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/martin-swain-appointed-as-director-of-comms-1796571.aspx

Extract:
Chairman Jeremy Peace said: “We took a long, hard look at all aspects of the club’s operations at the end of last season and decided this was another appointment which we needed to make with some urgency.

“I fully recognise that the season ended with everyone relieved to have maintained Premier League status and our supporters registered their discontent on a range of other issues.

“I believe that as Director of Communications, Martin can begin and lead the task of healing some of those tensions and build a new way forward to ensure this perceived gap between club and supporters is closed.

“I know the fans want that, as do I and the rest of the board. We have to go forward together.

“Beyond that lies the wider task of the club’s media operation. Martin is an experienced and well-regarded figure within the football media industry with an advanced knowledge of this club’s community and heritage. I am delighted he accepted the post.”

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Director of Communications - Martin Swain
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
Ha, beat me by 3.  ;D
I sure the mods will sort the duplication ...

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Director of Communications
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
Good move, well motivated,
I suspect Chris Lepowski will have a different view though
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
An excellent move by the club. I am also delighted that they have appointed an experienced sports journalist to the role who will know what the supporters expect to read and hear about the club. I hope JP doesn't have the reins too tight around him.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
Is he a Wolves fan.More stability behind the scens can only be good
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:12:39 AM by WBAinDEVON »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
Spot on again.......cannot fault the principle or the appointment......needed to be done.

Fair play to JP , again admitting the failures of last season and how he is responding to our displeasure.

There never seems a day goes by recently without some positive developments coming out, the dark, dark days of May seem a distant memory at the moment.......just a couple of wingers and a forward to go and paradise awaits.

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »

If memory serves me right this man used to work at the Birmingham Post & Mail many moons ago, if he's the same man I'm afraid you will find he worships the claret and blue mob  :o

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:33 AM »

I dont think he is. I always read his column in the paper. Great move by the club

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
If he's a professional then it shouldn't matter who he supports. He's being paid to do a job for us.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
Communications has been something we as a club have been chronic at for a good while. I see this as a huge positive appointing a local journalist and a high profile one at that.

Good move Jeremy Peace.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:43:54 AM »
I wonder if CL was offered the position?
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
I wonder if CL was offered the position?

I doubt he was even considered, with all due respect to Chris I think Martin Swain is a much better candidate for the role.

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
Absolute top appointment . This a man with 25 years of the local area .

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
Another excellent appointment by JP.

Those asking if he is a Wolves/Villa fan, Swain has maintained for decades that he follows no particular team and never has done, probably why his opinion has always been so respected by fans from across the Midlands as he has no angle or agenda.
"This crack is really moreish."

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:28 PM »

Those asking if he is a Wolves/Villa fan, Swain has maintained for decades that he follows no particular team and never has done, probably why his opinion has always been so respected by fans from across the Midlands as he has no angle or agenda.
I makes no difference who he supports, he is paid to do a job. All players have their favourite clubs, but most still do their best for the club that employs them
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Director of Communications
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
Good move, well motivated,
I suspect Chris Lepowski will have a different view though

I dont think he will at all.

CL tweeted that he will be a major loss to his industry
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Telling comment from the official site

The chairman confirmed that, further to Martin’s appointment, the board will shortly take delivery of an independent audit of the club’s marketing and communications operations which will provide further guidance for future strategies

JP has spent money to re-assess, that is a sign that he is serious about correcting the errors of last season.
has to be welcomed IMO
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:27 PM »

A sports journalist that hasnt or doesnt support a particular team,hard to believe. Did he not cover rugby (Moseley primarily) when he was at the Post and Mail?
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:08 PM »
Will this be the end of the dross called the express and dingle?
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Brummie Road

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »
This sounds a good move by the club, and there's no question that the communication between the club and supporters, particularly during our problematic last season, was lacking at times.

So credit to the Albion for being proactive in addressing the issue. 

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »
Seemingly doing alot of positive things this summer, hopefully it continues.

Decent appointment.

teaguey

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »
Telling comment from the official site

The chairman confirmed that, further to Martin’s appointment, the board will shortly take delivery of an independent audit of the club’s marketing and communications operations which will provide further guidance for future strategies

JP has spent money to re-assess, that is a sign that he is serious about correcting the errors of last season.
has to be welcomed IMO

This was what i picked up on most positively, i have been very disappointed at our marketing and branding over the last few years.
The season ticket renewal packs (apart from this years awful terraced street one) were great but were not representative of our overall club marketing and branding.

When compared to wo1ve5 and the vile we really are 3rd fiddle in terms of marketing and branding quality (fan wise), through the web but also and more importantly through the stadium.

So im hoping to see some postive marketing aimed at making us 'feel' more attached. Because thats all it needs to do. Be an illusion.

Follow me: @teaguey91

joeymayo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you here but I was employed by the said newspaper and believe me he's a villain.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »
What exactly does this new role entail?

stever60

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:36 PM »
Deciding when to tell us about transfers..........unemployed for most of the year
Don't call me Walt

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you here but I was employed by the said newspaper and believe me he's a villain.
Does it matter ?
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
Deciding when to tell us about transfers..........unemployed for most of the year

And January! :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:51 PM »
This is surely a positive move FFS, why are some so sceptical ? Closing the gap between the club and supporters, says JP. Isn't that what we want?.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »
what does it matter who he supports, he's employed to do a job and probably paid a nice amount of money to do it so he's going to do the job to the best of his abilities.

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
what does it matter who he supports, he's employed to do a job and probably paid a nice amount of money to do it so he's going to do the job to the best of his abilities.
Exactly, as I already said, footballers and managers also have their favourite teams, but it doesn't stop them doing their job for the club that pays them
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »
I'd disagree

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

As in Aston "Villian"?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
It is irrelevant who someone supports when it comes to professional appointments at the club. They are paid to do a job pure and simple, either they are competent or not. It is just like taking players from our rivals if they are the best we can get then who they have played for in the past makes no difference.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »

Anyone? Not having a dig, just genuinly interested to know.

Avonbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:10 AM »
It is irrelevant who someone supports when it comes to professional appointments at the club. They are paid to do a job pure and simple, either they are competent or not. It is just like taking players from our rivals if they are the best we can get then who they have played for in the past makes no difference.   

It's true. The club have often said in the past that it actually benefits them to employ staff who aren't Albion fans due to the neutrality it brings. Imagine some of this forum (including myself) in charge of something like transfers. We'd bankrupt the club in no time at all with some of our signings  ;D

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
It's true. The club have often said in the past that it actually benefits them to employ staff who aren't Albion fans due to the neutrality it brings. Imagine some of this forum (including myself) in charge of something like transfers. We'd bankrupt the club in no time at all with some of our signings  ;D

Very true indeed :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
Brilliant post. :)
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »
This is a good appointment and, given the way the Club has billed his role, it'll be interesting to see what changes in terms of improving communication and engagement with the fans.

As for who he supports, why is it in any way relevant? It's not like he's going to miss our matches and be found watching his favourite team elsewhere is he? He's being paid to do a job for us and I'm sure he'll do it to the best of his ability.

Does the Head Coach need to be an Albion fan as well? If not, where does the line get drawn for those of you it seems to matter to?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:38 PM »
This is a good appointment and, given the way the Club has billed his role, it'll be interesting to see what changes in terms of improving communication and engagement with the fans.

As for who he supports, why is it in any way relevant? It's not like he's going to miss our matches and be found watching his favourite team elsewhere is he? He's being paid to do a job for us and I'm sure he'll do it to the best of his ability.

Does the Head Coach need to be an Albion fan as well? If not, where does the line get drawn for those of you it seems to matter to?

Well there's at least one Dingle I'd like to see removed from the coaching staff.
 :-X
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
class mate.