Author Topic: Pepe Mel  (Read 259371 times)

miggybaggy

• Youth Baggie

Re: Pepe Mel
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
Good morning Pepe, welcome aboard! Tactics.....please play Berahino and Vydra up front and give the rest of the squad instructions to supply them both with quick incisive through balls...ALONG THE DECK and into their feet. Job done. Lets have a blast!

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Welcome Pepe. Pleased with the appointment. Sure it's a gamble because having spent all that time in Spain it's going to be soo different in England, but I'm sure the guys switched on enough to know that. Always interested to hear what Sky's Spanish expert Guilleme Ballague think's, & he really rates the guy & think's it's a good & clever appointment by the Baggies. I love to watch attacking football with the ball kept on the deck & by all accounts PM will bring that, so well happy!  :)

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
Think this will prove to be a fantastic appointment.  Well done Peace and the board.  In Peace we trust!

Here is a good article on Mel..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2536817/He-serenaded-fans-sacked-Betis-writes-novels-spare-time-meet-Pepe-Mel-man-promises-entertain-West-Brom.html
"This crack is really moreish."

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 09:31:56 AM »
I think Yacob can speak spanish and Pepe knows little bit English,so I think language barrier would not be a big issue.

Lugano and Yacob are both native Spanish speakers

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 09:34:53 AM »
Have to say I favoured Schaaf but I'm very happy with the appointment of Mel.

Looking forward to an improvement in playing style and entertainment value.  Its a brave move by the club to appoint a foreign manager especially one from a country that plays in such a different way.  Will it work?  Who knows but I think its going to be entertaining.

Welcome to the Albion Pepe Mel.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
I always have some excitement when we get a new manager however their always comes a bit of worry too. I really hope Pepe Mel can have the same type of impact on us as what the Southampton manager has had. Welcome to the club Pepe Mel.

Ironically, if we were to beat them tomorrow we would be just 3 points behind Southampton.  They've had a very poor run recently - 7 points from their last 9 games - relegation form!    A great time to be playing them with a new manager and with the team desperately trying to impress him.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
Very happy with this appointment, lets hope he knows some cheap gems in Spain ;D I actually think he may be allowed to bring in 1 or 2 players if the likes of Dorrans and Rosenberg move on.
BOING BOING

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
If successful we should bring the yellow and red stripes back
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »
Have to say I favoured Schaaf but I'm very happy with the appointment of Mel.

Looking forward to an improvement in playing style and entertainment value.  Its a brave move by the club to appoint a foreign manager especially one from a country that plays in such a different way.  Will it work?  Who knows but I think its going to be entertaining.

Welcome to the Albion Pepe Mel.
My thoughts as well Kris. A massive gamble by all accounts, instead of the safety we would have got with Jol. A strange move by Peace if i may say so? I thought we were usually the safe bet of a team that got a stable manager with tactical nous. I'm sure(know) from an outsiders perspective other clubs think this was a potentially dangerous option. Look no further than Stale, but then also, Pochettino is the other side of the coin when things can come together, they do! Anyway, who cares what others think, his record isn't immaculate, but then no option out there really did have a 'mouth-watering record', but what he has shown is he can bring a similar club to ourselves up to a comfortable position in the top 10, with for some reason or another the club crashing the following season. Maybe there were justified reasons for this, but for me THAT is a worry down the line. It will take time for sure, but lets just enjoy the ride for now, and hopefully enjoy some sort of honeymoon period!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:02:09 AM by crazedwbafan18 »

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
My thoughts as well Kris. A massive gamble by all accounts, instead of the safety we would have got with Jol. A strange move by Peace if i may say so? I thought we were usually the safe bet of a team that got a stable manager with tactical nous. I'm sure(know) from an outsiders perspective other clubs think this was a potentially dangerous option. Look no further than Stale, but then also, Pochettino is the other side of the coin when things can come together, they do! Anyway, who cares what others think, his record isn't immaculate, but then no option out there really did have a 'mouth-watering record', but what he has shown is he can bring a similar club to ourselves up to a comfortable position in the top 10, with for some reason or another the club crashing the following season. Maybe there were justified reasons for this, but for me THAT is a worry down the line. It will take time for sure, but lets just enjoy the ride for now, and hopefully enjoy some sort of honeymoon period!

Real Betis had massive debts and sold off three of their best players this summer. Will be really interesting seeing how Mel performs for a well run financial club without the fear of player sales hanging over him.

dubliner

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
Email from a Betis-supporting mate -

As a Betis fan I have huge amount of time for Pepe Mel but I was very surprised to see him take over at West Brom.

Not sure how he will do out of Spain but as a coach there  he was a pragmatist who tried where possible to play passing football. Works very well with young players. Did a fantastic job at Vallecano and a decent one at Betis. His problems there were down to the  finances of the club.

There cant be too many coaches to get a standing ovation from fans when their team has been thrashed (on two occasions) by their bitter local rivals.

Anyway good look to him and the Baggies for making such a novel appointment.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
Wow, so Pepe Mel is an author aswell.

I wonder if the club will see this as an opportunity to sell an English version of 'El Mentiroso' in the club shop?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:42:31 AM by BB74 »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
Having spoke with my son who follows Spanish football avidly & is a closet Betis fan, I have to say I'm very pleased the club have appointed Pepe Mel, HOWEVER! I'm very disappointed that the thread I started (bienvenido Pepe Mel) welcoming the new coach almost 2 hours before this one, was removed for some reason, any ideas admin?

It wasn't removed, it was merged into the main thread at the time mainly due to the forum being a complete pain in the backside to keep on top of and then when things calmed down a new thread was started, you would have been able to find it by checking your posts in your profile and still will.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »
How come all of a sudden people are praising Jp + Rg when a couple of days a go he was being critisised. Good appointment, but still took to long.

p.s do we have any players that can speak spanish so a translator wont be required.

I didn't see many criticising, I saw plenty of impatience from some though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »
Tweet from Richard Wilford ?@wilfordwm:
Pepe Mel tells Spanish radio he has come alone because #wbafc said that would be best. But stressed he wants Roberto Rios and David Gomez.

Also:
Chris Lepkowski ?@chrislepkowski
Interesting comments from Spain suggesting Mendilibar was rejected by #wba on the basis they didn't want to accomodate his No.2.

Surely it's for Pepe to decide what's best in that regard? We have a vacancy for a Deputy Head Coach which he should be able to fill with whoever he wants. I think there will be trouble ahead if the Club is looking to prevent this.

gingernumpty

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
Remained very positive throughout, although yesterday it felt like deja vu at times. 

I believe my only ask was answered in the best possible appointment being made.  Really really pleased the more research I do on Pepe Mel, his approach and past performance.  I would certainly welcome some of his achievements at Betis.  You only have to look at the relationship he had with the fans.  Fans are not stupid when it comes to their team and the football the watch.  Losing 4 - 0 to your local rivals and still wanting him to continue highlights this.  They understood the issue was not the manager if his team is sold from underneath him.  Really looking forward to a buzzing hawthorns and some very attractive football.  Obvious caveat it may take a little time and a few team changes.  Welcome Pepe Mel to the Albion!

slugga1

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 11:37:10 AM »
Pepe Mel tells Spanish radio he has come alone because #wbafc and d that would bemaybe . But stressed he wants Roberto Rios and David Gomez.

Also:
Interesting comments from Spain suggesting Mendilibar was rejected by #wba on the basis they didn't want to accomodate his No.2.

Surely it's for Pepe to decide what's best in that regard? We have a vacancy for a Deputy Head Coach which he should be able to fill with whoever he wants. I think there will be trouble ahead if the Club is looking to prevent this.

From what I gathered the agreement was he was bringing in his staff later on ready for next season ..  That would seem fair enough for all concerned surely.  Maybe I'm wrong though.
Tony Pulis is ...The Equaliser

section5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »
Pepe Mel tells Spanish radio he has come alone because #wbafc said that would be best. But stressed he wants Roberto Rios and David Gomez.

Also:

I'm sure we always accommodate a number 2 at least, as with other appointments in the past
not sure why we wouldn't let him bring at least one with him

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
You can't compare Pepe and stale solbakken. Pepe comes to a club which has a good structure and has a good group of players in place and were in the PL. Solbakken went to a club that didn't have a structure and had a bunch of average wasters. Its a gamble but am glad the club went for someone exciting rather than the boring Mackay or a phelan. With Downing and Kiely at his side I feel even more confident.
BOING BOING

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »
Excited by this appointment and so glad we didn't resort to one of the "safe" options. I like the sound of his philosophy of passing/attacking football but like particularly his record of giving young players a chance to prove themselves.
Of course, in reality who knows if it will work out well in the end. I don't think it would be fair to judge him on the rest of this season - if he keeps us up, he has done his job well enough. Next season will be the exciting one, one way or the other. He will by then he will have decided who he likes from our current squad, had an input into incoming transfers, had a full pre season, and had a chance to impose his ideas on the squad. Yep, this time next year will be the time to judge him imo.

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »
It wasn't removed, it was merged into the main thread at the time mainly due to the forum being a complete pain in the backside to keep on top of and then when things calmed down a new thread was started, you would have been able to find it by checking your posts in your profile and still will.

Thanks for the explanation  8), I know it was manic last night for obvious reasons but I started the thread in good faith to welcome Pepe Mel so I don't understand why it had to be 'merged' & with respect it isn't a lot of good in my profile (where the post still is but as I said the thread was removed), I appreciate the job the admin & mods do but I think in this case someone was a bit too quick to 'merge' the thread as it quite clearly was valid (as its proving in its current form). 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:00:06 PM by dont ask me to choose luv »
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
If the board think Pepe Mel is the best man for the job then they must support him and give him tools for the job.

Time for a bit of flexibility within out rigid structure.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
Good morning Pepe, welcome aboard! Tactics.....please play Berahino and Vydra up front and give the rest of the squad instructions to supply them both with quick incisive through balls...ALONG THE DECK and into their feet. Job done. Lets have a blast!

100% agree, with Gera (if fit), Anelka, or Sessegnon just behind them in a free role.

I am also glad to see there is some concern for continuity in this appointment- Mel has exactly the same haircut as Clarke.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
I am told this is the best squad of players he would have worked with. Samba football here we come. Hopefully anyway :)
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

Also:

I've read this morning that he will be allowed to bring the two guys in that he wants provided the club are satisfied with progeress made between now and the end of the season
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'