Author Topic: Is it time to acknowledge...  (Read 4678 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Is it time to acknowledge...
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
...that winning away at Manchester United isn't that big of a deal now that Moyes is in charge. I myself have been guilty of bigging up this result to promote my views on team selection etc. and I'm expecting to see it a lot in the dissection of the Clarke sacking in the next few days. Just looking at some of their other results and league position, was this as good a performance as we have all made out. Was it merely a good performance rather than an exceptional one?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Re: Is it time to acknowledge...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:01 AM »
I see what you're saying but the point at Everton now looks a cracking result.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
I see what you're saying but the point at Everton now looks a cracking result.

Haha, nah mate they were merely Everton then, now they're their powerful alter ego's EVERLOAN!!

;D

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »
...that winning away at Manchester United isn't that big of a deal now that Moyes is in charge. I myself have been guilty of bigging up this result to promote my views on team selection etc. and I'm expecting to see it a lot in the dissection of the Clarke sacking in the next few days. Just looking at some of their other results and league position, was this as good a performance as we have all made out. Was it merely a good performance rather than an exceptional one?
Funnily enough while talking football with a Man Utd S/T holder today i commented if we got buried at Cardiff i could see Clarke going , he said "but you played us off the park" to which i replied "everybody does now"  :)

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:50:14 AM »
It was still a massive result and performance even if they seem to get beat every other week. Lets face it, we could quite easily go another 30 odd years without winning there.
Allllllll aboard

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
A team that had fellani, van persie, de gea , rooney and nani on the pitch?
easy to joke but that's still a decent team and we played very well.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
Man U are still a fairly good outfit.  If someone said in August you'll beat Utd, draw with Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal, you would say they're mad.

That's why the vast majority of fans are mad at Clarke for the last few results.  Mr Negative against teams we should dominate.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
The biggest thing we must acknowledge is that the new man will wipe the slate clean for every player and  we must do the same.

Selections will be made by a fresh pair of eyes and we have to accept those fresh eyes may well be better placed than ours.
I only go for the beer.

Doobuy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 11:54:39 AM »
does that mean the career of rosenburg will be prolonged further at the club...perhaps he'll get another load of 15 mins cameos

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Funnily enough while talking football with a Man Utd S/T holder today i commented if we got buried at Cardiff i could see Clarke going , he said "but you played us off the park" to which i replied "everybody does now"  :)

That tickled me  ;D

Its true though that is everybody does now....still a good result no matter what though

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

boing_boing68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
does that mean the career of rosenburg will be prolonged further at the club...perhaps he'll get another load of 15 mins cameos

i'd personally like to see Rosenburg get a decent run out under a new manager, I still can't get over Steve Clarke playing Rosenburg and Anelka all pre season and then not playing them in a match this season
Baggie Terra

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 01:59:14 PM »
i'd personally like to see Rosenburg get a decent run out under a new manager, I still can't get over Steve Clarke playing Rosenburg and Anelka all pre season and then not playing them in a match this season

Spot on, that was a total mystery and an utter mistake on his part.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
I don't think it's fair to play this down, they are still the same set of players who won the title last year, with or without fergie.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
We could also acknowledge that we would have beaten Chelsea and Arsenal if correct penalty decisions had been made in the last 30 seconds of those games.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
We could also acknowledge that we would have beaten Chelsea and Arsenal if correct penalty decisions had been made in the last 30 seconds of those games.

It might also be time to acknowledge that if Ridgewell had cleared the ball, or if Anelka had taken his chances, then the penalties would have been irrelevant.

It was still a good result at Old Trafford, and one of the fonder memories of Clarke.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
beating the bigger sides or giving a good account of ourselves against these sides is no good if you get relegated off losing to the sides in and around us
O Albion we love you

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
fair comment, but we are just responding to the pretty pointless topic here of downgrading the win at Old Trafford

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
fair comment, but we are just responding to the pretty pointless topic here of downgrading the win at Old Trafford

The point of the topic was that the result has been used as a rationale for a multitude of opinions on here from our best formation and personnel to the suitability of Steve Clarke as head coach
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:55:33 PM by OldburyWBA »

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 05:06:17 AM »
Man U are still a fairly good outfit.  If someone said in August you'll beat Utd, draw with Chelsea, Everton and Arsenal, you would say they're mad.

That's why the vast majority of fans are mad at Clarke for the last few results.  Mr Negative against teams we should dominate.

Agree, such a  shame  that we put such timid formations out against the likes of Norwich and cardiff.