Author Topic: Paul Scharner? Should he be dropped?  (Read 29692 times)

Kelloggs

Re: Paul Scharner? Should he be dropped?
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
I've decided he's much better in midfield, thought he played ok today. Deserves to retain his spot.

BaggieJames114

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
Played well today i thought, hes never going to do the exact job Mulumbu does but we restricted Wolves to one exceptional shot on target today and they scored from it. Some of that has to go down to Scharner. It will be interesting to see what Hodgson does at Stoke..

bubz

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
Although he's decent enough in centre mid, he does frustrate the hell out of me when were attacking, he seems to slow everything down. So many times today he had the ball at his feet, taking his time and in the end had to play a backwards pass because he had taken so long.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »
Although he's decent enough in centre mid, he does frustrate the hell out of me when were attacking, he seems to slow everything down. So many times today he had the ball at his feet, taking his time and in the end had to play a backwards pass because he had taken so long.
I believe this is called retaining possesion!
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 09:18:07 AM »
I heard yesterday that it is written into his contract that if he is fit he has to play.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
I believe this is called retaining possesion!

Bleh, it is called being sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow and lacking the necessary skill set and vision.

Scharner is physical and has a wee bit of presence and an attitude, but that is about it. I said before that he is a CB playing DM, but now we know he isn't a CB either... so I guess he really is a very limited DM. Wonder what his contract is worth... We have a huge hole in his position, too bad we weren't able to bring in a Tiote or Wilson...

Scharner really should have buried that chance he blasted high over the bar when he was completely free with Hennessy with all the time in the world. He owes us a cracking header against Stoke now :D

boinger1968

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:01 AM »
I heard yesterday that it is written into his contract that if he is fit he has to play.
It's a possibility but there's no chance of anyone within the club admitting to it.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
It's a possibility but there's no chance of anyone within the club admitting to it.

It really isn't a possibility, no club would include such a clause in any contract. People spread the exact same rumour about Scott Carson because they seemingly wanted people to turn on him to force him out of the team.

Perrybarrbaggy

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:22 PM »
Im sure he said that quite a few clubs wanted him, it wouldn't shock me if he has to start a certain number of PL games in his contract

I cant imagine ashworth and peace being stupid like that though

BaggieBoiJono

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 12:30:36 AM »
I don't understand why some of our fans are saying Thomas or brunt should be dropped, without Thomas we wouldnt have any wing threat and IMO he is very close to being our best player of he isn't already, and for brunt if we were to drop him it would be suicidal imean he has one of the best left foots in the league and he can spot the pass

Schaner MUST be dropped for many reasons:
1. Too slow
2. No passion for the cause
3. He can't get in the team
4. He is awful
5. I hate him

But for brunt and Thomas' names to be mentioned to be dropped it just proves our fans are clueless

Roy must play
Myhill
Jara
Olsson
Pablo/tamas
Shorey
Mulumbu
Brunt
Thomas
Dorrans
Odem/vela
Fortune/vela

greggy8689

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »
Didn't think much of Scharner yesterday in midfield. Cannot believe people think that there would be a contract clause saying he MUST player.

Rich99

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
I'm not sure Roy is strictly a fan out and out wingers, which Thomas is.  I think he's more of a sort of guy who'd play a midfielder in a wide position.  I could be wrong however.

Brunt?  He's been very poor for a while now, but he's one of our best players so it's a bit of a dilemma.

As far as as Scharner goes, I think he will play next game after yesterdays performance.  I think Roy once tried to sign him.

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
I hope to god Hodgson drops him becuase no way is he better than Tamas
Plus Scharner couldnt care less if we go down
So it should be the players with passion (e.g. olsson, brunt, dorrans and odem) that get in the team
Well Roy didn't drop him and he played his part in a much improved performance :P LOL
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
To be fair he deserves player of the year just for this.....

I only go for the beer.

astle68

• WBA Coach

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
Scharner and Mulumbu in midfield at Stoke for me. They won't know what's hit 'em!! >:(

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »
1. Too slow
4. He is awful
5. I hate him

1. Possible.
2. Utter rubbish.
3. What are you talking about?
4. You've obviously not seen too many albion players from the past then.
5. Well you need to get a life.

Jesus christ, as posts go that is by my feet covered in dog mess in terms of quality.
I only go for the beer.

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
Scharner and Mulumbu in midfield at Stoke for me. They won't know what's hit 'em!! >:(
I have to reiterate that Scharner is a class act!
He was totally committed against the Dingles and stuck his foot in more that once.
He and Mulumbu are a great pairing for us.
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

Damobaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
If we go back to five in midfield I would keep Scharner in with Mulumbu as this worked well earlier in the season. I dont think I would if we stick with four in midfield  as I think it would sacrifice a creative player in the centre thats needed to supply the front two.

wbaforlife1991

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
I don't understand why some of our fans are saying Thomas or brunt should be dropped, without Thomas we wouldnt have any wing threat and IMO he is very close to being our best player of he isn't already, and for brunt if we were to drop him it would be suicidal imean he has one of the best left foots in the league and he can spot the pass

1. Too slow
4. He is awful
5. I hate him

But for brunt and Thomas' names to be mentioned to be dropped it just proves our fans are clueless

Roy must play
Myhill
Jara
Olsson
Pablo/tamas
Shorey
Mulumbu
Brunt
Thomas
Dorrans
Odem/vela
Fortune/vela

To say he lacks passion and couldnt care less is complete tripe. He was one of only a hand few of players who i could clearly see wanted the game yesterday. Was i the only one to see him geeing up the crowd (think it was the BRE)??

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
He brought Mulumbu on wel in the early season and has been a good assest when called upon in defence, he is sloppy in some cases and does loose concentration...also seems slow when chasing the ball but rather have him than to play against him.

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2011, 05:30:24 PM »
Deserves his place in the team after sunday's performance (which he should keep because of the height of the Stoke team alone).

I actually think Hodgson is a much better manager for him than RDM. Under RDM he seemed to have a much more box to box role and didn't really look like he knew what he was doing, whereas Hodgson should get him much more focussed and staying in position, which should also hide his lack of pace somewhat.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
1. Possible.
2. Utter rubbish.

Jesus christ, as posts go that is by my feet covered in dog mess in terms of quality.

Half term. :-X

.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
There is a lot you can criticise Scharner for like so far not being outstanding in any position and making defensive mistakes but lacking passion? Come on, you end up sounding like you arent watching and just want to use clichés if you say Scharner lacks passion.
Boing Boing

albionproud70

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
1. Possible.
2. Utter rubbish.

Was just about to post the same but you said it much better.... ;)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2011, 08:28:37 PM »
Was just about to post the same but you said it much better.... ;)

When I read Number 5 I thought how strange, hate, you must be in need of therapy or you have eaten too many Smarties!
Baggie in Southampton