Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 195597 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #1075 on: October 11, 2021, 09:57:47 AM »
I could be wrong but I’m less convinced by Joshua’s punch power, I do have my doubts that he would find the punches that Wilder found in fights 1 and 3 vs Fury.

In his last 6 fights, Joshua has failed to knock down his opponent in half of them, while in one of those he did (the first Ruiz fight), he scored 1 knock down to 4 against. Contrast that to Wilder who has knocked down his opponent in 43 of his 45 fights and who managed to floor Fury 4 times across 2 of their fights.

I think there is a strong case to say Wilder is the best head hunter at Heavyweight, while Joshua seems to have had his big punching coached out of him in the last few years as attempts have been made to adapt him for the top fighters. In that sense, I would expect a Fury v Joshua fight to end with a Fury UD and no knock downs for Joshua, while a Wilder v Joshua fight feels almost certain to end in Joshua hitting the canvas atleast once and probably needing to hang on for a points victory.

Uysk vs Wilder is probably the fight I’d find most intriguing at heavyweight level now as I’ve no idea how that would end.

When comparing the knockdown record, you have to consider who they've fought. If you take Fury out, I've no doubt Joshua would get stoppages against every fighter Wilder has fought. He has fought better opponents.  At least one of Fury's knock downs Saturday, was tactical in my opinion too, it was to stop himself getting caught whilst in a compromised position.

It is a few years ago now, but the only two fighters he and Wilder fought within a few years of each other, Joshua stopped sooner than Wilder.

There is a few interesting fights to be made if they all stay active though.  Even Whyte Fury would be entertaining.

Atomic

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: October 11, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
When comparing the knockdown record, you have to consider who they've fought. If you take Fury out, I've no doubt Joshua would get stoppages against every fighter Wilder has fought. He has fought better opponents.  At least one of Fury's knock downs Saturday, was tactical in my opinion too, it was to stop himself getting caught whilst in a compromised position.

It is a few years ago now, but the only two fighters he and Wilder fought within a few years of each other, Joshua stopped sooner than Wilder.

That isn't true. In 2016 Joshua stopped Dominic Brezeale in 7 rounds, slightly less than three years later Wilder stopped Brezeale in round one.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: October 11, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »
That isn't true. In 2016 Joshua stopped Dominic Brezeale in 7 rounds, slightly less than three years later Wilder stopped Brezeale in round one.

That was why I said within a few years. I should have been more specific.   The two they've faced in a space of less than 2 years of each other, Joshua has finished sooner.  Its only a small sample, but Wilders opponents didn't get much better.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1078 on: October 11, 2021, 12:19:24 PM »
You can't really compare going back with the reality of the now
As it stands, Fury number 1& Usyk 2,Wilder3 & Joshua 4
But there is a huge gap between Fury and Usyk
It's a bit of fun trying to evaluate it all though

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1079 on: October 11, 2021, 01:27:04 PM »
What have i just read, fury under par :D
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: October 11, 2021, 02:41:17 PM »
What have i just read, fury under par :D
By his own admission he was under par to be fair. If there was another minute left in that 4th he would have quite possibly lost that fight, I think that gave him the kick up the harse he needed because he schooled him after that, an under par Fury would still do the majority of them, he is a beast!

On a side note, I thought he had broke his ankle in the 3rd when he knocked Wilder down, he seemed to go over on it quite badly!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten
Twitter - @Hodge2802

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1081 on: October 11, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »
By his own admission he was under par to be fair. If there was another minute left in that 4th he would have quite possibly lost that fight, I think that gave him the kick up the harse he needed because he schooled him after that, an under par Fury would still do the majority of them, he is a beast!

On a side note, I thought he had broke his ankle in the 3rd when he knocked Wilder down, he seemed to go over on it quite badly!

As well as Fury saying it, his trainer and promoted both suggested it.

In addition his dad said on talksport this morning he thought he was only 60% and that tyson agreed during their phone call.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1082 on: October 11, 2021, 09:42:24 PM »
Fury is definitely a very good fighter with a good boxing brain. For his legacy and the 'greatness debates' he does still need to get 3 or 4 other big names on his record. Aside from Vitali Klitchko and Wilder the quality of his opponents hasn't been great. Obviously he's done Wilder 2 maybe 3 times but he's got his number and it's still the same name on his record. Wilder is very dangerous but also pretty limited in his skills, not great on stamina and has vulnerabilities.
Fury may prove to be the best of his era but he still needs to rubber stamp it over his next 3 or 4 fights.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill