Author Topic: The Booing's got to stop  (Read 85136 times)

wbako

• Senior Baggie

Re: The Booing's got to stop
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2014, 10:11:11 PM »
So what do you hope to achieve when booing a player who makes a mistake?

I don't boo; i've made that clear. I haven't condoned booing. I'm saying if people choose to boo, who are we to judge.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:13:02 PM by wbako »
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Semaj Riatsila

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »
Plus Man United have had 20 years of winning everything. They are hardly starved of success.

Maybe some of that success is due to them not being boo'd when playing poorly but being backed through thick and thin?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »
Maybe some of that success is due to them not being boo'd when playing poorly but being backed through thick and thin?
Yeah, Man Utd have had loads of thin over the past 20 years! ;)

Football is a very expensive pastime these days, not just the ticket prices but the travelling costs as well, and people have plenty of other options with which to fill their leisure time. I think the mentality of some is that, having given up some time to come to a football match, they want to feel like they've enjoyed what they've seen, which isn't an unreasonable expectation in my view. We're in a world where patience is a declining commodity, so reduced tolerance of poor performances is no great surprise and neither, in my view, is it perverse as such.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2014, 08:31:06 AM »
The old "it's my money and time, I'll do what I want" line is in my opinion complete garbage.

So by booing at the end of the game you are only having a negative and detrimental effect on the next game. Face it I bet there are people who boo and then go on to purchase a ticket for the next game or turn up the following week with their season ticket.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
The old "it's my money and time, I'll do what I want" line is in my opinion complete garbage.
I think you'll find it's actually called an alternative opinion.

So by booing at the end of the game you are only having a negative and detrimental effect on the next game.
Another factor is that footballers at this level are paid an obscene amount of money these days. That being the case, they have to be big enough to take the rough with the smooth.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »
Another factor is that footballers at this level are paid an obscene amount of money these days. That being the case, they have to be big enough to take the rough with the smooth.

Sorry mate that has nothing to do with the goings on in Albion fans heads when it comes to mindlessly booing your own team.

We want fans to feel valued by the players and players to feel valued by the fans. How many times have people moaned about players just walking off after games not acknowledging supporters? People struggle to realise respect etc. works both ways and that is regardless of peoples wages.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »
Yeah, Man Utd have had loads of thin over the past 20 years! ;)

Football is a very expensive pastime these days, not just the ticket prices but the travelling costs as well, and people have plenty of other options with which to fill their leisure time. I think the mentality of some is that, having given up some time to come to a football match, they want to feel like they've enjoyed what they've seen, which isn't an unreasonable expectation in my view. We're in a world where patience is a declining commodity, so reduced tolerance of poor performances is no great surprise and neither, in my view, is it perverse as such.

Nice to see a measured response.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »
If booing is such a good thing, allows us to release pent up emotion with no negative impact on the person receiving it, why don't we all boo from the moment they set foot on the pitch at the next home game?

We could greet every pass, tackle, run and move with a chorus of jeers and cat calls, taunt and shout derisive comments for throw ins and corners, sing abusive songs about the players and wow, imagine if the team score, we could really let rip.

That would show them eh?

We'd all feel so much better and the players wouldn't notice anything was wrong as as we know, they take no notice anyway.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Booing for me clearly has a knock on effect on the pitch, and the next home game. You can see the players are tense and mistakes happen. It makes us cagey. Booing adds nothing , just has a negative impact.
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:21 AM »
I start from point of view that I want my team to do well. Does booing them during a game and generally getting on players back help? No probably not. There's your answer.

In broader terms fans in general today seem to want perfection and they want it now. Frankly some of the utter drivel that is spouted on social networks is just plain embarrassing and this mentality is starting to be reflected in the grounds. People seem to be a lot less patient and generally keener to jump on player's backs. I think this is regrettable.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
I start from point of view that I want my team to do well. Does booing them during a game and generally getting on players back help? No probably not. There's your answer.

In broader terms fans in general today seem to want perfection and they want it now. Frankly some of the utter drivel that is spouted on social networks is just plain embarrassing and this mentality is starting to be reflected in the grounds. People seem to be a lot less patient and generally keener to jump on player's backs. I think this is regrettable.

Top notch post; one of many in this thread.

Completely agree. Today's society is obsessed with instant gratification. No one seemingly possesses the stamina or patience to see something through.
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »

You might want to have a word with chairmen / directors / owners as well. Managers / head coaches get barely any time at all to build. If success isn't instant they don't last long.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »

You might want to have a word with chairmen / directors / owners as well. Managers / head coaches get barely any time at all to build. If success isn't instant they don't last long.

That's partly a reaction to the impatience of fans, it all feeds off itself to create unreasonable expectations and a vile atmosphere.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
I'd like us to have the Liquidator played every home game but probably won't happen. It creates a great atmosphere before kick off and it's no surprise that in the games we played it we got off to a good start.
the regime don't like it man

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »
That's partly a reaction to the impatience of fans, it all feeds off itself to create unreasonable expectations and a vile atmosphere.
But not in the case of Pepe Mel, of course, where a signifcant majority of fans (based on forum polls) wanted him to be kept on this season. The fact that he was kicked out regardless, and replaced with someone few of us were happy about, will have contributed to reduced tolerance levels amongst fans IMO.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
Booing for me clearly has a knock on effect on the pitch, and the next home game. You can see the players are tense and mistakes happen. It makes us cagey. Booing adds nothing , just has a negative impact.

Poor performances make the players tense.  Poor performances create pressure.  Poor performances get the fans on the players back.  You're thinking that booing creates the poor performances, it's the other way around.

If we lose 5 matches on the trot the flowing football won't suddenly come back because the fans managed to not boo at the end of the game. 

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
Poor performances make the players tense.  Poor performances create pressure.  Poor performances get the fans on the players back.  You're thinking that booing creates the poor performances, it's the other way around.

If we lose 5 matches on the trot the flowing football won't suddenly come back because the fans managed to not boo at the end of the game.

Boo !!   Boo!!  bloody disgraceful post !!  What are you doing !!!  Boo !! Boo !!
you're useless, no punctuation, no capitalisation, your rubbish, get off !!   Boo !!
Go and post at the dingles, your rubbish, shouild never post here again get off BOO!! BOO!!!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »

So we have a bad first half, the team get nervous coming out for the second half, then we make more mistakes due to the added and unnecessary pressure. Why not get behind the team, bit of encouragement.

Fan power and the '12th' man is under rated

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
There is only one fact in this argument and that is that booing creates more negativity.

It causes the players heads to go down more, pressure on the manager and arguements between fans. Unless they take no notice at all there is not one person who attends football matches who can deny this.

For that reason I find it hard to see why anyone would boo it baffles me.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
Poor little dears, they get paid a pittance of £20k/£30k/£40k+ a week and yet everyone has to act like they're treading on eggshells around them for fear of their fragile temperaments being adversely affected.....

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #220 on: August 28, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Poor little dears, they get paid a pittance of £20k/£30k/£40k+ a week and yet everyone has to act like they're treading on eggshells around them for fear of their fragile temperaments being adversely affected.....

That's not the point. At the end of the day do you still want the team to win? Do well? Stay up ?

If so, then surely you wouldn't want to heap pressure and have a negative effect on them

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: August 28, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »
It funny how because footballers get paid more, they are some-how less human and therefore deserve/ should be ok with being booed/ abused.

It happens in barely any other profession.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

NEBaggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #222 on: August 28, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

Should someone's boss be able to refer to them by derogatory names as long as they consider that they are paying said employee a fair wage?

Let's say £40k a year allows him to use the term "dickhead" whenever he refers to the employee and work down from there...  ::)
"Well, love is insanity. The ancient Greeks knew that. It is the taking over of a rational and lucid mind by delusion and self-destruction. You lose yourself, you have no power over yourself, you can't even think straight."

I guess I'm in love with West Brom...I have been for around 3 months now.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #223 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:29 PM »
It funny how because footballers get paid more, they are some-how less human and therefore deserve/ should be ok with being booed/ abused.
It comes with the territory of being a professional footballer. If they can't handle it, then they should find alternative employment. Whatever their own fans do,  players are only ever an incident away from getting stick for the remainder of the game from opposing fans.

They get adulation when they do well and brickbats when they don't, that's how it is, so they need the mental psyche to be able to deal with it.

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »
I agree with that worcs but for our club it achieves nothing whether you like it or not players will play better with encouragement rather than being slated same with the majority of ppeople in employment.