Author Topic: Who's starting to become resigned  (Read 130837 times)

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

Re: Who's starting to become resigned
« Reply #275 on: December 31, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
What worries me is, with all the usual amount of players linked with us, who would want to come to a sinking ship? The strikers problem is nothing new, its not been good for 2 or 3 seasons. Nobody seemed to take notice of that, whoever it was that thought Kanu and Jrod was the answer are to blame. I hope we get a top striker, but I can,t  see that happening.

££££’s talk, sinking ship or not - different is we’d need to over pat to attract in this position and that’s where we can’t as we’ve not got the funds.

Tough January ahead I think, hopefully we can get a bit of luck and pick up a result to lift the place and raise eyebrows of a few. Maybe today, we’ll see...
"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #276 on: December 31, 2017, 09:53:24 AM »
We are going to struggle to attract anyone better than we have already. What proven goal scorer is going to want to come to us where he will have a relegation clause in his contract where he will take a massive pay cut? Any agent with a brain will just say wait until summer.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #277 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
We are going to struggle to attract anyone better than we have already. What proven goal scorer is going to want to come to us where he will have a relegation clause in his contract where he will take a massive pay cut? Any agent with a brain will just say wait until summer.
think it will need to be a punt on a risky loan signing. Someone who had been injured for a while or needs to prove his ability/fitness.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #278 on: December 31, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
££££’s talk, sinking ship or not - different is we’d need to over pat to attract in this position and that’s where we can’t as we’ve not got the funds.

Tough January ahead I think, hopefully we can get a bit of luck and pick up a result to lift the place and raise eyebrows of a few. Maybe today, we’ll see...

I think that's what we really need to do to be honest, regardless of any new signings

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #279 on: December 31, 2017, 01:35:17 PM »
I'm slightly resigned, but who wants to stay in the Prem anyway? Look outside the top 6 and there's only everton who have managed to stay in the prem for a long time. You need to spend hundreds of millions to constantly attract the best managers and players to stay in the league, otherwise, you do well for 5-10 years and inevitably have a slump and you end up dropping.

Over the next 10 -15 years the entire bottom 10 will be completely different teams who have a good team, come up do well for a few years because they spend a bit and their best players stay, but then they leave or retire and they have a few dodgy signings and off they go back down the leagues.

If/when we go down, we've had a good innings, we were comfortable mid table finishers for 5 years and no we're dropping out to start it all over again. We're not going to win the league, we're not going to do a Portsmouth or wolves and drop down 2 divisions. This is the best we can hope for unless we get the citeh treatment or move our club to London.

Let the dings have their fun the next couple of years because it'll all change again. Too, too predictable.
Keep St.George in my heart.

sing on our own

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #280 on: December 31, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
I'm slightly resigned, but who wants to stay in the Prem anyway? Look outside the top 6 and there's only everton who have managed to stay in the prem for a long time. You need to spend hundreds of millions to constantly attract the best managers and players to stay in the league, otherwise, you do well for 5-10 years and inevitably have a slump and you end up dropping.

Over the next 10 -15 years the entire bottom 10 will be completely different teams who have a good team, come up do well for a few years because they spend a bit and their best players stay, but then they leave or retire and they have a few dodgy signings and off they go back down the leagues.

If/when we go down, we've had a good innings, we were comfortable mid table finishers for 5 years and no we're dropping out to start it all over again. We're not going to win the league, we're not going to do a Portsmouth or wolves and drop down 2 divisions. This is the best we can hope for unless we get the citeh treatment or move our club to London.

Let the dings have their fun the next couple of years because it'll all change again. Too, too predictable.

Agree with this, I’m not being the ex who didn’t want the girl anyway but going down won’t bother me. What will we miss? Stupid kick off times? Players who don’t give a toss? My best days in over 35 years going to the games have been in the championship/division 1... don’t beleive the hype.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:03:22 PM by OldburyWBA »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2018, 03:10:47 PM »
I genuinely can't understand the mindset of being ok with being relegated and out of the top division.  What's the point of competing in the Championship if promotion isn't something you want? 

Ask fans of all the other league clubs if they'd rather be in their league or in the Prem, the vast vast majority would swap places with us. 

It's all down to results - if we win fans will be happy, if we struggle, they'll be unhappy.  If we were struggling  in the Championship the fans would be as unhappy as they are now.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Need to start scoring at set plays again , goals from midfield plus a new forward option. Add that to the good points seen so far and I think we have a good chance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
It still is, as I said previously...
It is easier to beat a few teams around you and stay in the Prem rather than having to beat most of the others to get up and back out of the Championship.
Logical, really.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
Need to start scoring at set plays again , goals from midfield plus a new forward option. Add that to the good points seen so far and I think we have a good chance.
set plays have been awful this season miss fletcher occupying goalkeeper and defender to open up space, gmac is also a miss

Smooth Lad

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
I genuinely can't understand the mindset of being ok with being relegated and out of the top division.  What's the point of competing in the Championship if promotion isn't something you want? 

Ask fans of all the other league clubs if they'd rather be in their league or in the Prem, the vast vast majority would swap places with us. 

It's all down to results - if we win fans will be happy, if we struggle, they'll be unhappy.  If we were struggling  in the Championship the fans would be as unhappy as they are now.

Of course they would, but ask fans of teams who've been in the prem for 6,7,8,9 years, doing nothing but finished 8th-17th. They'd say yeah i'll swap with shrewsbury for a year and play in League 1, go to all the obscure proper football stadiums around the country.

If you ask me, it's exciting when you go on a run and you're safe by march and you can just enjoy the football, but then you'll go on a bad run and it feels like 'what's the point?'

I suppose you could just hope you stop in the prem for decades and attract the next generation of football supporters in the region and you start getting 40k+ every game without having to play a local derby or a top 4 club. Then you can maybe (MAYBE) step up to attract the better calibre of player and you flirt with europe and have a good run and you manage to do it for a few seasons and then nothing because leeds, newcastle, everton and fulham did that and all of them are in worse positions.

Maybe i sound cynical but when you step back and look at the league structure and football on a whole, it's just boring after a bit. Bring on the 'European Elite League' so the likes of us can push for a top 4 finish and compete with everton and southampton for the league title.
Keep St.George in my heart.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Still not resigned to relegation, no way, far too many points to play for.

COYB  8) .
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »
 ;D We will be fine.....we are going to recall Superbob and Superkev....I am sure they could knock a few in for us (couldn't be any worse off).

We will kick on in January and be safe by April.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
Of course they would, but ask fans of teams who've been in the prem for 6,7,8,9 years, doing nothing but finished 8th-17th. They'd say yeah i'll swap with shrewsbury for a year and play in League 1, go to all the obscure proper football stadiums around the country.

If you ask me, it's exciting when you go on a run and you're safe by march and you can just enjoy the football, but then you'll go on a bad run and it feels like 'what's the point?'

I suppose you could just hope you stop in the prem for decades and attract the next generation of football supporters in the region and you start getting 40k+ every game without having to play a local derby or a top 4 club. Then you can maybe (MAYBE) step up to attract the better calibre of player and you flirt with europe and have a good run and you manage to do it for a few seasons and then nothing because leeds, newcastle, everton and fulham did that and all of them are in worse positions.

Maybe i sound cynical but when you step back and look at the league structure and football on a whole, it's just boring after a bit. Bring on the 'European Elite League' so the likes of us can push for a top 4 finish and compete with everton and southampton for the league title.

The key point there though is they'd swap "for a season"  :D

I know what you mean, and I guess it's why it explains why I'm seeing quite a few people, who are Albion fans through and through and going to the odd matchs but are also going to see Kidderminster\Walsall play.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »
I think part of the reason why fans of clubs like ourselves that are stuck in the mid to lower reaches of the Premier League are disillusioned  is from the turn of the year there isn't much to play for or there is a relegation scrap which at least makes the games meaningful but means your team isn't playing very well.

In a typical season for us in the Premier League we might win 10 to 13 games draw another 6 to 10 lose the rest. Most teams in the top six of the Championship have already won more than that. Competing towards the top of a Division is far better than merely surviving at the bottom of the league above.

The Premier League might be the top of the pyramid and if we could compete I would be happy to be here, but in truth there are only 6 clubs that can mix it at the top of the league the rest are just varying degrees of also rans.

Just on the natural cycle of things I think we are now overdue a relegation the freshness of being in the league has gone any momentum that the club was building on the back of promotion has largely dissipated. It is grim survival year in year out until our number is up.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
our next 6 home games are winnable and we should be looking to win them :-X
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »

Completely agree. Maybe if you are in the Championship, and live in the local area, the club will still have a high profile and you have the local derbies to look forward to (as things currently stand!), but if like me, you don't live in the region, you are a complete non-entity if you are outside the Premier League. Especially outside the UK where the results and media coverage is only about the Premier League. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:01:35 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2018, 09:40:11 PM »
Does anyone still think we're not likely to go down? We've had it.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »
Brighton at home is a must win. Cruel to lose tonight but awful from Gibbs gave Carol the chance and he punished us (cross to the back post, Carol took it well, Gibbs wasn't even in the picture, up the pitch completely out of shape).

east-stand-nick

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »
Brighton at home is a must win. Cruel to lose tonight but awful from Gibbs gave Carol the chance and he punished us (cross to the back post, Carol took it well, Gibbs wasn't even in the picture, up the pitch completely out of shape).

Sick of hearing "must win" in all honesty. We've had 5 or 6 of those and bottled each and every one.

mikehy

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »
Premier league is over. Been good few years and just hope we don't continue the decline. Williams Goodman and Hammond should all go for allowing pulis to mush time and allowing to sign players like kanu and mcclean

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
Sick of hearing "must win" in all honesty. We've had 5 or 6 of those and bottled each and every one.

Agreed but Brighton at home really is a must win, literally. At least we're at home at last against a rival.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
I ain't fussed if we go down, can't stand the greed league anymore
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

HampshireBaggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:56 PM »
We're down. I've accepted that and i'm looking forward to the clear out, get some of our younger players in and rebuild. May take longer than a season but we'll be back.

Its ridiculous that this shower of pooh we have as a squad is maxing out our wage budget anyway.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
You cannot lose away to Stoke, Swansea and West Ham - the three sides we are banking on to be worse than us and expect to stop up in this division.

To lose them, in the manner that we have as well has sealed our fate.

We are not good enough and I'm sorry Alan, but I don't think you are either.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom