Author Topic: Mbaye Diagne  (Read 83086 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Re: Mbaye Diagne
« Reply #550 on: May 06, 2021, 08:24:48 PM »
Where have so many people seen that we have an option should we go down?

It was only a few days ago SA said he can't see Diagne returning in the championship and that's not the first time he has said that. I don't believe for one moment there is a clause on him if we go down. Why would Galatasary agree to selling their striker for nearly half the price to a club in fear of relegation especially when at the time of signing we were in the relation zone and things didnt look pretty even then. It makes no sense.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #551 on: May 07, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »
Bit like a second marriage maybe - 'a triumph of hope over experience'

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #552 on: May 07, 2021, 12:13:59 PM »
He reminds me of a more technically gifted Fortuné. Some of the passes he's seen and played are very good. To be honest I think his vision and adding is quite underrated. He has his way of playing in the area - standing offside and then as the ball is played just moving back... it's not worked too well against some of the more clever defenders in the league (I think Sanchez of Tottenham just pushed him back offside).

He's the type of player we should have been going for last summer, and the type of player I thought Bilic would have wanted to spearhead a 4-2-3-1.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dda3969e/Mbaye-Diagne
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #553 on: May 07, 2021, 12:56:56 PM »
He reminds me of a more technically gifted Fortuné. Some of the passes he's seen and played are very good. To be honest I think his vision and adding is quite underrated. He has his way of playing in the area - standing offside and then as the ball is played just moving back... it's not worked too well against some of the more clever defenders in the league (I think Sanchez of Tottenham just pushed him back offside).

He's the type of player we should have been going for last summer, and the type of player I thought Bilic would have wanted to spearhead a 4-2-3-1.

https://fbref.com/en/players/dda3969e/Mbaye-Diagne

We were interested in him last summer. 

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #554 on: May 07, 2021, 01:01:57 PM »

I've seen this mentioned a few times, where has it come from?
 Also begs the question why wasn't it mentioned at the time? I can remember a few names we were linked with/interested in but can't remember any mention of Diagne...or Yokuslu for that matter.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #555 on: May 07, 2021, 01:03:17 PM »

Also begs the question why wasn't it mentioned at the time? I can remember a few names we were linked with/interested in but can't remember any mention of Diagne...or Yokuslu for that matter.

Commentary team said it the other night. I don't believe it for a minute.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #556 on: May 07, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »

When we signed him in January it was reported that we had agreed a permeant fee structure of £6m on survival or £4m on relegation.  https://twitter.com/WBAReport/status/1355826925919465474?s=20 and it is on fotospor.com - nothing to say any of this is true but that was what was put out there back in January when he first came in. It would make sense on the basis their owner needs money in and wanted a guaranteed permanent deal done this summer so took the deal on the basis we would be signing him even if he flopped. Very similar to what we did with Pereira.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #557 on: May 07, 2021, 01:36:29 PM »
When we signed him in January it was reported that we had agreed a permeant fee structure of £6m on survival or £4m on relegation.  https://twitter.com/WBAReport/status/1355826925919465474?s=20 and it is on fotospor.com - nothing to say any of this is true but that was what was put out there back in January when he first came in. It would make sense on the basis their owner needs money in and wanted a guaranteed permanent deal done this summer so took the deal on the basis we would be signing him even if he flopped. Very similar to what we did with Pereira.

Jacko was answering my question about where the comments that we were interested in Diagne in the Summer had come from, not how much we would pay for him.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #558 on: May 07, 2021, 04:19:45 PM »

Why would they lie about that?

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #559 on: May 07, 2021, 04:22:47 PM »

Yeah, the commentary team mentioned it during the game.  To be honest, I take any media rumours pre-signing with a grain of salt - I think they basically take player X and match him up with a suitable set of clubs.  No reason to think they'd make this up - and the team will have spoken to players and staff around the club.  All it takes is "Yeah, there were talks in the summer" in a conversation.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #560 on: May 07, 2021, 04:38:27 PM »
Why would they lie about that?

Spin out of the club. No suggestion from me the commentators didn't repeat it in good faith.

If it is true it paints the summer window in an even worse light than it's already perceived.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #561 on: May 07, 2021, 04:53:49 PM »

I'd misheard and thought they said they were targets for this summer but they made the approach earlier than planned in January - more plausible to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #562 on: May 08, 2021, 01:49:52 PM »
Spin out of the club. No suggestion from me the commentators didn't repeat it in good faith.

If it is true it paints the summer window in an even worse light than it's already perceived.

So the club's lying to the commentators to make the club look bad? Maybe there's all sorts of reasons why we didn't sign them in the summer, such as clubs not willing to agree a move, asking for too much, players waiting on other deals.  Why assume the most negative view?

Occam's Razor points to it more likely being the truth than weird lies put out by the club.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #563 on: May 08, 2021, 01:58:27 PM »
So the club's lying to the commentators to make the club look bad? Maybe there's all sorts of reasons why we didn't sign them in the summer, such as clubs not willing to agree a move, asking for too much, players waiting on other deals.  Why assume the most negative view?

Occam's Razor points to it more likely being the truth than weird lies put out by the club.
I have to say it smelt like Dowling spin for me trying to cover his part in the pathetic Summer window , all guess work until proven though .

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #564 on: May 08, 2021, 02:01:15 PM »
The commentator may also have been burbling for the sake of burbling. It's been known to happen from time to time.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #565 on: May 09, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »

There is not one credible link from either a trash site or local journo to suggest we were courting him in the summer.

It also goes against the previous history of recruitment at this club.

Had we really been interested in him in the summer but decided that the alternative of Grant at nigh on 15m was the better option then Dowling should be sacked for gross incompetence 

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #566 on: May 09, 2021, 11:20:10 AM »
I don’t doubt it personally. Club refused to stump up the necessary cash, only to later do so out of desperation. Sounds very Albion like to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2021, 08:17:45 AM »
There is not one credible link from either a trash site or local journo to suggest we were courting him in the summer.

It also goes against the previous history of recruitment at this club.

Had we really been interested in him in the summer but decided that the alternative of Grant at nigh on 15m was the better option then Dowling should be sacked for gross incompetence

I don't understand why the commentators aren't a credible link?  They'll have been around the club and talking to the players/staff all season.  Why would they just make random lies up while on air?  I'm not sure why it would be against our previous recruitment either, to enquire after players in the summer and go back in January?

Like I said, we've no idea what went on in the summer, maybe Bilic said no, maybe Dowling preferred other options, maybe their clubs wanted expensive permanent deals, maybe we ran out of time, could be loads of reasons.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #568 on: May 10, 2021, 08:26:16 AM »
I don't understand why the commentators aren't a credible link?  They'll have been around the club and talking to the players/staff all season.  Why would they just make random lies up while on air?  I'm not sure why it would be against our previous recruitment either, to enquire after players in the summer and go back in January?

Like I said, we've no idea what went on in the summer, maybe Bilic said no, maybe Dowling preferred other options, maybe their clubs wanted expensive permanent deals, maybe we ran out of time, could be loads of reasons.

We’re taking the words of some nauseating Peter Drury wannabe commentator as gospel when there has not been one plausible link to Diange from those around the club.

You’re trying to spin my previous recruitment line and you know damn well what I am referring to. All of our recruitment under Luke Dowling has been entirely domestic based aside from the Bilic recommendations of Pereira and Krovinovic. Given our domestic obsession I see it as unlikely that we were courting players from abroad in the summer.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #569 on: May 10, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »

How are a couple of random commentators going to have been around the club and players all season given Covid' restrictions? I don't mean to burst your bubble but they won't have been in Albion's.

Commentators come out with random rollocks all the time. They burble randomly to fill air time. It's quite literally part of their job description. I could be wrong but I can't help but think you're looking for something that isn't there.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #570 on: May 10, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »
Sky Sports are also the very worst of sources IMO. They know nothing

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
According to twitter account Ajansspor, which has over 156K followers, this is happening...

"The parties are at the table regarding the Mbaye Diagne issue, which Galatasaray fans are waiting for news about its sale.

West Bromwich made a net offer of 5 million euros. Galatasaray's expectation is 7 million euros."

This is a translated tweet which is why it's worded a little strange!

VANDERLEI

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
I'd be very happy if we signed Diagne permanently. I think he would be prolific in the Championship and showed me to.enough to believe he can be successful in the Prem

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #573 on: July 10, 2021, 11:52:48 AM »
Not a player who is going to run himself into the ground pressing the ball. Thought he flattered to deceive a lot of the time, so I'd rather we look elsewhere

He/him

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
We are offering what works out to around 4m quid. Think he would do well in the EFL but on big wages and will he fit the system although none of us know what that actually will be yet.