Author Topic: Nathan Ferguson Joins Crystal Palace  (Read 202308 times)

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

Re: Nathan Ferguson Joins Crystal Palace
« Reply #925 on: May 24, 2021, 08:24:28 AM »
I haven't got a membership so can't read the article, but David Ornstein is reporting that Ferguson has followed Eze in suffering an Achilles injury

https://theathletic.com/2607354/?source=twitteruk

Without reading the article I can't tell how serious but the comments on twitter suggest her has tore it, so probably out most of next season as well.

Not sure where that leaves us transfer fee wise, but I can't imagine we will be getting much for him now. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires young. 4 or 5 injuries in the space of 18 months.

Didn’t it go to tribunal, correct me if I’m wrong but that fee would be settled on his potential when he was here not what he goes on to do?

On a player note, never nice to see someone suffer a serious injury, kid seems to have no luck. May be 18 months/2 years before he gets back to any sort of form.

Wish him well with his recovery.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #926 on: May 24, 2021, 08:44:15 AM »
I haven't got a membership so can't read the article, but David Ornstein is reporting that Ferguson has followed Eze in suffering an Achilles injury

Without reading the article I can't tell how serious but the comments on twitter suggest her has tore it, so probably out most of next season as well.

Not sure where that leaves us transfer fee wise, but I can't imagine we will be getting much for him now. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires young. 4 or 5 injuries in the space of 18 months.

Firstly, feel for the lad, that is really tough, secondly the tribunal fee should be TOTALLY unaffected by injuries sustained after he left here. "If the fee is in anyway affected the club should take this to court as its not "fair trading".

it does sometimes feel like we are on the receiving end of this sort of rubbish far too often, (Barca for example)
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBA.R.K

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #927 on: May 24, 2021, 08:47:16 AM »
Didn’t it go to tribunal, correct me if I’m wrong but that fee would be settled on his potential when he was here not what he goes on to do?

On a player note, never nice to see someone suffer a serious injury, kid seems to have no luck. May be 18 months/2 years before he gets back to any sort of form.

Wish him well with his recovery.

According to Masi on the E&S podcast both clubs want to avoid a tribunal as they tend to leave both sides feeling unsatisfied. Apparently we may write off some of the fee in exchange for a player. e.g. last summer before signing Grady, we were in talks with them for Andros Townsend

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #928 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »

Just read the article and it said not as serious as Ezes but looking at another 6 months out

Tribunal fees should be based on the time he signed not on what's gone on since surely.

Not accepting that slightly lower offer was another case of shooting ourselves in the foot regardless.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #929 on: May 24, 2021, 09:37:42 AM »

I didn't know this but in all honesty when I opened the thread I genuinely expected to read he'd retired due to injuries.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #930 on: May 24, 2021, 10:07:45 AM »
Read the article - not as bad as Eze's, and it's hoped that he will return before the end of 2021, but frustrating as he was maybe going to make the bench yesterday only to suffer another setback
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: May 24, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
Even then he'll have been out for 2 years at that point with numerous different injuries, difficult to imagine you could ever be the same player after that. Not too mention he must surely just be very injury prone in general, I believe he'd had a long term injury while in our academy also.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #932 on: May 24, 2021, 02:35:39 PM »
Surely it should have been sorted by now, either by negotiation or by the tribunal? Seems a ridiculous amount of time.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #933 on: July 26, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »
Anyone have an update on where we are with this?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #934 on: July 26, 2021, 05:07:08 PM »
It was reported that the tribunal had been held but no result has been published yet, unless our local media have just missed the boat.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #935 on: July 28, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
Just been on the Crystal Palace web site and Nathan is named in their squad and will wear the number 36 shirt.

I was a little confused when reading Palaces bio of Nathan (see below) when it said he joined them as a “free agent after his contract had expire”. Are we still expecting to receive a fee given their description of how he joined them?

Nathan Ferguson

One of the Championship's most highly rated defenders following his breakthrough season with West Bromwich Albion in 2019/20, Ferguson battled his way to fitness after signing for Palace in summer 2020.

Nathan Ferguson signed for Crystal Palace as the club's first arrival of the summer 2020 window, penning a contract until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Ferguson, then-19, joined as a free agent following his contract expiration at West Bromwich Albion, where he developed since the age of eight, rising through the Academy ranks.

Just a teenager, he had his breakthrough campaign in 2019/20, starting West Brom’s first game of the season in a 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest and grabbing an assist.

The following month, he netted his first and only senior Baggies goal in a 2-0 victory over Queens Park Rangers.

Ferguson continued to play regularly for West Brom until a knee injury curtailed his season after 21 appearances.

Before this, the young full-back rose through West Brom’s youth setup from the age of eight. He has also represented England at Under-18, U19 and U20 level - collecting one, three and four caps at the respective age groups.

Ferguson is happy to play across the backline, but, more specifically, he can operate in both full-back positions, where he is comfortable and assured.

He is right-footed but versatile on the pitch, with the passing vision to contribute to offensive passages - very much in the mould of the 'modern' full-back.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #936 on: July 28, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
The context of Free in free agent is that he could choose where he went without being tied to a club. It's not that his registration would be free in the financial sense.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #937 on: July 28, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
I may be ill informed here, but I thought, under Bowman Rules, when a players contract expired the club no longer held his registration.

I’m just hoping that because of his age when he left us, we can expect some compensation for his loss to the club that signed him.

This whole issue of young players running contracts down and clubs that have made a big investment in developing them needs reviewing.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #938 on: July 28, 2021, 02:42:44 PM »
Due to his age while he can run down his contract and as long as we offer him terms the club he joins has to pay us a reasonable transfer fee, if the two clubs cannot reach agreement that fee is determined at tribunal.

So yes we will get a transfer fee.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #939 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:58 PM »
Due to his age while he can run down his contract and as long as we offer him terms the club he joins has to pay us a reasonable transfer fee, if the two clubs cannot reach agreement that fee is determined at tribunal.

So yes we will get a transfer fee.

Good clarification, I didnt realise that was the key factor, thank you.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

tlms-p23

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #940 on: August 30, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
Any idea where things are with this? Remember hearing we might get approx £10-12m at one point? Does the fact he hasn't kicked a ball in 18 months impact the compensation fee? are we due a fee based on his potential value at the time of his leaving?

Bizarre one this - no idea how it works

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #941 on: August 30, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
Any idea where things are with this? Remember hearing we might get approx £10-12m at one point? Does the fact he hasn't kicked a ball in 18 months impact the compensation fee? are we due a fee based on his potential value at the time of his leaving?

Bizarre one this - no idea how it works

His value would be based on what he was worth at the time we sold him. The fact he's been crocked since has no impact. Athletic said a month or 2 ago that tribunal has been held but seems odd, surely would have decided on a fee by now.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #942 on: August 30, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
His value would be based on what he was worth at the time we sold him. The fact he's been crocked since has no impact. Athletic said a month or 2 ago that tribunal has been held but seems odd, surely would have decided on a fee by now.

Do you know that for a fact? I've seen a few people on here say it but haven't seen it come from a reliable source. Are we sure we aren't just projecting what we think should be the case, rather than what is the reality?

I have no idea how tribunals work, but wouldn't be all that shocked if they took into consideration he has been injured for 6 months at the time.of him signing.
Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #943 on: August 30, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »
Do you know that for a fact? I've seen a few people on here say it but haven't seen it come from a reliable source. Are we sure we aren't just projecting what we think should be the case, rather than what is the reality?

I have no idea how tribunals work, but wouldn't be all that shocked if they took into consideration he has been injured for 6 months at the time.of him signing.

Everyone whos ever said anything about it says so. I don't just mean this deal.

Agree his injury will have wiped some money off. Thats why we were daft not to take their 2nd lower offer once the injury came to light. We will probably only get around that anyway just over a year late.

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #944 on: August 30, 2021, 07:06:35 PM »
Palace have been happy to pay his wages for all this time so they must value him highly.  The tribunal must take this into account

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #945 on: August 30, 2021, 07:18:12 PM »
It's now over 14 months since he signed for Palace, it's shameful that the tribunal should take this long to make a decision.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #946 on: August 30, 2021, 07:53:06 PM »
It's now over 14 months since he signed for Palace, it's shameful that the tribunal should take this long to make a decision.

It has supposedly made its decision, but for some reason it hasn't been made public
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #947 on: August 30, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
Everyone whos ever said anything about it says so. I don't just mean this deal.

Agree his injury will have wiped some money off. Thats why we were daft not to take their 2nd lower offer once the injury came to light. We will probably only get around that anyway just over a year late.

I haven't read or heard anything to say it definitely will be based purely on his value at the point of transfer, but I may have missed something.

There is precious little information out there about tribunals, but what there is suggests they can be quite flexible. The one example I read from the Guardian covered Luke Garbett's move from Leeds to Everton. The tribunal eventually decided there would be a graduated fee based on appearances and England call ups.

It could easily be the case that the tribunal stagger the fee in that way - a decision which would ultimately hurt us due to his increasingly worrying injury record.

It is worth remembering as well that Palace didn't sign a fit player who then got injured - he played 2 games for us in January 2020 and they eventually signed him some 6 months later. Palace can rightly claim they took a chance on a player with a long term injury which it was known at the time might be career defining. We can't deny that - we didn't use him at all that second half of the season. That surely has to be factored in, even if they don't consider what has happened post July 2020.

Boing Boing

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #948 on: August 30, 2021, 08:52:31 PM »
True. As I say I believe Palace offered us around 8-9m once his injury came to light and we tried to play hardball with them.

I imagine his fee would be somewhere around that with a million or 2 knocked off. We should have snapped their hands off for a crocked player who we knew was never going to resign with us.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #949 on: August 30, 2021, 09:06:37 PM »
....It is worth remembering as well that Palace didn't sign a fit player who then got injured - he played 2 games for us in January 2020 and they eventually signed him some 6 months later. Palace can rightly claim they took a chance on a player with a long term injury which it was known at the time might be career defining. We can't deny that......

There was absolutely no indication at the time that his knee problems may be career defining. None at all, don't forget our medical team advised against surgical intervention.

If it was thought to be potentially career defining he wouldn't have been placed on the terms he's on. That contract wouldn't have been a gamble. It would have been blindingly stupid.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.