Author Topic: Dara O'Shea  (Read 99400 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Dara O'Shea
« Reply #275 on: September 06, 2021, 11:31:08 AM »
Like sure, we have a player who can play in that position but O'Shea has been the stand out defender so far and our backups are barely Championship quality.
Don't worry, Button can cover there as he's tall and can probably win a header or two occasionally!  ;D He'd probably be a better bet than playing Livermore there...

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2021, 12:18:39 PM »
Because we have 4 fit CH's, with others who can cover.
The fact that you don't rate any of them is a different matter. By your rational, Dara was the only one any good, so we were doomed anyway, we're just a bit more doomed now.  :)
Hopefully Ish has a bit more faith.

Well equipped would be having half decent replacements - if I was to step in a CH it wouldn't mean we're well equipped there.  Every club will have players who *could* play in other positions - how well equipped you are is determined by the quality of the replacements.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: September 06, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »
Well equipped would be having half decent replacements - if I was to step in a CH it wouldn't mean we're well equipped there.  Every club will have players who *could* play in other positions - how well equipped you are is determined by the quality of the replacements.
We have 3 accomplished Championship CH's and 1 Academy prospect, plus 3 others who have played there during their careers. I think you can leave your boots in the cupboard.

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #278 on: September 06, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
Livermore as a CH?  Can you imagine?

Livermore did actually play as a centre half in a back three for Hull I believe and was, by all accounts, decent. I have a feeling he played there in an FA Cup final and that it carried on into their promotion season the following campaign but I could be wrong.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #279 on: September 06, 2021, 01:26:11 PM »
Livermore did actually play as a centre half in a back three for Hull I believe and was, by all accounts, decent. I have a feeling he played there in an FA Cup final and that it carried on into their promotion season the following campaign but I could be wrong.

He played in midfield in the Cup final. He played 9 games for Hull as a centre back in the Pl in 2016.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2021, 01:45:49 PM »
I'm sure Livermore is ok there, but then it would mess up our midfield two who have been excellent so far.
Maybe a 1 year deal for Kean Bryan is in order.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »
With him out we have no cover at full back.

Furlong will continue to get yellow cards for time wasting at throw ins. So there's a suspension just around the corner. 

I have said all along the only team that will do us out of promotion is ourselves.

The squad is far too thin and with the O'shea injury we will suffer for that.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2021, 03:17:15 PM »
With him out we have no cover at full back.

Furlong will continue to get yellow cards for time wasting at throw ins. So there's a suspension just around the corner. 

I have said all along the only team that will do us out of promotion is ourselves.

The squad is far too thin and with the O'shea injury we will suffer for that.

Phillips, Reach, Ingram and Gardener Hickman can all cover wing back positions (we don't use full backs in this system).
 If Phillips is at RWB then either Diangana or Robinson can play right forward with Grant playing left and Hugill through the middle.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2021, 05:57:46 PM »
How are we well equipped though?  Kipre has looked poor since he signed for us, Ajayi has a clanger in him every game and it says a lot that Bartley is still first choice.  We're not going to play Furlong in there as we need him in his current position.  Townsend looks shakey enough in his first choice position let alone sticking him in as CH.  And Livermore as a CH?  Can you imagine?

Like sure, we have a player who can play in that position but O'Shea has been the stand out defender so far and our backups are barely Championship quality.

Unless someone was going to take Kipre and Ajayi off our hands then there was no chance of us signing an additional centre half when we are rather bloated for bodies.

Clarke, Bartley, Ajayi, O’Shea, Kipre and Taylor should be more than good enough for this season.

It’s unfortunate that Dara and Clarke picked up injuries but that’s the nature of the beast - we should not be running with anymore than 6 centre halves at the club when there’s only three positions available.

Whether we are equipped in other positions is a an entirely different debate.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »
Unless someone was going to take Kipre and Ajayi off our hands then there was no chance of us signing an additional centre half when we are rather bloated for bodies.

Clarke, Bartley, Ajayi, O’Shea, Kipre and Taylor should be more than good enough for this season.

It’s unfortunate that Dara and Clarke picked up injuries but that’s the nature of the beast - we should not be running with anymore than 6 centre halves at the club when there’s only three positions available.

Whether we are equipped in other positions is a an entirely different debate.

Bryan signing today  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2021, 06:05:29 PM »
Bryan signing today  ;D

I wonder if they know something about Dara that we don’t   :D

With a bit of luck he’ll bring his mrs down here too  ;D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »
I wonder if they know something about Dara that we don’t   :D

With a bit of luck he’ll bring his mrs down here too  ;D

I'd rather have her sister Rosie  :P  I dont think i ever recall seeing her here with Scott Sinclair sadly.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2021, 06:56:24 PM »
Phillips, Reach, Ingram and Gardener Hickman can all cover wing back positions (we don't use full backs in this system).
 If Phillips is at RWB then either Diangana or Robinson can play right forward with Grant playing left and Hugill through the middle.

Phillips too slow to play wing back. Put a fast winger on him and he is toast !  Reach is useless and the other two are kids who again would be roasted by an half decent winger. You can't just drop a young kid into a side pushing for promotion and expect them to perform to the required level.

You really need to take off your blue and white glasses and look at the situation as it really is and the situation is the squad is far too thin and it will cost us later on in the season.  This club has got no ambition because they spent nothing in the last transfer window.  That speaks volume about the ambition of the club.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2021, 06:57:54 PM »
Bryan signing today  ;D

WOW   Another player without a club so we pick em up for nothing.  There is a reason why he hasn't got a club !

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2021, 07:04:09 PM »
Phillips too slow to play wing back. Put a fast winger on him and he is toast !  Reach is useless and the other two are kids who again would be roasted by an half decent winger. You can't just drop a young kid into a side pushing for promotion and expect them to perform to the required level.

You really need to take off your blue and white glasses and look at the situation as it really is and the situation is the squad is far too thin and it will cost us later on in the season.  This club has got no ambition because they spent nothing in the last transfer window.  That speaks volume about the ambition of the club.
But Phillips is quicker than Townsend or Reach - in any case Phillips is better utilised elsewhere.
Think generally we've gone too negative too early on Kipre. We haven't seen enough of him yet.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: September 07, 2021, 05:49:07 PM »
Out for 4-6 months according to OS. Fractured ankle and ligament damage.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2021, 05:52:38 PM »
Well, that sucks. That said, i think we have a solid back 4 there still without him (Bar any more injuries) but O'shea was playing so well

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2021, 05:54:08 PM »
Well, that sucks. That said, i think we have a solid back 4 there still without him (Bar any more injuries) but O'shea was playing so well

Yes big shame for Dara, hopefully it's 4 months not the 6 but a long time regardless.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2021, 05:56:34 PM »
Broken ankle. Certainly won't see him again in 2021. Could be as far off as March next year before he's fit.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2021, 05:59:26 PM »
He's been doing really well this season, so it's a great shame both for him and for us. All the best to him for as swift and full a recovery as possible. Here's the wording from the official site:

"Dara O’Shea has been ruled out for four to six months after suffering a fractured ankle while on international duty with the Republic of Ireland. The 22-year-old, who has also sustained ligament damage, will require surgery to rectify the injury before a period of rehabilitation. O’Shea was withdrawn from Stephen Kenny’s Ireland squad last week after limping off during the 2-1 defeat by Portugal.

Baggies boss Valérien Ismaël admits the absence of a key centre-half will be a challenge but is pleased to have acquired Kean Bryan so quickly after the injury was sustained.

He said: 'It is sad news for us that Dara has suffered this injury. He has been excellent for us in the opening games of the season, and he is a very professional young player. I have been very impressed with Dara since I arrived here, and I know he will dedicate himself to the rehabilitation required to get back to full fitness. Fortunately, the club reacted very quickly to the injury and we have signed Kean Bryan to strengthen our defensive options during Dara’s injury and beyond.'
"

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
Could be a bit of a sliding doors moment for Dara. Early signs were that he fitted Ismael's system perfectly. Had he played a full season under him as first choice and then got promotion, he could easily be a premier league starter for us next season and our first home grown regular in ages. Having 6 months out however doesn't give him much time to usurp those who will have had the full season. Gutted for him.
Boing Boing

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
Feel sorry for Dara he has come into his own this season but these things happen I am sure he will come back stronger than ever.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2021, 06:18:17 PM »
Bad news for him and for us. His improvement this season has been noticeable. He will have to dedicate himself to getting back and hope we don't see a setback that Diangana suffered after his injury. Good though that the club have acted quickly to bring in Bryan and we shall see if he measures up to the task.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #298 on: September 07, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »
Terrible news as he’s been excellent for us. Would explain the addition of Bryan to provide us with additional cover.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: September 07, 2021, 08:34:31 PM »
He's been our best player during the opening games of the season. Gutted for him and us. It's terrible luck.

Wish him all the best with his recovery.