Author Topic: Joleon Lescott  (Read 245674 times)

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

Re: Joleon Lescott Joins Aston Villa
« Reply #1000 on: September 23, 2015, 07:21:50 PM »
Sherwood seems (from both his Villa and Spurs days) a great 'supply teacher' kind of a manager.
Comes in, plays the 'one of the gang' card and seemingly wins everyone over and results improve.
Longer term though, that starts to wear a bit thin and then he's stuck as he's been 'in the gang' and can't then hold the necessary authority over the players.
I was thinking this the other day, let's hope he stays long enough to send them down.

Sessegod

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1001 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
Sherwood seems (from both his Villa and Spurs days) a great 'supply teacher' kind of a manager.
Comes in, plays the 'one of the gang' card and seemingly wins everyone over and results improve.
Longer term though, that starts to wear a bit thin and then he's stuck as he's been 'in the gang' and can't then hold the necessary authority over the players.

you are right, can only be their mate till you have to really manage them, then all your authority has gone
Even Cillit would have banged that one in..

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1002 on: September 26, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »

smosher34

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1003 on: September 26, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
they don't seem very happy with Lescott lol

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1004 on: September 26, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »
http://www.villatalk.com/topic/13849-joleon-lescott/?page=25

This thread makes great reading  :P

We got rid of him and got Jonny Evans. Looking a good bit of business :D

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1005 on: September 26, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »
Yeah I'd be feeling quite smug about this if we hadn't been mugged by L'pool in the Lambert deal. Lescott was more than decent for us last year but the slide is quite evident now, it always happens to players at the end of their careers the trick is not to be employing them when it does.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1006 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
Yeah I'd be feeling quite smug about this if we hadn't been mugged by L'pool in the Lambert deal. Lescott was more than decent for us last year but the slide is quite evident now, it always happens to players at the end of their careers the trick is not to be employing them when it does.

Unlike Lescott, Lambert was never quick, I've been surprised how awful he has been so far but I think he could improve and contribute. He put in a great ball for Rondon against Stoke. Clutching at straws. To think Lescott was our player of the season last year. In his defence I think Villa play a higher line and give their defenders much less protection.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1007 on: September 27, 2015, 04:47:21 PM »

Unlike Lescott, Lambert was never quick, I've been surprised how awful he has been so far but I think he could improve and contribute. He put in a great ball for Rondon against Stoke. Clutching at straws. To think Lescott was our player of the season last year. In his defence I think Villa play a higher line and give their defenders much less protection.
Definitely, you don't just become a bad player over-night, at least with Lambert he was clearly poor for a good season before coming here. I believe Lescott would still look good with our defence, but then again we don't have a clown of a manager.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1008 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »
totall agree  slow  made a lot of mistakes good riddence to him

Good riddance is very harsh. He was good last season. We may have let him go at the right time but I don't think we should be disresepectful of the time he had with us.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1009 on: September 27, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »
Good riddance is very harsh. He was good last season. We may have let him go at the right time but I don't think we should be disresepectful of the time he had with us.
Too much sense.

mank baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1010 on: September 28, 2015, 03:55:04 AM »
Why are we still talking about him?

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1011 on: September 28, 2015, 08:25:08 AM »
Why are we still talking about him?

Because he could have a very big part in the villa going down  :D.

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2015, 09:46:50 AM »
Lescott is a good player in the right system.

A defensive system such as ours suited him. In Villa's more open style, he'll get found out.
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
I think some people are being a bit kind to him. He started to struggle towards the end of last season so not a massive surprise he has struggled at Villa so far IMO. Take Leicester's 3rd goal at the end of last season for example, I know GMac cocked up but Lescott got nowhere Vardy.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1014 on: September 28, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »
I think some people are being a bit kind to him. He started to struggle towards the end of last season so not a massive surprise he has struggled at Villa so far IMO. Take Leicester's 3rd goal at the end of last season for example, I know GMac cocked up but Lescott got nowhere Vardy.

Not many centre halves would to be honest he is rapid!

As for Lescott I appreciate him for last season, he was player of the year as voted for and deserves a bit more respect.

However, it looks like his legs have gone and this is why Pulis had no problem letting him go
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1015 on: November 27, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
DEAL DONE: Third-tier Spanish side Racing Murcia have signed Joleon Lescott. The former Man City defender has agreed to play in their Copa del Rey tie against Levante. (Source: @racingmurciafc)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1016 on: November 27, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
DEAL DONE: Third-tier Spanish side Racing Murcia have signed Joleon Lescott. The former Man City defender has agreed to play in their Copa del Rey tie against Levante. (Source: @racingmurciafc)
How old is he now I swear he is a pundit on 5 live sometimes
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Political Cake

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

• Oh So Fabulous

Re: Joleon Lescott
« Reply #1017 on: November 28, 2020, 08:31:45 AM »
Ex-player playing elsewhere, moved to General Football.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill
WestBromwichAlbion