Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1757724 times)

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1075 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
What a disgrace, I want him to focus on trivial matters.
A number of people have been trying to emphasise that he'll be coaching rather than managing and, therefore, what happened at Preston and Sheff Wed is irrelevant. I haven't seen any Preston and Sheff Wed fans complaining about his contract negotation skills, so his match-related performance at those clubs certainly is relevant, as he has now indicated himself. You can spare me the sarcasm too - I haven't directed any towards you.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: June 18, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
A number of people have been trying to emphasise that he'll be coaching rather than managing and, therefore, what happened at Preston and Sheff Wed is irrelevant. I haven't seen any Preston and Sheff Wed fans complaining about his contract negotation skills, so his match-related performance at those clubs certainly is relevant, as he has now indicated himself. You can spare me the sarcasm too - I haven't directed any towards you.

It's not directed at you either it's a tongue in cheek response to more positive news, nothing aimed at you apologies. Those fans did say his signings were poor however which is valid here.

James Nursey the mirror correspondent posted this:

@JamesNursey: Was at #WBA today. After speaking to Irvine & Burton , the 'shock' decision certainly made more sense. Bound to be better than Mel!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:17:07 PM by PsalmXXIII »

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
It's not directed at you either it's a tongue in cheek response to more positive news, nothing aimed at you apologies
No worries.

@JamesNursey: Was at #WBA today. After speaking to Irvine & Burton , the 'shock' decision certainly made more sense. Bound to be better than Mel!
I'm sure we can still agree on our disdain for James Nursey's ridiculously simplistic put-down of Pepe Mel at least!  :D

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1078 on: June 18, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
we all know he was deemed to have failed at both Preston and Sheff Wed and at Sheff Wed there doesn't seem to be much of an argument but the Preston failure does slightly baffle me, hear me out before i get shot down i am just trying to even it out for a bloke who's only mistake for people to dislike him is the fact he got offered a job and accepted it,

he kept Preston up and then the following year took them to the play offs whic they lost, he then thought as 99.9% of us did that he was getting our job (RDM GOT IT) which may have affected how he looked at things and with also the play off loss effect he had a bad start and ultimately paid the price with the sack,

Sheff Wed were in a mess and probably wondering why he took the job but started well they then hit a bad patch where they drew a lot then ultimately went 7 games (i believe) without a win leading to him being sacked, at the time according to the article this report was in they were 7 points of the play offs but only 5 points of relegation but really had to put up with lots of stuff behind the scenes

so although he was no ones choice i think having calmed down the bloke deserves a chance at least as some of the things said about him are not the fan base i'm used too were better than that are we not

the article was in the Star (sheffield one i think local paper)   

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1079 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
No worries.
I'm sure we can still agree on our disdain for James Nursey's ridiculously simplistic put-down of Pepe Mel at least!  :D

Too right, but we've come to expect it from that rag.

In other news, and for Spencer who was fuming over the 15 minute conference and Peace's absence, he was there and answered questions about the hiring of Irvine.

http://www.freeradio.co.uk/news/uncategorized/jeremy-peace-exclusive/

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1080 on: June 18, 2014, 04:35:27 PM »
Sheff Wed were in a mess and probably wondering why he took the job but started well they then hit a bad patch where they drew a lot then ultimately went 7 games (i believe) without a win leading to him being sacked, at the time according to the article this report was in they were 7 points of the play offs but only 5 points of relegation but really had to put up with lots of stuff behind the scenes
You're missing that they got relegated from the Championship with him in charge and he was then sacked with them 12th or 13th in League 1 the following season (in January 2011).

I suspect he'll have to put up with lots of stuff behind the scenes at Albion as well!  ;D

monkey nuts

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1081 on: June 18, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
as i say should have checked properly but the article stated he was sacked before but i could have misunderstood and may have meant sacked before exciting league 1 i'll try and find it out  :D

Paulsammax

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1082 on: June 18, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
Like many I was surprised by the appointment as I thought the sherwood appointment was going through. However, I would rather not have someone who is simply accepting a job here until something better comes along. I'm frankly appalled by some of the comments on here aimed at Alan Irvine. I've supported this wonderful club for 40 years and one thing that we are normally good at is welcoming new people and giving them a chance. Remember, we were the club  that embraced black footballers when other clubs so called fans were openly chanting racist abuse.  We have always been a class above that but this week I think some on here have not acted in the spirit of true Albion fans. In view of this I think those of us who want to welcome our new Head Coach should post their greetings and give the guy a chance

ian66

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: June 18, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
He comes across well to be fair and he could actually lure Lescott in, but still can't hide away from his  failures at Sheff Wed and Preston. Maybe with a better structure and better players it might work. I will give him a chance and hope he proves me wrong.
This quote from The Birmingham Mail wrote by Ally Robertson regarding AI appointment.

”And if you look closely at what happened at his previous clubs then the Preston fans were certainly unhappy about his sacking after he had taken them into the play-offs. And at Sheffield Wednesday the club were cutting costs and on a downward spiral before he arrived. He was given precious little time to turn it around.

“He needed a magic wand there.”

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: June 18, 2014, 04:51:06 PM »
Totally with your sentiments.

Welcome Alan, and good luck. It's a great club, I hope you're here for a long time because if you are it will mean we're doing well.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1085 on: June 18, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
In other news, and for Spencer who was fuming over the 15 minute conference and Peace's absence, he was there and answered questions about the hiring of Irvine.

http://www.freeradio.co.uk/news/uncategorized/jeremy-peace-exclusive/
You can't help but think he should have been in the press conference if he was there. I didn't expect much from a Tom Ross interview and he didn't disappoint! One obvious question that wasn't asked was "what are you going to do to engage better with the fans?".

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: June 18, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
This quote from The Birmingham Mail wrote by Ally Robertson regarding AI appointment.

”And if you look closely at what happened at his previous clubs then the Preston fans were certainly unhappy about his sacking after he had taken them into the play-offs. And at Sheffield Wednesday the club were cutting costs and on a downward spiral before he arrived. He was given precious little time to turn it around.

“He needed a magic wand there.”

Yes. Someone called Ali Rob's remarks patronising.i asked them to explain as I don't  see them that way but I don't think they ever responded (can't remember who it was).

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1087 on: June 18, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »
Some of our fans need to grow up and accept he's our manager. Yes, it seems like an awful decision but at least give him a few games to prove himself before you moan at him...

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1088 on: June 18, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
You can't help but think he should have been in the press conference if he was there. I didn't expect much from a Tom Ross interview and he didn't disappoint! One obvious question that wasn't asked was "what are you going to do to engage better with the fans?".

CL has said he interviewed Peace too so we may get something more there. Tom might as well have asked what he's having for tea. But that said I don't see the arrogance, ignorance and cluelessness that he's apparently guilty of.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1089 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:12 PM »
Yes. Someone called Ali Rob's remarks patronising.i asked them to explain as I don't  see them that way but I don't think they ever responded (can't remember who it was).
It was me and I did respond.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1090 on: June 18, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »
I don't want to stir things, but my Dad's friend used to be involved with Everton behind the scenes and is still a regular face around the place and i believe he's a ST holder still, and he told my Dad that even in the Everton Youth Squads he was regarded as a 3rd rate coach and he wasn't thought of highly by the board at all. He also thinks that is an absolutely disasterous appointment and we're very likely to be relegated.

Why would they keep him on?

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1091 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Why would they keep him on?

And re-hire him after he left them the first time?

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: June 18, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »
Let's just hope we can get the Lescott signing in. Getting a player like that on board early in his career here will go some way to getting fans on board.

Impressed with his interviews too, said all the right things, very likeable guy too which will help him win the fans over.

I said it a few days ago but I think he'll do well here, and definitely a better option than Sherwood who I'm certain would have been a proper disaster.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1093 on: June 18, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
CL has said he interviewed Peace too so we may get something more there. Tom might as well have asked what he's having for tea. But that said I don't see the arrogance, ignorance and cluelessness that he's apparently guilty of.
A bit harsh on Tom Ross that I don't think he's that clueless.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1094 on: June 18, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »
It was me and I did respond.

Sorry, didn't see it. Do you mind telling me again?

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: June 18, 2014, 06:20:44 PM »
Starting to calm down a little after hearing Irvine speak. My anger was never with him. If Lescott signs I will better again. I just don't wont this fragile cooling of my ire to change again with say Lescott ending up somewhere else or poor or no signings soon.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1096 on: June 18, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »
Sorry, didn't see it. Do you mind telling me again?
I can't honestly remember what I said. Go into my profile, display my posts and you should find it there without too much trouble.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1097 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »
If the lescott deal breaks down all hell will break loose i think. This has been leaked because they must know its pretty close (i hope)

wardy65

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1098 on: June 18, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
Aah ... How refreshing to read a few positive posts on here at last!

The guys in place now, let's get behind him & give him (& the club) the best chance possible.
If we can get Lescott, it'll be huge for the guy & a real statement of intent!
All the best Alan, after the initial shock I'm warming to ya!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1099 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
A few considered  thoughts on the Irvine appointment

http://lookbackinmildbewilderment.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/have-little-faith.html

In short there is no point in getting on guys case before he has even has the chance to pick a team and if he fails it will only be to the detriment of the club, as fan I can only wish him well and hope he suceeds
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.